First Mature Bull

Here is my very first write up on a hunt. I’ve wanted to do this before, but have never done it. Anyway, here it goes.

My muzzleloader tag opened up on Saturday, 9/8/18. It was my first born's first birthday. I was not at home, I was in the woods pursuing my dream of a mature bull elk. My hunting goal for the past 3 years was to harvest a mature bull and I only had two weekends. This was one of them. I planned on hunting a lower elevation with great feed and lots of water the first weekend. I had my brother with me. We woke up opening morning and went to my glassing point. We got there at about a half hour after first light and stayed for a half an hour. We saw and heard nothing. We then made our way slowly up a valley that had the best water in the area with the wind in our favor. It was hot and that’s where I thought they’d be. Boy was I wrong. There was absolutely no fresh sign. It was very disappointing. We sat and ate breakfast watching a meadow that had a water source. After the wind switched we headed to the top of the mountain to do some glassing. We got to a spot I had backpacked into a few years before and glassed. We saw many camps and three different sets of hunters. At mid day we decided we weren’t in a spot set up for success.

Bf0V9aA.jpg

We headed down the mountain and got in the truck and headed to a different place I had been to before. The place had a wallow that had been hit at a similar time frame a few years before around the same time. We hiked slowly up to the wallow to see if it had been hit recently. It had not been. I proceeded to bugle and splash the wallow to try to get a response. We had three cow calls go off immediately off to our left. I didn’t respond. A few minutes later we heard cow calls downwind from us and then didn’t hear them again. We figured they winded us and left.

On the way back to camp with minimal light. We saw a herd of elk on private. In the herd was a good bull. It was too dark to tell how good he was, but he was a mature elk. We got out the gps and found the nearest public access point and made a plan for the morning. We at least knew there were elk in that area. In the morning we went in and heard and saw zero elk. Saw a few mule deer and found a dead cow skull.

V5VwzVY.jpg

We then headed out back to camp to pack up and head into town. We both needed to work the next day.

OP
Back Country Hunter 2
I took off Thursday and Friday of work and my dad flew in Wednesday to hunt with me through the end of the season. My dad and I set up a base camp on Wednesday night after work (9/12/18). We backpacked in and set up a spike camp on Thursday morning. Didn’t hear any bugles on the way up. It was hot, we didn’t leave spike camp until 6 PM and spooked a bull from his bed at around 6:30 PM. He was the only elk we saw all that night, and again no bugles. We made it back to our spike camp in the dark and had our freeze dried meals and went to bed.

l7NluQc.jpg

I woke up at about 2 AM because it was extremely windy. So windy, that I was worried about a few of the dead trees around me would fall on my shelter and that would be the end of me. It was still super windy when we got up before dark. Hunting the ridge we were on wasn’t an option because of the wind. So, we went down in the valley. It wasn’t as windy down there and went along bugling and never got a response, smelt elk, or saw fresh sign. We eventually made it to a wallow that I had previously knew about at 11 AM.

I took a much needed cat nap till 11:30 AM. We just sat there, listening, waiting. At around 2 PM I got up to take a pee break and talk to my dad who was about 10 yards behind me. I was second guessing that we had come to this spot too early or too late. He told me to keep a positive attitude and something can happen very quickly.

OP
Back Country Hunter 2
Right about 3 PM the woods echoed with the first bugle I have heard in too long. He was close, about 200 yards we estimated. I immediately bugled back and he responded louder and more aggressive than the first time. I snuck up about 10 yards from where I was and waited for him to come. It wasn’t 30 seconds later and there he was, about 50 yards and staring right at the wallow. I could tell he was a mature bull, but didn’t get a great look as he was in thick timber. I had a shot and took it. He went down for a few minutes and then stood back up just staring at where I shot from. My dad cow called while I reloaded the musket. I then moved in and took a second shot and down he went! We waited a few minutes as the bull was in thick country. We didn’t want him to run off. After we decided we waited long enough,I walked up to him while my dad stayed back. Once I realized he had died I signaled for my dad.

0jag0o4.jpg

The first thing I noticed about the bull other than his mass was the two broken points. His left G2 was broken as well as his right G5. After doing that I counted his points. He was a 7 by 8. Wow! I was in shock. I hadn’t seen a bull that big on public land in person. My only concern at that point was getting the meat taken care of. Like I have said before, it was hot. I didn’t want the meat to ruin. So we took a few pictures with the smart phones and a small digital camera that I carried with me. We had a tough time moving him as his body was so big.

3SqR3R8.jpg

It was dark by the time we almost finished the cape with headlamps and got all of the meat hung up. At the time I knew he was killed I used my sat texter, Inreach, to tell my wife and brother. I asked my brother if him and his wife wanted to help pack him out the next day. They ended up saying that they would meet us that night at our base camp. At dark my dad and I made our way to the base camp with the backstraps and our gear. It was dark and I didn’t want my 56 year old dad to get hurt. We had a mile and a half down to the main trail through thick dark timber with lots of blow down. I knew I had help for the pack out so that’s all we took. I wanted to play it safe.

OP
Back Country Hunter 2
We made it to base camp around 9:30 PM. My brother was already there with his wife setting up their tent and impatiently waiting for pictures. We showed them and ate a couple of cans of chili before bed. In setting up their tent, my brother’s wife cut her foot on one of the tent stakes. She was wearing sandals in the dark and learned a lesson. She said she didn’t know if she would be able to help the next morning. Looking at her foot I immediately understood. It didn’t look pretty. We stayed up later than I would have liked to knowing what a big day we had the next day. We came up with a plan if she was going or not.

Week later picture
dEQPJQB.jpg

We woke up a half hour before first light, had our coffee and morning bathroom breaks and headed for the trailhead. My brothers wife bandaged up her foot and said she was good to go. This was the first time she had the opportunity to help on a packout and I think she just wanted to come along no matter what. We made it to the kill site with empty packs. My brother and I finished the cape while my dad and brother’s wife boned out all of the quarters. Once everything was taken care of we decided how to split everything up. My brother’s wife was going to take a boned out front quarter and my dad was going to take out a boned out hind quarter. That left two quarters for myself and my brother, along with the cape. The plan was for me to take the cape, and my brother to take the other boned out hind and front quarter.

KZGAxok.jpg

DQmwLop.jpg

That plan ended in about a quarter of mile. I was wearing a Kifaru pack that had an internal frame with stays. The cape was very heavy and anytime I rotated because of the terrain the stays would bend. I felt it was very close to breaking. My brother had a Kifaru pack with a duplex hunter frame that was more sturdy and rotationally stiff. My brother also goes to the gym after work everyday, trains by hiking 14ers in the off-season, and is in much better shape than I am. So, we switched loads. My pack was still very heavy.

tvJw6Vn.jpg

OP
Back Country Hunter 2
We made our way down the mountain to the trail. It was slow going. I knew the mountain the best and picked the route. My dad went behind my brother to hold the antlers up when he rested and his wife gave him water when needed. We made it to the trailhead at about 2:15 PM. All of us completely exhausted. We went to base camp and took it down and headed down into town. We dropped the head off at the taxidermist and went home. We stayed the night at home in much needed beds.I am very thankful for my brother and his wife coming to help. If not, I feel like I would still be on that mountain.

A5uAXmE.jpg

The next day my wife and mom took the meat to the meat processor while my dad and I went back up the mountain to take out our spike camp. We made it and packed everything up. While we were leaving, we saw a few grouse. I was packing my 9mm for peace of mind and ended up taking my first grouse. We gutted it and took it with us. The hike down wasn’t bad. It is funny how a 30 pound load compares to a 80+ pound load. We ended up making it back to the truck and were finally finished.

vlVHRgl.jpg

It still hasn’t hit me of the size of the bull I shot and killed. The recipient on the meat said 176 pounds of boned out meat and the SCI score was 358 and 6/8. People keep telling me it is a bull of a lifetime. That may be true, but at 28 years old I don’t want to stop hunting mature elk. It it one of the things that I live for.