Rifle vs Bow Hunt

This might not be the perfect place for this and maybe applies on a more broad scale then just Elk but that is my first planned hunt so I'll put it here.

I have been doing a lot of researching so far for my first hunt which I plan on happening next season. I have started narrowing down my hunt area already and have a few somewhat broad questions.

It seems like majority of the podcasts and such I have watched are more of guys that do a large majority of bow hunting and I want to ensure my views of what the hunt will be are not completely thrown off from what a rifle hunt will entail.

The idea I have in my mind is initially hiking in to a place we have decided to set up camp maybe a few miles in and from there venturing out to areas each day for glassing and locating animals.

I'll just list several broad questions and take whatever answers and advice come my way:
Average distance hiked into a base camp?
Average distance hiked out from camp each day to hunt?
Glass from one area or move around constantly?
Move camp after certain time with no results?
Do you pick completely different types of areas for bow bs rifle hunts?

Another random question I'll throw in. How many pack bone in vs bone out?
I am considering bone out now, but my only concern is trying to debone something at the end of a long day into the night my first time doing a pack hunt. As I say this I do plan on going to a friends ranch in the hill country of TX for some "practice runs"

I greatly appreciate any and all advice whether it's something I have asked or something extra I may not have mentioned or thought about.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many things to consider and my personal recommendation for your first elkhunt would be to hunt from a base camp not packed in to provide more mobility and access to more areas and flexibility should there be no elk under option one. Unless know area well and high percentage of elk would base camp hunt versus packin for greater flexibility. As to the questions. Average distance hiked in will be contingent on terrain and physical ability and time of year. When I packin it is only 3 miles but gain 3800 feet. I am hunting right from camp and rifle hunting on this hunt. I know my vantage points from many years and first day will stay put in one place unless I hear a bugle or see something needing me to move. I will then move short distances as the days progress but know the travel routes. I will stay in one place for camp but would be contingent on terrain and what you are seeing or not seeing. My areas for rifle and bow do not change as the elk do not migrate simply get lower if snow gets real deep. I typically pack bone in onhind and have been known to bone fronts depending on distance and elevation gain and number of helpers.

OP
H
Many things to consider and my personal recommendation for your first elkhunt would be to hunt from a base camp not packed in to provide more mobility and access to more areas and flexibility should there be no elk under option one. Unless know area well and high percentage of elk would base camp hunt versus packin for greater flexibility. As to the questions. Average distance hiked in will be contingent on terrain and physical ability and time of year. When I packin it is only 3 miles but gain 3800 feet. I am hunting right from camp and rifle hunting on this hunt. I know my vantage points from many years and first day will stay put in one place unless I hear a bugle or see something needing me to move. I will then move short distances as the days progress but know the travel routes. I will stay in one place for camp but would be contingent on terrain and what you are seeing or not seeing. My areas for rifle and bow do not change as the elk do not migrate simply get lower if snow gets real deep. I typically pack bone in onhind and have been known to bone fronts depending on distance and elevation gain and number of helpers.

I'm a little confused on what you mean by a base camp would be better than packing in.
Could you explain a little more what you mean in the difference between? Would you not consider packing in your tent and setting a camp a "base camp"?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
A "base camp" is typically somewhere you can drive to. Then from there you can hunt in multiple directions looking for fresh sign/elk. If you find a good spot you could then "spike out" closer where you would carry in a lightweight tent and stay a few days and then return for more supplies from your base camp.
Base camp are usually more comfortable because your not restricted except what fits in your truck and you can be more mobile since your vehicle is accessible you can really spread out plan A B and C. Nice when your just guessing where the animals are, sucks packing in to an area that's been pressured before your arrival and have to pack into plan B which might also be a bust. It's also typically cheaper since lightweight gear brings a premium price tag.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have rifle hunted from trailheads (truck camper mobility) and spike camps. I spike more now but know the area and do it for opportunity and less hiking each morning/night. The colder weather makes spike camping in rifle season a bit more interesting. I can tell you if it’s solidly below freezing at night I am not going with a stove anymore, frozen boots in the morning is best case annoying but also dangerous, I had lingering numbness in some of my toes for a few months after some painful morning sits. Good gear improves things but it’s an expense and a weight to pack in, sometimes a heavy pack in really knocks down some hunters if not physically and mentally prepared, the cold just makes it worse.

Bone in/out depends on the distance. If it’s cold at night and you are tired you don’t have to bone out that night and pack through the dark. Grab a load of boneless meat that night and bag/hang the quarters bone in. Get some rest and debone in the morning when fresh (the meat will have relaxed on the bone also).

Last edited:

blkntancj

FNG
Also find out what the migration is like in the area you plan to hunt. Where I bow hunt there will be virtually no elk until late August, then lots of elk until mid October, then virtually none again. So to answer the question of different areas for bow vs rifle hunts, the answer is yes, sometimes...