Failure hurt?

Have you ever noticed that guys go into the depths of H*ll after an unsuccessful elk season? Guys that post alot, expect success, and nada! Friend of mine has been MIA.

Let the fire burn hotter.

Bulldawg

WKR
Have you noticed how guys that kill their first critter are now pros haha. But yes people have high expectations and if they don’t kill they feel like people are going to judge them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahlgringo

WKR
Hah, no never noticed. I think most of us that hunt solely diy, public land, otc expect some successes and lots of failures- it just goes with the territory. Skill and effort take you a long ways- but usually a little luck is involved as well.

eric.goodwin.376

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never been on a hunt that was a failure. I’ve been on lots of hunts that have taught me a lot and helps me realize I have a lot to learn yet.

cnelk

WKR
I’d compare it to more like a bull elk after the rut.
They enjoyed the frenzy but are content with what transpired

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
It only stings for 11 months. Over time you get used to dealing with it better, and view "success" in other ways. Being serious about elk hunting is more like a career than an annual event.

Battleguy

Banned
I always scout and check out the hunting areas before i actually go in to hunt, while hunting deer i play the wind and a little scent masking won't hurt. do your research, be patient and you will get it.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I was unsuccessful in filling my elk tag this year but gained the knowledge that I want to go back to the same area 2 weeks earlier next time. The hunt itself was not a failure but that is my outlook as an archer because 90% of my outings do not result in a kill but I enjoy every moment outside except for the driving sleet and 30 mph wind trying to blow you out of the treestand. It’s not about the outcome, it’s about the journey.

HookUp

WKR
I have eaten 3 archery elk tags in the last 3 years. I'm in it for the experience and journey. This year was stunning, watched bulls fight, watched bulls steal cows. Saw herds form, I just couldn't close the distance before the wind betrayed me. Pencil me in for next year!

OP
C
Have you noticed how guys that kill their first critter are now pros haha. But yes people have high expectations and if they don’t kill they feel like people are going to judge them.

Funny for sure. Tons of them.

I totally failed two seasons ago. Slept too late, didn’t prep well enough. Made poor choices and didn’t eat well. I was frustrated for an entire year about my own performance. That was a learning experience if the worst flavor. The Colorado tags are plastic... hard to chew.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The unit I hunted this year is the same unit I hunted two years ago. Two years ago it was a horrible season in there.......and I brought home a 6x6. This year it was a pretty good hunt.......and I came home with my tag intact. Ya, I could have shot a cow or a smaller bull, but then I wouldn't have gotten two weeks of hunting in and had the experiences that I had. I still don't consider it a successful season, but I had a good time and in the end I tipped my hat to the herd bull I chased for two weeks and said "well played........until next time".

But failure is "failing to pick yourself up and try it again". So I never fail.

md126

WKR
The internet, social media, and YouTube have given a lot of people unrealistic expectations of what a successful hunt out west should be in my opinion.

It sure is easy to think that everyone else but yourself is successful based on what’s posted out there. Not a realistic perception but it is what it is. Try and enjoy it and stay positive

Went on my first trip this year, saw pronghorns, elk, moose, muledeer, bears, and spent time with a good friend. Didn't kill an elk but had a very successful experience. Learned a lot... I'll be back:cool:

I have to admit I was getting pretty discouraged due to my lack of success in recent years. I grew up in NM and hunted elk every year when in HS and college. Then when I left for the Corps it was tougher to get in elk hunts but that is when I started hunting a few other states. I had been successful exactly 50% of my time. The last 10 years I haven’t been able to hunt elk every year. Until this year the last bull I killed was on a solo archery hunt in 2008 when I killed a small 6x6 in NM unit 16e. It was an awesome hunt. I spent the next 3 years stationed overseas and could not hunt. When I returned to the states my next 3 hunts were not successful and I had some great tags. In 2012 I drew a muzzy tag for NM unit 17 and was holding out for a big bull since I have never killed a really big bull. Passed on a few smaller bulls but no tag punched. I was a bit upset for not taking advantage of that tag. In 2014 I archery hunted AZ unit 3A/3C. This was the best and worst hunt of my life. I seen a ton of big bulls, set my goal at 350 plus but unfortunately shot a huge bull and never found him. It sickens me today as this is the first elk I had ever lost. I almost gave it up because of losing this animal.

In 2017 I burned my points and drew CO muzzy tag for unit 49. I was going into this hunt with high expectations of big bulls, high alpine country and pics of me with a good bull. It was a good hunt but the elk part of it was disappointing. This year I decided to refocus and enjoy the aspect of hunting and just spending time out west. I went back to an archery hunt as I enjoy carrying my bow the most and I invested in things that would make the hunting and trip more enjoyable like new wall tent camp instead of sleeping in my truck top and lighter pack and gear for those bivy trips. I was determined to change my success and bring home elk meat this time and wasn’t focused on killing a big bull. Plus I was hunting this place for the first time and it wasn’t on everyone’s list of big bull units so holding out for a big bull didn’t make sense.
It was funny because the first morning I shot a 5x5 and had an awesome time. We all want to kill big bulls and maybe someday I will get that big one. This was the 13th elk I have killed in my lifetime of 50 years and I still have a lot to learn about elk. But as I get older there are more aspects about the hunt that I enjoy than just the harvest. This forum helps do that throughout the year. Thanks for everyone who shares their stories, all are successful.

AKBorn

WKR
One other thing to consider...most people on this site bust their behind at work, in order to take a few weeks off and hunt in the Fall. Lots of guys have a lot of work to catch up on after the hunt. I typically spend 2-3 weeks in Alaska each summer or fall, and have a ton of work on my plate when the vacation is over. Not a lot of free time to post stories...

So much depends on the personality of the hunter. You'll never see any buildup to the season from me, nor will you see anything after. The weight of the animal I packed out was an exception this year, in an effort to help other people who've not done this plan for their trips. I enjoy reading many of the post-hunt accounts - successful or not- and have learned from both types of accounts. I just don't do it myself on a public forum. On the other hand, I rarely read the buildup posts unless they're looking for advice on gear or something besides where in 'my' unit to go find Big Hank.

It does sting. Sometimes it's hard to be optimistic about all you learned in a hunt where you didn't put anything on the ground and recover it. Some years I've taken a break from this forum after a hunt. Just gotta step back. I've been disappointed in myself and don't want to worry about it for a while.

I'm sure your buddy will be back and ready to participate and learn before the year is out!