Help on Outfitters for an Elk Hunt

I’m a bow hunter from SC and I think I’m ready to a jump into elk hunting. Problem is, I think I want to find an outfitter or a guide since I essentially know nothing outside of forums and podcast. “Teach me how to fish” mentality. I know zero elk hunters down here.

Can you guys send me some recommendations for a guide or outfitter you’ve had awesome luck with ? (In a county that has over the counter tags for elk) I’m open to hunting any state ! Just looking for a starting point. Thanks guys !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
fportillo21
I should also mention, this is for the 2019 season so I have a full year to purchase all the gear I need! And to save some money for the flight, outfitter, tag, license, and all those miscellaneous costs.

KHNC

WKR
Colorado and Idaho both have OTC tags. If i were in your shoes, i would look at Idaho. Contact Sparky Sparkes. He has lots and lots of elk on private land joining BLM. No problem seeing plenty of elk daily. Would be a great place to start! Look him up on facebook. He owns M2D camo as well.

tntrker

WKR
I work in Greenville and taking my 1st hunt in Montana next month. I figured rifle for my 1st then bow if I ever get the chance again. I'll let you know how our guided hunt goes.

OP
fportillo21
I can tell you who not to go with and that's New Mexico hunting adventures. Owner is a dirtbag!

Man this is exactly the type of scenario I’m trying to avoid. I’m sorry you had a bad experience, thanks for the heads up!

OP
fportillo21
I work in Greenville and taking my 1st hunt in Montana next month. I figured rifle for my 1st then bow if I ever get the chance again. I'll let you know how our guided hunt goes.

Sweet, thank you!

Kilboars

WKR
I can tell you who not to go with and that's New Mexico hunting adventures. Owner is a dirtbag!

Ouch:) I hunted with them twice and although I loved the hunt and the guides I diddn't care for the owner.

I was going to recommend you look at Bowhunting Safari Consultants, LLC Myself and friends have used them a few times. lots of options and nice people to deal with. No charge to you for the hunts.

KHNC

WKR
I am actually doing my first rifle elk hunt with Cody Carr Hunting Adventures in Montana 11/05-11/10. I have no idea how it will go. But if its good i will post a reply about it. Hes not very communicative, but has a great reputation.

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted with Cody last year during late October. We hardly saw any elk at all where we were (near the Trout Creek camp). Our guide was good though, he worked hard to get us on elk but unfortunately they didn't cooperate. Beautiful, rugged country. I hope you have better luck than we did.

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting on our own in Idaho we ran into one of the Sparks guides. Super friendly helpful guy. Gave us some tips and guidance. I have his cell number if interested.

KHNC

WKR
I hunted with Cody last year during late October. We hardly saw any elk at all where we were (near the Trout Creek camp). Our guide was good though, he worked hard to get us on elk but unfortunately they didn't cooperate. Beautiful, rugged country. I hope you have better luck than we did.

I keep hearing this. My buddy that referred me has bowhunted there twice. In elk both times. But i keep reading that rifle hunters dont see much of anything. I probably should have researched this more before i booked. Starting to regret booking there. Did yall spike camp? Do you consider yourself in shape enough to hunt that country? Cody told me when i booked that most of his hunters arent capable of getting back to the elk. Just curious how yall hunted. thanks

tntrker

WKR
Hang in there. If you're booked already, don't let things get you down already or it will be a crappy hunt right away. Good luck and hope you smoke a big one!

KHNC

WKR
Hang in there. If you're booked already, don't let things get you down already or it will be a crappy hunt right away. Good luck and hope you smoke a big one!

I have been a DIY guy for years now. But always in September with a bow. Outfitters are a crap shoot alot of times. But i started with Outfitters to learn how to elk hunt. Cuts the learning curve plenty!

OFFHNTN

WKR
I’m a bow hunter from SC and I think I’m ready to a jump into elk hunting. Problem is, I think I want to find an outfitter or a guide since I essentially know nothing outside of forums and podcast. “Teach me how to fish” mentality. I know zero elk hunters down here.

Can you guys send me some recommendations for a guide or outfitter you’ve had awesome luck with ? (In a county that has over the counter tags for elk) I’m open to hunting any state ! Just looking for a starting point. Thanks guys !

Do you have a budget?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cody Carr’s group knows the country well, they take some great bulls and bucks and I’ve run into them a few times. What I can tell you is where they hunt meaning northwest Montana you will find no tougher place to hunt. Reason being very heavy timber, steep large canyons, typically a lot of rain and fog and slippery stuff and then you throw in wolves.you have a chance at great animals but you won’t work any harder country than this. I will post a few pics and if you haven’t started walking uphill a lot you have 28 days. Good luck👍

tntrker

WKR
I have been a DIY guy for years now. But always in September with a bow. Outfitters are a crap shoot alot of times. But i started with Outfitters to learn how to elk hunt. Cuts the learning curve plenty!

My thoughts exactly. My dream is a bow hunt but taking my 1st elk hunt with rifle and guide to hopefully get some meat and lessons before my "trial and error" of DIY starts.