any tips on how to pack a heavy meat laden back pack

willy

FNG
Any tips. I have packed a few elk out but am looking for any ideas that could make it more "enjoyable" and efficient.

Thanks

We packed out a bull last week and did a reasonable job for flatlanders IMO. Our camp was 5 miles in from the truck and the bull was killed about a mile and a half further in and 1000’ higher. When we loaded full hams into our packs along with our gear, I was certain it was going to be a really miserable hike to the truck.

We ended up taking heavy loads down the mountain to avoid having to climb back up it, then split the meat up into lighter loads to hike it out to the truck. For me there is a world of difference between a 50 lb pack and an 85 lb pack, I’ll gladly make the extra trip. I also used the KUIU load hauler panel, I’d recommend something similar if your pack brand offers it. I strapped my water bladder and rain jacket to the outside and shoved a couple snacks in my hip belt pockets, that was all I carried.

I think too many guys put emphasis on being a badass and making fewer trips, when in reality it’s not a big deal if you have the time and it’s cool enough for the meat not to spoil.

kickemall

WKR
If it goes in the pack or on a load shelf keep it higher up and not down low on your back.

What’s the reasoning behind this? I always thought you should keep it lower. Shows what I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put a 50# sandbag in the very bottom of your pack and hike a mile. Then take the same sandbag and stuff the bottom of your pack with a sleeping bag or 2 and put the weight on top of them. Compress it all down so the weight stays on the upper half of your back and hike a mile. Then you will get it.

It may seem counterintuitive but having the weight up higher is certainly easier. Keeps the center of gravity better centered over your core. Weight low on your back pulls you backwards and isn’t very efficient. Like noted above, try both during training and you will see.

Solid info gang. Seems like my reckoning meat shelf keeps it up just a little higher than the lumbar pad. Any sense in attempting to raise it higher? I hate to start sewing and reconstructing my pack this late in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

willy

FNG
I appreciate the tips shared. I have never tried having the weight higher up. I know having it packed heavy at bottom makes me lean hard forward and put a permanent hurt on my back. Two herniated disks and a bulged one have ended my packing days but my hunting buds will hopefully have the opportunity to pack a top heavy meat pack out in Oct. It will be their first elk hunt. They have agreed to pack up the mountain to camp and then pack any elk and camp back out. I can basically have 10 pounds on my back according my doctor. I greatly appreciate their youth and willingness to do the heavy lifting. I've tried to convey to them what packing an elk out of/off of a mountain is like. They've been training hard to be ready for when the hunt comes.

We are taking an otter sled up to camp so that I can pull stuff down the mountain, camp or elk when the time comes. Up hill loaded ain't happening.
The weight/friction should keep the sled from taking my legs out, I hope.

Again thanks all for the comments shared.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Tight against the back and above the small of the back as suggested above. Let the waist belt take the load. Set your load lifters, shoulder straps, and breast strap properly.
Trecking poles, good boots, don’t overload yourself.
Get in shape for elk hunting, not while elk hunting.
Drink lots of water!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I think too many guys put emphasis on being a badass and making fewer trips

I consider it the opposite........I'm not enough of a badass to make that trek back in anymore times that I need to. In most cases I'd rather carry heavy less times than lighter multiple times more.

I consider it the opposite........I'm not enough of a badass to make that trek back in anymore times that I need to. In most cases I'd rather carry heavy less times than lighter multiple times more.

To each their own, I trained 1-2 times a week with a 45 lb pack since January. I read about joint and tendon injuries from guys that trained with heavier loads, but I should have done some heavier training. I can walk and climb all day with a sub 40 lb pack and barely break a sweat, but once I get to the 65-75 lb range it’s miserable.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, I don't train at all for carrying a pack.....my knees already hurt without that. So I just suck it up when it's time to haul, and the fewer the trips the better IMO. But every situation is different and may change with the conditions as well. Like wet slick ground.......stability rules, so lighter weights are key.

njdoxie

WKR
Put a 50# sandbag in the very bottom of your pack and hike a mile. Then take the same sandbag and stuff the bottom of your pack with a sleeping bag or 2 and put the weight on top of them. Compress it all down so the weight stays on the upper half of your back and hike a mile. Then you will get it.

Yes, try both ways and it will be clear that keeping it high and tight to the spine is the right way.