ZERO Vocalizations

I hunted in CO the first and third week of the season and the area I hunted was around 85 -88 degrees mid day on both trips and in the high 40s at night. There was some rain at night but overall pretty dry . Winds were pretty gusty at times . I heard ZERO vocalizations over both trips ( a cow did bark at me from the oak brush when she blew out at 10 yards but that was it ) . The second trip the trees were changing colors and beginning to show signs of fall ( still real warm out ). With my limited elk hunting experience ( primarily hunt Sierra Blacktail) I am just wondering if elk commonly dont vocalize / bugle until later in the season or its cooler out ? I did visually see bulls and cows but they werent heard. BTW ; I had a great time and am hooked.

marktole

WKR
I hunted from the 24 of August until the 12th of September, everyday but a few. I heard zero vocalizatuons the first 14 days I hunted. The last 3 days I hunted I got into a pocket of unpressured elk and the bulls were winding up, smaller guys going all day with a little input from the big boys. Was able to get the job done with just a few days of vocal elk.

But other than that I was experiencing similar temps and wind in two different places I hunted in CO. There is a lot of factors sorrounding when the rut occurs (photoperiod, some say moon phase plays a part, temperature is a commonly cited factor too, cow estrus cycles, etc), but I talked to several experienced local elk hunters this year who all thought the rut was going to be late because of the dryness and heat. I would say they were/are right that given when I hunted last year in Colorado (same place as this year) the elk were going nuts the first week of season.

But I am sure others have had very different experiences this year than you and I based on where they were hunting, so also keep that in mind.

OP
Violent Hippie
Thanks for the feedback and congrats Mark . Good times and awesome country out there. I'll be out there next season.

Last year in the Lolo units of Idaho it was also warm in the day and though I called and was out every day from the 1st to past the middle of Sept I heard zero Elk bugles till after the 15th but I saw no Elk either. I think it was around the 17th maybe when I heard the first bugle but it didn't come in or follow up with but one other bugle. But there was a lot of smoke in the air too so I thought that might have been a factor as well. It was also very dry till just after the middle of the month then it started raining and or snowing depending on elevation and time of day. Some locals were saying the Wolves had a influence as well and there was more wolf and bear sign than Elk sign. I saw a fair number of deer though, mostly whitetail.

nickstone

WKR
Shane, I saw elk almost every day for the first 10 days I was in central idaho this year, but they were totally silent the whole time, and they made no reaction to any sound thrown at them.

OP
Violent Hippie
Right on. Thanks for the info Nick. Seeing elk daily on your trip sounds pretty good man. Was it hot weather there as well ? Just wondering ?

geriggs

WKR
We had some vocalization. Had one or two screamers that couldnt seal the deal on, but killed two that came in silently. Some of the raghorns are timid and cautious when they know bigger bulls are around so they come in quiet to check things out. Thats exactly what happend to us. Heard hardly any cows being vocal except for a bark. My buddy ran right at her to scare her off and she just stood there....but luckily brought in the bull he ended up shooting.

gelton

WKR
I was in Colorado from August 26th - September 7th. Had a bull bugle three times on the 27th, nearly called him in but he hung up, never saw him. Heard nothing else for the remaining three days. Switched areas between the 30th and the 2nd and didnt hear a peep.

Went back into the original area on the third and got in on a bugling bull with six cows raking a tree, I was the caller, the shooter saw the bull but we couldnt get him to leave his cows and come in. Heard nothing else until the night of the 5th when three different bulls started sounding off throughout the night. Thought the next day would be game time but nothing.

That was about the extent of what I heard bugle wise and they werent really responding well if at all to calls. I ended up screwing up several opportunities and eating tag soup.

It was my first early season archery hunt, from now on I think I will try to plan hunts in and around the 15th..

ElkNut1

WKR
Bottom line, you're not covering enough elk country & bugling enough to locate if hunting mostly timber. Don't rely on the elk to get the party started. Fire them up!

ElkNut/Paul

OP
Violent Hippie
Thanks again for the responses guys. Paul, I have your app and appreciate your expertise . I am still in the timid phase with calling and unfortunately find it hard to really let it go out there with the calls in the silent forest. I'll be getting into it over the off season for sure and plan to build my calling confidence up .

We had a similar experience last week in SW CO. The bull my buddy killed bugled twice, but nothing else was talking or coming in to calling. I put too much emphasis on calling and wasted a couple days.

What I found to be the most effective near the end of the trip was finding an area of dark timber with fresh sign, then getting on a trail where you’re able to move quietly and slip down it suoer slow, stopping and glassing every few steps. Obviously watch your wind.

OP
Violent Hippie
We had a similar experience last week in SW CO. The bull my buddy killed bugled twice, but nothing else was talking or coming in to calling. I put too much emphasis on calling and wasted a couple days.

What I found to be the most effective near the end of the trip was finding an area of dark timber with fresh sign, then getting on a trail where you’re able to move quietly and slip down it suoer slow, stopping and glassing every few steps. Obviously watch your wind.[/QUOT

Thats exactly what I ended up doing and got close ( within my effective range ) to a couple bulls but was either winded or to much brush in the way . Good times. Tracking even when your not sure what is at the end of the rainbow can pay off .

Last edited:
You didn't cover enough ground. It was in the 90s where I hunted all this year. The elk were going nuts. My first rule is there is always an elk bugling the last 10 days of the season. If you don't hear them, its not the heat, the pressure, late rut, etc, you're not in the right place.

OP
Violent Hippie
You didn't cover enough ground. It was in the 90s where I hunted all this year. The elk were going nuts. My first rule is there is always an elk bugling the last 10 days of the season. If you don't hear them, its not the heat, the pressure, late rut, etc, you're not in the right place.

Copy that. I didnt fill my tag so I obviously wasnt in the right place. I'm already planning for next year. 11 months to go.