Mid-October rifle tips?

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be rifle hunting Oct 10-24 in SE Idaho. This is a controlled tag but there will still be a good number of tag holders (and overlapping general deer hunters) It’s coming up quick so will some scouting trips starting next weekend. I didn’t want to get out there early and bugger up some bow hunters (I’m usually one of them).

This will be my first time hunting mid-Oct and beyond. Any tips for finding mature bulls this time of year? I’ll be scouting with my binos and big spotter looking where I find them in Sept. If the bigger bulls peel off, do they stay nearby?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
You will still find some herd bulls with the cows I have killed many fine herd bulls on the 10th and into the third week of October many times they are bugling like crazy during the second estrus. Be up early and glassing to try and cut them off or finding a lone bull that has peeled off bugling yourself can also be good the first few days before too much gunfire good luck 👍

Jeepers87

FNG
What Ross said. Be up early. I have had luck sounding a bugle at 4am or so and getting responses. Once I did I would head out soon after to try and get on top of them before sunup . Once light is up..they pucker up the calling, at least in my experience. Sometimes ya get lucky though!

rbljack

WKR
My fear with bugling where I will be is other hunters. Its a public land hunt, so sounding off may very well get a response from other hunters. If it is a bull, then its sounding off for everyone to hear, and then im guessing it can be a problem to get on that bull without others closing in too.

OP
Y

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up completely relocating to a new and more remote area with less pressure. Found some intense bugling action in the evenings. Even a decent amount in the mornings and an occasional mid day patch of bugling. At mid-day, we could even get a response using locator bugles from a decent distance away. At that point, we just moved up close when evening thermals/wind allowed and let them do the bugling on their own as the sun started going down. Tagged a busted up bull after sneaking into the herd as they left cover.

Side note: The hunting pressure in my primary spot was crazy. Did not plan on that!! I actually turned in 4 guys for illegally hunting off their quads in an OHV restricted area. Couldn't catch up to the 5th that rode in and jacked up an opportunity at a bull my kid and I scouted.

Last edited:

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
I am in a similar situation and was going to ask advice. A tag rifle in North Idaho opens up the 25th.

Some locals say the herd bulls are still pushing cows. Not sure if they still will be next week.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was in north Idaho the 10-16 spiked on a hillside for three days I have killed three bulls never saw an elk and heard one bull below my tent due to lack of rain all elk were are in the thick nasty. Relocated and had bugling bulls for three days very good action on the 14th four bulls but wolves in area and location offered 15 yd shots got to within 40 of a raking bull but never saw them will still be some bugling in isolated pockets the a tag window at end of month but I do see the weather is finally going to change dramatically late next week. Gonna be very wet and imagine fog good luck👍