Nevada Elk activity

Does anyone have an update from the field? I am seeing a ton of people locally saying they cant find cows to save their life. One guy I talked was convinced today(9/27) that the rut was over. He was posting pictures of bachellor groups of bulls still together and complaining about how hot it was. Personally I think the rut hasn't started yet in NV, I dont think these bulls would be grouped together post rut. I leave Oct 18 for my 072 Bull tag, the later the rut the better for me this year. Anyone seeing good rut activity in NV?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not sure about the rut activity, but once it's over the bulls will be back in bachelor groups in the nastiest cover that they can find to recover from the rut and get ready for the winter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GeoHunter

FNG
The herd where I work has been right on schedule this year, though that is private property which obviously makes a difference. When I was up in 072 for my muzzy hunt I only heard a couple bugles right at first light. I never heard the bull I eventually got make a peep, and he wasn't near any cows - this was Sep 7.

OP
B
Thanks Guys, I talked to the Biologist last week and she confirmed that the elk were rutting. I know it has been hot and dry all over the state this year. Hoping the temps drop soon as it will be a tough hunt if the elk aren't on their feet long. There is a ton of tags in my area this year, going to need to get deep into the wildness to get away from the crowd.

Elk have to breed around the fall equinox to ensure calves are birthed at the right time during late spring. Whether the bulls are vocal or not is a different story.

Braaap

WKR
I was elk hunting in NV last week (Oct 1-4), saw two groups of elk that consisted of 1 bull and 3-4 cows. I spoke with a biologist on Oct 1 that confirmed the rut was still on. We heard one bugle but are in an area with few elk.

OP
B
Thanks for the report guys, im heading to 072 next Thursday and will be there until I kill my Bull. Hoping to weather cooperates and continues to cool down. Anyone been in 072 this year? How did it go?

I was in 072 during mid-sept for a cow hunt and was succesfful. we only saw 1 cow, but that's all you need. it was very quiet, and the bulls were still in bachelor herds. We saw 8-10 bulls, only a few of them were solo, so that is in agreement with what you heard/saw from others. The weather has definitely shifted these past few days. Good luck out there, its beautiful terrain!

OP
B
Good deal, congratulations. I talked to a buddy in Elko who said they got snow a few days ago. I leave 1 week from today. Yes, it is beautiful country for sure.

I was in the Jarbidge Sept 22 - 29th. Bulls were screaming the whole time.

Backpack into Mary's River, you'll find good bulls.

OP
B
Thanks David, weather has certainly changed. The rut will be over but there are always a lot of bulls up there. Im chomping the bit to get up there. I think we have a solid plan but the 3 days scouting before the season will be huge.

OP
B
Well we leave tomorrow afternoon. The weather looks decent. Does anyone have a report from Elko or Wells are? Is there still snow on the ground or is it just up high now?

Thanks David, weather has certainly changed. The rut will be over but there are always a lot of bulls up there. Im chomping the bit to get up there. I think we have a solid plan but the 3 days scouting before the season will be huge.

Good luck. You'll find a lot of them in the steep and nasty.

GeoHunter

FNG
The only snow is up high. Hard to say exactly, but my guestimate from looking at the Ruby's is no snow until 8,000'+. The roads down low have actually manged to dry out in the last couple weeks.

D16er

Lil-Rokslider
Great, thanks for the update Geo. We will be in town tomorrow night.
I was wondering if you could pm my email to Dusty15 regarding the Vortex he has listed on the classifieds. Im a new user under the probationary period and am unable to post on classifieds nor pm other members. I am not sure if what I am asking of you is against policy, if it is please disregard.

thank you.