Wyoming Grizzly-less units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any otc or 1 to 2 point units where a guy doesn’t have to worry about grizzlies? Debating on getting a point before the deadline, but have only researched hunting Colorado.

OP
A
For my first elk hunt, I want to worry about finding and shooting elk! I don’t want to have to think about bears too!

muddydogs

WKR
You should always be thinking about bears whether hunting in CO, WY, MT or ID. Just because there not supposed to be there doesn't mean anything. Depending on the day a black bear can be just as mean as a grizzly and don't cross a cow moose with a calf as she's more likely to try and gut stomp you an any old bear is.

Dont forget Mountain Lions, they are getting way over populated here in CO...Had one walk in broad day light by my mail box in btw a few homes, didnt care about us or the oncoming cars. They keep getting closer and closer.. and we are having more human mtn lion conflicts all the time... Best thing to do is hunt where you want and be prepared for anything, the more you do the more comfortable youll get....You first hunt out west will be a nervous experience regardless of where your at. Alot of guys come to Colorado to avoid Grizzlies, then realize our mountains are more dangerous then the bears, where bigger and way less forgiving. And the elk live in places most people never go or physically cant.

OP
A
Dont forget Mountain Lions, they are getting way over populated here in CO...Had one walk in broad day light by my mail box in btw a few homes, didnt care about us or the oncoming cars. They keep getting closer and closer.. and we are having more human mtn lion conflicts all the time... Best thing to do is hunt where you want and be prepared for anything, the more you do the more comfortable youll get....You first hunt out west will be a nervous experience regardless of where your at. Alot of guys come to Colorado to avoid Grizzlies, then realize our mountains are more dangerous then the bears, where bigger and way less forgiving. And the elk live in places most people never go or physically cant.

I’m not worried about the other species listed, I have just been unsure about grizzlies since I haven’t spent time around them or in their country.

elkguide

WKR
Having worked in the wilderness area next to Yellowstone in Wyoming, and having had many uncomfortable encounters with grizz, I too am way more concerned over cats and moose than grizz. They are all dangerous so you need to be aware of your surroundings. Unless you're retrieving an animal left over night, I'd be more concerned with a black bear in close than I would be of a grizz.

I hunted a “non-Griz” general unit last week only to have a Black bear claim my bull :D I was solo and ran the bear off. Right/wrong/indifferent, there is no way I’d do that with a Griz.

Sorry, I plead the fif on the unit but there are plenty of them worth considering.

OP
A
No need to tell me the unit! I will do some research! I have been looking at the big horns due to it only being a six hour drive. I could scout it the summer I draw.

wytx

WKR
Lots of good general areas that have no grizz. Yes there are my lions and black bears but neither of which are aggressive in Wyoming in most instances. Have encountered both black bears and mt lion in the field both ran away .
You'll have grizz concerns in NW Wyoming, not the Bighorns or other parts of the state. By NW I mean the western side down to Kemmerer and over to the Winds. Some sightings outside of that general area but those bears are not as aggressive, as of yet. Look to the central and eastern side for grizzly bear free hunting.

Riplip

WKR

Thomas11

WKR
It also looks like that federal judge threw out fish and wildlife services decision to delist them and is relisting them as endangered. No hunt this yr for grizzs. What a joke! It’s hard to imagine that all the research and the very agency that listed them as endangered in 1975 and is responsible for the management of them as an endangered species can’t make the decision to delist them?! So basically one liberal ass judge has the power to throw out years worth of research by the US fish and wildlife?! That is crazy in my opinion. On top of the that his decision trumps the states ability to manage them. And it’s not the fact that the grizz hunt that had a total of 22 tags would really have a difference in managing and controlling the population but it woulda been a start

woody6899

FNG
I hear people point out the big horns for general.... 36 and 37 are the only general areas in the big horns. Medicine bow NF would be a better direction I would think for general non griz areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Keep it on track guys. I just spent 15 minutes of my day cleaning up a bunch of childish posts. Hopefully I got them all. You all know this site is only as good as it's members so if we have to spend our day cleaning up threads we will just ban the culprits.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.