How much is a normal tip for your Guide?

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Question for those that have gone guided. What would you feel is the acceptable % to tip on a normal 5 day guided hunt. If you feel the guide did his best or maybe fell short of your expectations. Whether successful or not. Would that also factor in. I'm sure allot of these guys depend on the tips as that's probably the bulk of their income that week. Lastly, camp cooks and wranglers, what would you give them, if so inclined. Heading out for a third rifle elk hunt in an above average limited draw unit and want to make sure I do the right thing.

Trial153

WKR
Good to very good guide 10% to 15% of the hunt cost. 100 -150 bucks or so for a cook and other help. That’s my starting point. Being a bowhunter I base it on effort more so then results. There are hunts that guides work their asses off and it doesn’t result in a kill and there are time it’s all gravy. I generally don’t tip anymore or less because of a kill or lack of.

Oregon

WKR
Question for those that have gone guided. What would you feel is the acceptable % to tip on a normal 5 day guided hunt. If you feel the guide did his best or maybe fell short of your expectations. Whether successful or not. Would that also factor in. I'm sure allot of these guys depend on the tips as that's probably the bulk of their income that week. Lastly, camp cooks and wranglers, what would you give them, if so inclined. Heading out for a third rifle elk hunt in an above average limited draw unit and want to make sure I do the right thing.

I’ve never done a guided hunt. Just transported hunts in Ak.
My gut says acceptable would be 10-15%. Not many hunts for elk under 6k. 10% is $600.
5 day hunt, guy makes $120 in tips a day, plus his wages. That is pretty dang good.
The biggest misconception is if you can afford a guided hunt, you can afford big tips.
Folks save for years and years for hunts.

Forest

WKR
I am going on my first guided hunt this season as well, I have a friend that does some guiding on the side once in a while. He says it varies a lot, but 10-15% is pretty common. Would be surprised how many tip a lot more than that though. Often he gets that in cash and then gear and such on top of that. I plan on basing it on the quality & effort, just like at a restaurant. If they go above and beyond I will be on the upper end of that. I am doing a guide only hunt (bringing my own food and camp) so basically all I will be dealing with is the guide. Which in my case is also the outfitter.

rfc86

FNG
Agree with Trial153. I have been on 2 guided hunts and I did 10% on one and 15% on the other. Just depends on how hard the guide works regardless of kill. Only tip on the hunt price and not the license cost, land owner tag, etc.

Don't forget to tip the cook!

DEHusker

WKR
Quick follow up question...how do you all tip if your guide is also the owner/operator of the outfit? Theoretically he is making all the profit on the hunt so is he tipped at all? If so, how much? What about bush pilots? Do we tip them on top of their fee?

Tipping is a very personal thing but all the hired guides depend on it. One must always factor that into the cost of the hunt. It’s like a restaurant. Don’t go to an expensive dinner and then skimp in the tip!

Trial153

WKR
I would tip the same regardless owner or not Since he is working in the same capacity.

OP
PAhunter58

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Quick follow up question...how do you all tip if your guide is also the owner/operator of the outfit? Theoretically he is making all the profit on the hunt so is he tipped at all? If so, how much? What about bush pilots? Do we tip them on top of their fee?

Tipping is a very personal thing but all the hired guides depend on it. One must always factor that into the cost of the hunt. It’s like a restaurant. Don’t go to an expensive dinner and then skimp in the tip!

I know in my case, the owner of the Outfitting service will not be my Guide. It would seem a little odd to tip the Guide, Cooks, Wranglers (if any) and also tip the owner too. But then again, this deal is all new to me and want to make sure I follow correct etiquette.

wyosteve

WKR
Agree with what Trial 153 says. If the outfitter is acting as a guide, he/she gets tipped like any other.

Ok this thread already baffles me. A good tip is 15 to 20% of the hunt. Can't afford to tip correctly, don't go. If you tip a waitress 15 to 20 percent at a meal, you should feel like an idiot tipping your guide less than that, regardless of what the dollar figure is. Figure it out. A waitress spends a total of what maybe 10 to 15 minutes with you over an hour dinner? A guide spends over 12 hours a day with you, in some cases more. So why would you tip them less. I think the "well 10% of 6k is 600" is a crock of crap. If you can afford a 6k hunt, you can afford to pony up a good tip for your guide. You guys have one thing right. Guides depend on tips for bulk of their income. If they only make 600 bucks every 10 day hunt, that's him eating peas and carrots all winter until next year. This is a service industry. Tip them like they deserve to be tipped. And if you can't afford to tip them well (if their service meets your expectations) don't go.

Trial153

WKR
Ok this thread already baffles me. A good tip is 15 to 20% of the hunt. Can't afford to tip correctly, don't go. If you tip a waitress 15 to 20 percent at a meal, you should feel like an idiot tipping your guide less than that, regardless of what the dollar figure is. Figure it out. A waitress spends a total of what maybe 10 to 15 minutes with you over an hour dinner? A guide spends over 12 hours a day with you, in some cases more. So why would you tip them less. I think the "well 10% of 6k is 600" is a crock of crap. If you can afford a 6k hunt, you can afford to pony up a good tip for your guide. You guys have one thing right. Guides depend on tips for bulk of their income. If they only make 600 bucks every 10 day hunt, that's him eating peas and carrots all winter until next year. This is a service industry. Tip them like they deserve to be tipped. And if you can't afford to tip them well (if their service meets your expectations) don't go.
I can see how an Arrogant ass like yourself can be easily baffled. The only idiot I see is you comparing guiding to a waiting tables as the pay structure isn't even close to the same.

I can see how an Arrogant ass like yourself can be easily baffled. The only idiot I see is you comparing guiding to a waiting tables as the pay structure isn't even close to the same.

Did not mean to like that. I do agree that it’s not even close to waiting tables tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love it when others resort to calling others offensive names to make themselves feel better about where they stand on an issue. Truly inspiring influence for the younger generation that may be reading your comments.

Trial153

WKR
Love it when others resort to calling others offensive names to make themselves feel better about where they stand on an issue. Truly inspiring influence for the younger generation that may be reading your comments.
Did you read you post where you said people should feel like an idiot?
Your six posts into this forum and your calling people idiots. Maybe a little self introspection is in order

Last edited:
You must have taken it to heart, like I was talking directly to you. I can't control what you do or how you feel about issues. Simply saying how I feel ruffled your feathers. I do get that. But that's on you not me bc I wasnt aiming anything at you personally

OP
PAhunter58

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider

Sorry guys, didn't want this to get into a heated debate. With my original question I stated this is my first Guided Hunt and I just wanted to make things right. Everyone has differing opinions, I get that. I'm usually a good tipper, so I could easily see myself tipping up to 20%. If the guys works his ass off and treats me fairly, that's all I can ask. I just wanted some guidelines from ones that have done this before. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

The whole tipping thing is about as awkward as a fart in church. That is part of the reason I only go Self-guided.

Jbehredt

WKR
I’ll have enough cash on me for 20% and that’s usually what my guides (hunting and fishing) have earned. That cash is in increments that can go down to 15 or 10% depending on the experience.