Newbie going for it

67bronco

FNG
Been wanting to go out west for awhile, just never could make it happen or talk myself out of it. Ran across a landowner muzzleloader cow tag for NM a week or so ago. Bit the bullet and I'm going for it. Will be getting help from a fellow Clemson Alum that lives out there. I'll be full of questions. Got a good frontstuffer and a good accurate load, good binos, good day pack and such. Deff gotta get a pair of boots as my rubber lacrosses and old wore out snake boots prob wont cut it. Gotta iron out what kinda camp arrangments we are gonna do, hike in vs close to truck. If trucking it I should be good otherwise, there will have to be some new equipment on the visa. I'm a little nervous I'll be ill prepared but ive found with other hunting, a lot of the gadgets are just for show and really not needed. Guess the only way to find out is to go and try it out. Looking forward to it. If ya'll have any must have advice etc i'm all ears

efnm

WKR
I live here in NM, so here are my pointers from my last 2 years of cow hunts:

Find the water source on the property, glass from high in the morning if locating (10xs are enough), hunt the north shaded slopes near water in the afternoon where they bed to avoid the sun, and prepared to walk a lot. Let us know if you succeed.

Which unit, by the way?

ive got til December. but ive deff gotta pick out a pair soon
you still want to get new boots NOW and start breaking them in as soon as you get them. IF they don't fit well or give you problems you will want the time to try something new and for your feet to stop hurting. You will also want to test them for walking in general, then over distances, then over distance on rough terrain, then with a load over distance on rough terrain.

So, it won't be a "I'll just wear them for a few days of hiking" kind of thing.

OP

67bronco

FNG
being from that area, what type of boot do you recommend? Also know I plan to go lope hunting next fall in WY. I have merrell moabs that fit my feet well as well as rocky snake boots that are the most comfy boot ive worn but are almost worn out. (had a pair of new balances I wore to Disney world, after a day I wanted to cut my feet off. All I had in the truck were my rockys and I wore them the rest of the week in Disney with no problems)

Ive read about meindls, kenetreks and pronghorns. Also heard of some guys that wear the mid high merrels. I don't mind spending a few hundred buck on boots since they will be the difference in me killing an elk or not. I'm limited here in SC as to selection to go try on stuff.

OP

67bronco

FNG
week away. Fronstuffer is dialed in, truck is serviced and ready to ride. Im excited. Looks like its gonna be a bit chilly

efnm

WKR
Ahh, it is just NM cold. Just layer up and be prepared to shed layers once or if the sun comes out. Also, and this sounds funny, but take care of your lips because it is dry here.

Keep us in the loop, I will be out in 17 in 10 days for my cow hunt.

OP

67bronco

FNG
Ahh, it is just NM cold. Just layer up and be prepared to shed layers once or if the sun comes out. Also, and this sounds funny, but take care of your lips because it is dry here.

Keep us in the loop, I will be out in 17 in 10 days for my cow hunt.
Yeah ive been looking at weather and it might be in teens but be back in the 60’s by mid day. Deff be layering weather. Good luck to u too sir.