How much is a normal tip for your Guide?

The whole tipping thing is about as awkward as a fart in church. That is part of the reason I only go Self-guided.

People get all weird about it for sure. If I was an outfitter, I would just build the tip into the cost of the hunt and state that on the invoice. No tip required. That way the guide always gets tipped fairly and clients don't need to walk into that awkward zone of not knowing

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
Although I agree that tipping is important, if a guy is paying $6k+ a head for a week of elk hunting and the guide is living off of tips I would suggest the guide renegotiate the contract or look into a different career. I guess I'll look at it from a different angle. The way I see it these guided hunting trips are getting outrageously priced. If you keep up with it most outfitters raise their prices every couple years. It takes a lot of ppl years to save up that kind of money. Sure one can say if you can't afford to tip over 10% than stay home but in reality I'm paying the outfitter 6k+ for the services. If the outfitter is not paying his guides appropriately than I guess that's on them.

I've been on a couple guided hunts and have tipped within my means. Both guides seemed happy and if I had an unlimited amount of coin I would've tipped them way more because they both earned it. Reality is though, I don't have an unlimited budget. So if they aren't happy with what I can afford then I guess we'll just leave it at that and part ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never been on a guided hunt, and honestly had no idea a tip was expected. I legit had no idea that after just dropping $3-8k on a hunt that you had to plan another 15-20% in tips. Are guides really not paid well?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

good to very good guide 10% to 15% of the hunt cost. 100 -150 bucks or so for a cook and other help. That’s my starting point. Being a bowhunter i base it on effort more so then results. There are hunts that guides work their asses off and it doesn’t result in a kill and there are time it’s all gravy. I generally don’t tip anymore or less because of a kill or lack of.

this

slick

WKR
I've never been on a guided hunt, and honestly had no idea a tip was expected. I legit had no idea that after just dropping $3-8k on a hunt that you had to plan another 15-20% in tips. Are guides really not paid well?

I have a few friends who are fly fishing guides and hunting guides in MT. It depends how you look at it, your current situation, etc. they are both single and mid-late 20s. They make a decent living but work hard for it. Use their own clothing, tackle, rods, optics, boat, vehicles.

Every operation is slightly different. They always appreciate a tip. They make the majority of their money in the fishing season. Hunting they’ve gotten gear as tips or part of a tip and often those are appreciated also. Sometimes it’s thoughtful but falls short, ie: a hunting knife (they’ve got a drawer full of them) but a tikka rifle or Swaro binos have been some of the nicer stuff left over. Not by any means is that expected, but they do end up making more on tips over the season then they do a set rate between them and the outfitter. Typically.

Bulldawg

WKR
Depends on what you consider good pay. But you have to think about the fact that this is a seasonal job, so they make good money, but for only a couple weeks a year. And if they are going to be a good guide they have to go out and do scouting and such on their own time. I hate tipping, and being tipped, waiters guides pizza guys. I hate it all, seems dumb to me that we have gotten to a point where we are expected to tip for certain services. But since the whole country has accepted this all as the norm, when we build our hunt prices and what we pay our guides we expect the tip in there as well.

robie

WKR
The dude stating 20% cracks me up. So if you book a 5 day guide only hunt for $2500 you should tip $500 and if you book a $20K sheep hunt you should tip $4K.

I feel roughly $100 a day is a good tip for solid effort, above and beyond add more if someone did something special. 7 day az elk hunt I have in Dec was about $5k, 10% is 500, but for 7 days I will bring $700ish.

I'm not a fan of the tip just to tip mentality we are leaning towards. Tipping a pilot? You paid him to fly you to a spot. I don't tip my airline pilot. What's his extra effort deserving a tip, I didn't die? Now if helps me pack the animal back to the plane 100% he gets a tip.

Just my opinion.

I have a few friends who are fly fishing guides and hunting guides in MT. It depends how you look at it, your current situation, etc. they are both single and mid-late 20s. They make a decent living but work hard for it. Use their own clothing, tackle, rods, optics, boat, vehicles.

Every operation is slightly different. They always appreciate a tip. They make the majority of their money in the fishing season. Hunting they’ve gotten gear as tips or part of a tip and often those are appreciated also. Sometimes it’s thoughtful but falls short, ie: a hunting knife (they’ve got a drawer full of them) but a tikka rifle or Swaro binos have been some of the nicer stuff left over. Not by any means is that expected, but they do end up making more on tips over the season then they do a set rate between them and the outfitter. Typically.

This is 100% correct. Most guides make more in tips than they do wage. There is a list a mile long of guys trying to be guides and it drives the pay rate down outfitters need to pay their guides. Outfitters make the money on hunts, not the guides. Tips are obviously a sensitive subject for some. But I would treat a guy who works his tail off for 7 days the same respect as I would a waitress at a restaurant with 20%. Imo the better you tip, the more likely you will be to get the better/best guide on your return visit. If you tip low, guess you're gonna get the short stick next time. The guides keep track of the tippers and non tippers.

Jbehredt

WKR
The dude stating 20% cracks me up. So if you book a 5 day guide only hunt for $2500 you should tip $500 and if you book a $20K sheep hunt you should tip $4K.

I feel roughly $100 a day is a good tip for solid effort, above and beyond add more if someone did something special. 7 day az elk hunt I have in Dec was about $5k, 10% is 500, but for 7 days I will bring $700ish.

I'm not a fan of the tip just to tip mentality we are leaning towards. Tipping a pilot? You paid him to fly you to a spot. I don't tip my airline pilot. What's his extra effort deserving a tip, I didn't die? Now if helps me pack the animal back to the plane 100% he gets a tip.

Just my opinion.

Dude who starts rambling about $20k sheep hunts in a thread about a 3rd season elk trip cracks me up.

One more thing to think about. When you call to make reservations again with your outfitters.. who gets prime dates? Guy who tips 10% or guy who tips 20%?

robie

WKR
Dude who starts rambling about $20k sheep hunts in a thread about a 3rd season elk trip cracks me up.

OK sure I went a little extreme on the sheep hunt.

But is a $100-$150 a day not a good tip?

For those that guide would a tip like that regardless of the cost of the hunt upset you or make you happy? Honest question. 5 day hunt $500-$750 tip. Does it really matter if the hunt cost $2500 or $7500? You're tipping on effort here not based on what you paid the outfitter.

wyosteve

WKR
Guess I'll relate a personal story, albeit a bit dated. 20 yrs. ago I guided archery elk hunters for an outfitter friend. I had to drive about 250 miles to get to the trailhead/staging area. We would be up by 4:30 each day and returned after dark, had dinner and got to bed around 10:30. After taxes and fuel to drive there, I was 'making' less than $3.00 per hour. One hunter in particular stands out. I was able to get him a nice 305 bull. He forgot film (yeah, those days!)for his camera so I happened to have a spare roll in my pack and gave it to him. Not only did he not leave a tip, he never even offered to pay for the roll of film! Didn't take me long to realize it wasn't worth my time to guide hunters!!

Guess I'll relate a personal story, albeit a bit dated. 20 yrs. ago I guided archery elk hunters for an outfitter friend. I had to drive about 250 miles to get to the trailhead/staging area. We would be up by 4:30 each day and returned after dark, had dinner and got to bed around 10:30. After taxes and fuel to drive there, I was 'making' less than $3.00 per hour. One hunter in particular stands out. I was able to get him a nice 305 bull. He forgot film (yeah, those days!)for his camera so I happened to have a spare roll in my pack and gave it to him. Not only did he not leave a tip, he never even offered to pay for the roll of film! Didn't take me long to realize it wasn't worth my time to guide hunters!!

Exactly. If you appreciate a good guide, tip them well and keep them in the game. If they can't pay their bills, they will do something else that does

Forest

WKR
I'm not sure "per day" is always the best way to look at it???? Because the guide/outfitter did their job scouting and knowing the area and you shot your animal on say day 2 he should be tipped less than the guide who showed up when you did and took the full 7 days to find the critters?? Just some food for thought.
I really struggle with tipping being set on a % for anything. If the service sucks I will tip little to nothing (which is why my wife calls me a horrible tipper). By no means should there be a flat fee

F250

FNG
10% seems fair. I have had many conversations about tipping with guides and outfitters. They are happy to see a 10% tip. It may also depend if the client pitches in and helps with the work, or just stands by with his/her hands in their pockets. I think $100.00 tip for the cook for a week is also fair.

Bulldawg

WKR
Neither, it’s the guy that isn’t a jackass in camp that gets prime dates, hunting spots, and the best guides fight over being able to take him out. But it also seems to be that the best tippers are also the best guys to hang around.

One more thing to think about. When you call to make reservations again with your outfitters.. who gets prime dates? Guy who tips 10% or guy who tips 20%?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Honest question. 5 day hunt $500-$750 tip. Does it really matter if the hunt cost $2500 or $7500? You're tipping on effort here not based on what you paid the outfitter.

I agree with this ^^^^. And I'll bring the waitress example back up. You go to a cheap restaurant and the waitress takes your order, fills your water glasses, ensures everything is OK, and brings you your check. She gets 15-20% of let's say a $50 bill. Another waitress does the exact same thing at a much more expensive restaurant, but gets 15-20% of let's say a $200 bill.......for doing the exact same thing, just because the bill was higher which didn't affect diddly squat of how or what they did for the job. In Iceland it's considered an insult to tip wait staff.

There have been packouts where I would have gladly dropped $1000 to have a packer there. So if my guide is busting his butt every day on a hunt, I could easily see $1000-$1500 tip even for a cheap hunt.