Proof of sex attachment

In Colorado I know you have to keep proof of sex attached and antlers count.... however it does say they can’t be detached from the carcass and count the pelt attached to the head is good enough correct?...... on another note for bears do y’all just keep the testicles attached to the pelt as well for a male? Is that sufficient enough I guess the wording in the brochure is just a tad confusing as to that.

hobbes

WKR
Im not sire what you mean by "pelt attached to head", but unless you are bringing an animal out whole.....you need a pair of nuts naturally attached to a hind quarter. It's really not that difficult.

d3ntalbliss

Lil-Rokslider
Re-read the reg copied below. Your understanding is off. It seems pretty clear as written in the regulation. When I see "head with antlers or horns attached to carcass" I envision a situation where an elk or deer was killed near some farm and they use a front end loader or equipment to hang the animal whole and start processing it. If you have to quarter the animal whatever it is, and detach the head, there better be evidence of sex attached to a hind quarter.

1.It is illegal to have or transport a big-game carcass without evidence of sex
naturally attached. It is illegal to have only detached evidence of sex accompany
the carcass. If you submit a deer or elk head for CWD testing, leave
evidence of sex on the carcass.
2. EVIDENCE OF SEX IS:
A. BUCK/BULL:Head with antlers or horns attached to carcass; or testicle,
scrotum or penis attached to carcass.
B. DOE/COW:Head, udder (mammary) or vulva attached to carcass.
C. BLACK BEAR: Male: testicles or penis.
Female: vulva.
3. Heads detached from carcass are not adequate evidence of sex.
4.If a carcass is cut in pieces or deboned, evidence of sex needs to be attached
to a quarter or another major part of carcass. All portions must be transported
together.
5. Evidence of sex is not required if a donation certificate accompanies less
than 20 pounds of meat or after the carcass is cut into processed meat,
wrapped and frozen, or stored at licensee’s home.

Last edited:
Re-read the reg copied below. Your understanding is off. It seems pretty clear as written in the regulation. When I see "head with antlers or horns attached to carcass" I envision a situation where an elk or deer was killed near some farm and they use a front end loader or equipment to hang the animal whole and start processing it. If you have to quarter the animal whatever it is, and detach the head, there better be evidence of sex attached to a hind quarter.

1.It is illegal to have or transport a big-game carcass without evidence of sex
naturally attached. It is illegal to have only detached evidence of sex accompany
the carcass. If you submit a deer or elk head for CWD testing, leave
evidence of sex on the carcass.
2. EVIDENCE OF SEX IS:
A. BUCK/BULL:Head with antlers or horns attached to carcass; or testicle,
scrotum or penis attached to carcass.
B. DOE/COW:Head, udder (mammary) or vulva attached to carcass.
C. BLACK BEAR: Male: testicles or penis.
Female: vulva.
3. Heads detached from carcass are not adequate evidence of sex.
4.If a carcass is cut in pieces or deboned, evidence of sex needs to be attached
to a quarter or another major part of carcass. All portions must be transported
together.
5. Evidence of sex is not required if a donation certificate accompanies less
than 20 pounds of meat or after the carcass is cut into processed meat,
wrapped and frozen, or stored at licensee’s home.

Number 4 reads like if you have to cut the animal into two or more pieces that you will need a buddy to help transport it so that all portions can be transported together. So, I called CO and they said that "transported together" refers to when you are leaving the unit, not when you are coming off the mountain. You can make multiple solo trips to bring the animal back to camp or your vehicle. They did suggest that you take the portion with the proof of sex down first, and attach the carcass tag to it. Then, keep your license with you and go back for the rest of it.

d3ntalbliss

Lil-Rokslider
Number 4 reads like if you have to cut the animal into two or more pieces that you will need a buddy to help transport it so that all portions can be transported together. So, I called CO and they said that "transported together" refers to when you are leaving the unit, not when you are coming off the mountain. You can make multiple solo trips to bring the animal back to camp or your vehicle. They did suggest that you take the portion with the proof of sex down first, and attach the carcass tag to it. Then, keep your license with you and go back for the rest of it.

Makes sense. Transport refers to carrying or moving something via vehicle, aircraft, etc.

Silverado

FNG
Definitely keep testicles attached to the hind quarter or large piece of meat if deboning...I've always wondered about tag placement though...i always put the tag on whatever piece has the proof of sex, but it seems like on every video I've watched they are attaching it to the antlers. Is that wrong in CO?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Definitely keep testicles attached to the hind quarter or large piece of meat if deboning...I've always wondered about tag placement though...i always put the tag on whatever piece has the proof of sex, but it seems like on every video I've watched they are attaching it to the antlers. Is that wrong in CO?

Yes. I just talked to them about it and they said to keep the carcass tag with the piece that is meat, not antlers, and that has the actual proof of sex.

cwegga

FNG

I usually attach the tag to the antlers or ear while I'm skinning/gutting, and then move it to the quarter with sex attached once I have that separated (I use gutless method).

sndmn11

WKR
Skin the ball sack and leave a single skinned testicle attached to a piece of meat.

For those unfamiliar with doing this, or leaving the scrotum, it might be a good idea to plan on splitting the pair between the two rear quarters. that way you are covered if you goof up your first try.

Last edited: