1st ever elk trip - Critique gear list and some questions

Sup guys, my buddy and I are heading to CO for our first ever big game hunt for First Rifle season in Unit 24. Been hunting our whole lives but first trip out West. We will be backpacking in. Looking for some critique for my/our gear list and the answers to some question we have.

My Clothes:
FL Catalyst Jacket
FL Chama hoody
FL Allegheny Merino bottom
FL Kanab 2.0
Random merino wool top and bottom
Merino Socks (x2)
ExOfficio (x2)
Beanie
Camo Hat
Gloves
Cabelas Space Rain top and bottom
Boots

Our Gear:
Sako .308 + scope + ammo
Nikon Binos
Bino harness
Bino monopod
Eberlestock Just One pack (borrowing)
Marmot Tungsten UL 2P Tent
The North Face Aleutian 0 Degree Bag
Big Agnes Two Track Self Inflating Pad
inReach Explorer
Jetboil Flash + fuel can
Ultralight backup stove + fuel can
Gravity water filter
Backup water tablets
Wind checker
First aid kit
Black Mountain Spot headlamp
Rechargeable flashlight
Game bags
Flagging tape
Outdoor Edge + 3 replaceable blades (Should I bring a fixed blade?)
Rubber gloves
Portable phone charger + iPhone cord
TP
Chapstick
Small soap
Paracord
Compass + paper map
Rain tarp
Extra fire maker
Goldbond
Sunglasses

Food: (taking suggestions)
MH type meal for every night
Energy bars
Peanut butter packs + tortillas
Beef jerky
Trail mix
Some type of recovery mix
Starbucks Via coffee

Probably forgetting a lot, especially food since I am still testing and tasting. Also my buddy and I will be splitting and sharing gear to cut down weight, this is just our full gear list so far.

My biggest concerns and questions are:

1. What is the weather going to be like? Do we have enough clothes? Was thinking about bringing my puffy pants and picking up a puffy jacket to layer but I'm on a budget. Been talking to a lodge nearby and the last said to prepare for 20-40 deg.

2. Thoughts on tent/bag/pad setup? Am renting so have some options.

3. We are going couple days early to try and get deep to scout and hopefully let people push elk to us. It seems like there are a couple entrances to Flat Tops, which is the most crowded? Looking to avoid that one...

4. Do I need gaiters? I was thinking i could use my rain pants

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

tttoadman

WKR
1. If you are both staying in one tent, I would look at a 3 person tent.
2. I haven't used flagging tape since I started carrying a GPS.
3. I love gaiters. Protects more valuable stuff, and keeps wicking water out of my boots.
4. If you are new to the razor knives, I would bring more extra blades.
5. The only fixed blade I have is my Leatherman Squirt that has a small fixed blade and pliers to change razor blades.
6. Try to have a Plan B and C when crowds, fires or ?? craps on your plan.

Have fun. It looks like you guys have thought this through really well.

Crusader

WKR
Regarding knives, if you decide you want a fixed blade, I recently completed a search for an orange handled one (so as not to lose it), purchasing a Mora Bushcraft that I got a great deal on, ~$30. My thread is in the gear section. You can PM me if you're interested and I'll let you know the vendor details.

md126

WKR
-plan for some snow
-bigger tent
-def bring gaiters
-puffy jacket and/or pants are gold
-switch rechargeable flashlight for a battery one and save your portable charger for phone/gps
-get GAIA GPS app for your iPhones. awesome app

As far as crowds, all the trailheads can get busy and first rifle is probably the most crowded. Going deep isn’t always as easy as it sounds, especially if you don’t have horses and others do. Remember, the further you go the closer you’re getting to other camps/trailheads, roads, etc...

Felix40

WKR
Get a puffy jacket. You will want it in the mornings at least. When you are shivering on the side of a mountain you will be willing to pay anything to get warm

Download the earthmate app to pair your phone with the in reach, and then download all of the maps and layers for your area and the surrounding areas. I experimented with this as my primary GPS on the IPhone this year and was really happy with it. Battery saver mode and airplane mode allowed me to get five days off of one charge.

Get yourself a toaks or Optimus long handled titanium spoon with polished bowl. They are perfect for mountain house meals.

I added single serve honey packets for peanut butter and honey wraps.

A bigger tent, split between two guys, will be worth the weight penalty. If you are bringing a jetboil and fuel can, make your buddy bring the spares.

Don't forget your elk tag and hunters safety card. You are required to carry it with you unless you are verified by CPW.

I didn't see a water bottle on there, or a bladder.

Good luck!

OP
C
Some good points, keep it coming guys.

-For sure getting a 3 person tent now.
-Dropping the flagging tape and adding gaiters.
-Already have the GAIA maps on my phone.
-Going to bring a puffy jacket, nothing is worse than being cold.
-Bladder in the pack already

sndmn11

WKR
I think you need to look into insulation for the bottom half as well. Some areas here have seen mid teens for temperature and most everywhere has seen mid 20s. You are your only source for heat unless you are sitting next to a fire. I think you are spinning your wheels trying to get "deep" to scout and hunt. That area has a religious following of horse folks who will be deeper than you, get there first, and know the area. Spend your time focusing on HABITAT rather than the idea you must be in "deep" or in "wilderness". Look for pockets of security that people are apt to walk or ride on by. The elk don't know where they are supposed to be, so throw that out the window and find them where they are by thinking about where they would go to avoid contact.

OP
C
Thanks for the info. Sounds like you are familiar with the area?

I plan on bringing my puffy pants with I’ve worn with some wool bottoms in single digits sitting in a stand and was pretty warm. Gonna take the advice and find a warm packable puffy jacket for up top. We also plan on keeping extra in the truck in case things get too cold. Do you think our sleep setup will keep us warm enough?

I agree with your advice on strategy. Our thinking was to find the main way people will be traveling in and guess where they would push elk. Where people would not tend to go. It’s our first trip so I’m just hoping to see some elk and have a chance.

sndmn11

WKR
The pad is a good choice, I don't know anything about synthetic filled sleeping bags though. You must have tag EM01101R? You should turn up some elk if you are willing to be flexible in what you are doing, and stand a fair chance of your first plan working out too.

AdamW

WKR
Here's my gear list from first rifle 2 years ago. Made some changes but pretty similar this year. Weather you just don't know. It was what I would consider "mild" 2 years ago and there were times I was wearing most of my clothes that I packed. I upped my puffy from a FL to a Kifaru, we'll see what I think of that this season. I also went for a floorless and stove this year which I have mixed feelings about. I'm a cold natured person and I'd be fine without it, but I'm giving it a shot.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/elk/42225-ross-adam-co-elk-hunt-planning-thread-8.html#post552420

OP
C
EM01101R?

Yes, that’s our tag. Good to hear we should see some elk, pretty excited to get there.

Thanks for the gear list, going to look it over tomorrow.

Any good recommendations for a solid puffy that won’t break the bank?

I hunted around that area last year, and will be up there again for 1st rifle this season, although I don't expect to spend any time in 24 (my tag is good for 6 units). I saw a more hunters in 24 than I've ever seen in my life, and that includes eastern national forests near major cities. I had no idea there would be so many hunting camps. That's the bad news. The good news is there is a reason there are so many camps around there - there are a lot of elk. I saw elk less than 1/2 mile from very busy roads, and elk 3-4 miles in, from 9K to over 11K. Didn't seem to be much rhyme or reason, but I wasn't complaining.

My son and I spent some time in a hard downpour, cooking MH meals in my 3-person tent, and we were just fine, even with our packs under the vestibules. I've had an ALPS Chaos 3 since before they called them the Chaos, and it has withstood everything from 70mph winds to lightning storms at 11K feet, to whiny teenage kids on 100 degree summer trips in TX. LOL It has never let me down. I've looked at much more expensive tents and tarps, but IMO it's tough to beat the value/performance ratio of that ALPS Chaos. And the double doors and double vestibules are pure gold for two guys in the back country. If you want to save weight, you can pitch it with just the rain fly and footprint.

Other than that, I like your list. Only thing I question was water purification. Have you used the gravity system already?

OP
C
One thing I am concerned about is the amount of people. Trying to figure out multiple spots so hopefully we can find some isolation.

Glad to hear about the Alps tent. My buddy actually just purchased one so we will be bringing that instead of what I have listed. I haven’t personally used the gravity system but my buddy has.