nw colo first rifle (oct 13 - 17) elk calling

davsco

WKR
am i going to hear some bulls bugling or will that be over and done with? gmu 21, 22, 30, 31, 32. sure would be awesome to hear some of that on my first elk hunt!

willy

FNG
I have hunted southern WY in mid to late Oct 4 times and have always had bugling going on, two times it was non-stop for an hour but couldn't get to where I needed to be to get a shot. Hopefully it will be the same this year when we go:)

Good luck

OP
davsco

davsco

WKR
two times it was non-stop for an hour

that would be so cool!!!

of course i'm nowhere close to good enough to tell the diff between a real elk bugle and some guy trying to bugle an elk...

willy

FNG
It was cool, on the one hunt I could see the cows but the bull stayed further in the timber. I tried for that bull for three days but wind ruined every attempt. On the other hunt it was a huge 7x7 but my buddy wasn't able to get to them, one reason was he was passive in his pursuit and then ultimately again because of wind. Never saw him again after that day. He had a harem of cows. He would love to have a redo:)

530Chukar

WKR
They were bugling the last day of first season out that way last year. This year seems to be quite a bit warmer from last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
davsco

davsco

WKR
They were bugling the last day of first season out that way last year. This year seems to be quite a bit warmer from last year.
so for a newbie like me, does that mean bugling is over or will continue longer? thanks

the_bowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
am i going to hear some bulls bugling or will that be over and done with? gmu 21, 22, 30, 31, 32. sure would be awesome to hear some of that on my first elk hunt!

I called in some 5x5’s during rifle seasons last year. Wasn’t my first plan of action but found myself in a few situations were bulls were talking and wanted some action so I obliged

eagle_eye

FNG
Two years ago, I heard some bugles right at day light. Some horse back hunters later told me they saw a group of bulls in the direction I heard the bugles coming from.

Last year I had a bull bugling. He go to about within 50 yards. Wind wasn't quite right and he left.
I didn't have a bull tag for that one, but this year I have a bull and cow tag.

These were both 4th rifle season in Colorado.
I definitely wasn't expecting any bugling that late in the year.

Last edited:
Hope you are hearing some. I had a bull bugle two days in a row in my unit. I had a cow tag or else he would have been a goner. He stood right next to the cow I shot at 75yds. Had never heard a bull bugle this late in my pressured unit, but he did it two days in a row and led me to his cows:)

OP
davsco

davsco

WKR
i wish! hearing nothing at all, and have hiked/still hunted in multiple canyons, atv trails, dirt roads, etc as well as driving way in on almost every road off of piceance creek and white river. just saw two cow elk opening morning and that's it. two days left, hope something changes for the better!

Keep at it! Think about where the elk might find sanctuary and skirt those areas and look for movement at daylight and sundown. Now that they’ve heard a few shots they may be in those “safe” pockets.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
They were still bugling last night.

OP
davsco

davsco

WKR
Man, would love to hear bugles or even see something. Yesterday afternoon hiked up and down two adjacent canyons off 64 and posted for last 3 hours til dark. Zippo except for two does. Yesterday and this morning overlooking fields within half mile or so of white river and nothing. Probably hit another canyon this afternoon unless another terrain etc suggested.

Where are you hearing bugles, in fields, canyons, ridgelines, etc?