Tubey Sounding

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
What is the best method to combat having a tubey sounding bugle? I am using the newer Phelps tube and phelps maverick reed. When i am 100 yards from my hunting partner he has always said he can tell i sound tubey. The other night as we were walking out a hunter was a 100 yards away from our truck and ripped a bugle and was no tube sound at all...both my buddy and I were like holy cow that was really a good bugle. Is it the pitch of the sound that causes the tubey sound...do i need to add some rubber bands to the tube to help with vibration? Hoping, there is something or is that just life and cant avoid it?

wytx

WKR
Put some wind behind that bugle. If you blow soft you will sound tubey. Elk are large animals with large lungs, use yours to their fullest.
Some bugle tubes just sound that way too. I find a narrower tube sounds like a person bugling to me.

Are you sure it was a hunter?
I had a real bull blow my hat of this year 125 yards from camp, we had been laughing cause it was cold and like day 19 and were loosing our minds.
Walked and 1st bugle I ripped had a bull 75 from me.

I think my bugles sound better when I hold the tube out on the cone part where if flares up.
I'm definitely not and expert. And in for the more knowledgeable responses.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
There is a chance that it was a bull...but when we got to our truck right from where the bugle came from there was a truck sitting and was just pulling away. It was by far the best bugle i have heard out in the woods from that close and it not a bull.

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
I wrapped a bunch of electrical tape around one of my tubes. Worked pretty well. I also have plenty of tape available if needed.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
i guess at a certain distance would say 150 yards or less it just has that tube sound not quite as bad as the small diameter tubes but can still tell like oh yeah that is comeing from a tube. another way of saying is yelling through a culvert that goes under a road.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
I would try a large frame reed. It's debatable but i think large frame reeds have more depth to the call which may reduce the tubey sound you are talking about.

Put some wind behind that bugle. If you blow soft you will sound tubey. Elk are large animals with large lungs, use yours to their fullest.
Some bugle tubes just sound that way too. I find a narrower tube sounds like a person bugling to me.

I agree with this. Take a deep breath and push from your diaphragm. The more are you are pushing, the more realistic it will sound. When you take a half breath or don't push hard it tends to get the plastic flute sound to it.