Glassing

Chopit

FNG
How many of you just bring binos and no spotting scope? Does everyone hunt with both?

LandYacht

WKR
Binos only for me. Tried both, prefer binos on a tripod by a large margin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Switched to 15s on a tripod and wont be going back any time soon. Less eye fatigue by about 30fold, easier to pack around too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
C

Chopit

FNG
Thats where i am at. I have a good set of binos with a tripod attachment.

HookUp

WKR
Just got back from an Idaho elk hunt brought 12x binos and spotter. Never used the spotter packed it back to my truck after a few days. Elk are big critters and I had no problem seeing them from miles away with the binos.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Both. Go lightweight on spotter with the Kramer tripod. Flexibility without too much weight penalty.

jmez

WKR
Just binos for me. Not a trophy hunter so all I need to see are the elk. If I were looking at horns then I'd take a spotter as well.

10x42s on a tripod. I typically spot more quantity than the 15-60x just because that’s what I’ve been trained on forever. Once you find em though, you CANNOT beat 60x on a stable base

IdahoHntr

WKR
It just depends on what kind of hunting you’re doin. If you are looking for any bull just take the binos. If you are really wanting to see a bulls antlers well before deciding to go after him then I think the spotting scope is real useful.

Jimss

WKR
I hunt relative open to super open country. I always bring a spotter plus binos. It's nearly impossible to field judge bulls from long range without a spotter. It's also possible to pick apart the landscape searching for an antler tip, ear, rump patch etc from long range with spotter. I would have to be a mile or so closer to do the same thing with my binos. A spotter has saved me miles upon miles of hiking! The only time I likely wouldn't carry my spotter would be if I was hunting thick trees.....which I hate hunting!

Just binos for me. Not a trophy hunter so all I need to see are the elk. If I were looking at horns then I'd take a spotter as well.

This. I can see elk with my bin's on a tripod far enough away that it would take me literally all day to get to them. I sure as heck don't need to see elk that would take me 2 days to get to. LOL

FURMAN

WKR
10x42s on a tripod for finding game. 20-60 swaro for judging quality. I can't stand looking though a spotter any longer than I have to but they will save you a lot of boot leather once you find game. After game has stopped moving for the day a spotter is almost necassary for picking out bedded game at 2 plus miles away.

HighVoltageHunter

Lil-Rokslider
My hunting partner says “bino’s only” until he ask me to pull out my spotter to confirm what he thinks he see’s in the tree line.

Thess87

WKR
10x42s only for me and my partner. Maybe I’m in the wrong spot but no need for a spotter where I hunt.

I really think a lot of this has to do with whether you're a horn hunter or a meat hunter. I can easily see where a horn hunter would want the best spotter they can afford and are willing to pack, in order to save them precious miles chasing an animal they don't really want.

I picked up a Nikon 50ED recently - mostly for birding - but I will take it with me in the backcountry for glassing because I have an extremely wide angle 14x eyepiece for it that will allow me to dissect a hillside very efficiently. However I agree that looking through a spotter for very long leaves me pretty disoriented, so I try to avoid that if I can.