Can’t close the distance

Hey guys I’m in Idaho on my first archery elk hunt I had a buddy show me around a few spots for the first couple days that is familiar with the area. We have got into elk every day. First day we had two come to our bugle maybe 100 yards or so then silent. Next day it happened 4 times throughout the day. We bugle they respond from far away wait a few minutes bugle again and they are close but won’t come in. Almost all of them won’t bugle more than twice. A couple times we waited ten minutes and went to where we heard the call and they blew out of there once we waited 40 minutes and went to where we heard the call and blew out a monster with 2 smaller bulls and 30-40 cows. Today we tried to make it to where we glassed a heard from another mountain, we bumped into a grandfather son and his son cutting up a nice bull they were on horses maybe 2 miles back they said he was super tough to call in her kept hanging up and that there were a few others that dropped down the ridge, well we followed the tracks fresh crap and pee for maybe 3/4 of a mile till we catch up and saw a giant with 3 cows at 107 yards on the hillside opposite us. We sat for a couple minutes checked the wind and it kept swirling every time was different. He went up over a ridge maybe ten yards from where he was and let out a bugle I answered and that was it. We crept up the ridge and followed there tracks for a half mile before heading back. We just can’t close the distance, part of me thinks I should just creep in to where I last heard him but we have blown out a couple, bugling hasn’t helped closing the distance and yesterday I cow called for 30 minutes then moved in on him and he was gone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wrench

WKR
I am also in Idaho (panhandle )and had 9 bulls come in and hang up. I ended up stumbling on the answer as we tracked a bull we shot. When stomping around the blood trail I had a 300" bull walk in to 20 yards silent. I've called this bull in 2x to 40 but never less.

Later that night I had him in a 45 minute calling sequence and he was hung up again. I had two hunters slide in on my show and when they bust a bugle, the bull pushed off. I was about 80 yards off when this happens with good wind. I instantly gave quick cow calls and RAN at the bull. He gave me a roundup bugle and held tight. I was at about 60 when the hunters piped off again. He moved away firing roundups at me and waiting.. ..I ran out of light, but I'm confident that if the hunters hadn't been there that the brush breaking and clear action noise mixed with elk sounds that fit the situation would seal the deal.

Try making a lot of noise and try to sound like 3 elk, 2 cows and a bull......and watch your 6! I'm averaging about 40 minutes until they show up.

Good luck!

lang

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to Idaho, closing the distance is always a challenge. What Wrench said will help. Making elk noises with not as much calling can make a big difference. Also make sure you have the caller back 80-100 yards.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Stay put. You've answered your own question. I know this from experience. You aren't giving them enough time before you lose patience and screw it up. Elk don't have watches, they have all day. You keep waiting, they'll come.
Hey guys I’m in Idaho on my first archery elk hunt I had a buddy show me around a few spots for the first couple days that is familiar with the area. We have got into elk every day. First day we had two come to our bugle maybe 100 yards or so then silent. Next day it happened 4 times throughout the day. We bugle they respond from far away wait a few minutes bugle again and they are close but won’t come in. Almost all of them won’t bugle more than twice. A couple times we waited ten minutes and went to where we heard the call and they blew out of there once we waited 40 minutes and went to where we heard the call and blew out a monster with 2 smaller bulls and 30-40 cows. Today we tried to make it to where we glassed a heard from another mountain, we bumped into a grandfather son and his son cutting up a nice bull they were on horses maybe 2 miles back they said he was super tough to call in her kept hanging up and that there were a few others that dropped down the ridge, well we followed the tracks fresh crap and pee for maybe 3/4 of a mile till we catch up and saw a giant with 3 cows at 107 yards on the hillside opposite us. We sat for a couple minutes checked the wind and it kept swirling every time was different. He went up over a ridge maybe ten yards from where he was and let out a bugle I answered and that was it. We crept up the ridge and followed there tracks for a half mile before heading back. We just can’t close the distance, part of me thinks I should just creep in to where I last heard him but we have blown out a couple, bugling hasn’t helped closing the distance and yesterday I cow called for 30 minutes then moved in on him and he was gone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Try stomping around and raking. Works better if you have a caller that can position himself to do this and draw the bull in front of you, but it also works alone.

Brendan

WKR
Multiple times I've had Bulls come in dead silent about 45 minutes after I started calling. Every one of those times I've gotten up to leave and they've been watching the area and busted out. Never knew they were there.

I prefer cow calls when they're acting pressured - assembly mew works good, but you're asking them to come in, not respond. Lost Mew asks for a response, not an action. Sometimes when you bugle - their response is to round up their cows and leave because they don't want a fight and want to protect their harem/herd.

Elk will usually come only to the point where they expect to see the animal calling and then stop. They hang up looking for a visual confirmation. Need to use your setup to your advantage - call in heavier cover, use terrain features (or other callers) to your advantage so when they stop to look for you - they're already in shooting range.

Good luck!

Wrench

WKR
I suggest looking into elknut's "slow play". I use very similar tactics and have been pretty successful getting bulls to come in. The one thing, and it has been mentioned, is not to expect the bulls to come in hot. I've had herd bulls come on a string and others sneak on my 6 and scare the crap out of me. A setup that is hard to sneak on is a major help.

OP
Don Qui Puncher
Thanks everyone last night I went to a spot I saw cows a few days before for the last couple hours, bugled no response cow called started snapping branches and making a ruckus heard something coming from the thick super slow maybe covered 50 yards in 30 minutes, 10 minutes left of legal light and I heard a bugle way far away I responded then I started tearing the place up making a ton of noise and could hear the one getting closer. I hung out for a couple minutes after legal then started making my way across the field and he busted out of the thick into the clearing I was walking across. I froze he paused then turned back and went crashing back from where he came. One of these times I’ll get a shot...