2018 Idaho Panhandle walk about looking for elk:)

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
So quick info about my non season...turned 55 in August hunted for elk in Idaho every year since 1980 and archery since 1986. Not to emphasize any point other than where than if there is a will, desire and dedication things can be done. I have had 11 knee surgeries and 2 acl replacements all on one knee. I will need a replacement before I am 60 and I do everything in my power weekly to stay in shape and be able to hike miles daily during elk season and in the spring, as my passion is hiking and looking for elk antlers. I have done well through the years and have no magic or secret other than I dedicate my year to the 120 days each year I want to be in the mountains. I had back surgery unfortunately on 8/22 for an l5 s1 extrusion which to say this it sucks and I had to miss archery but if real LUCKY I can hunt rifle but cannot pack any of the elk and have to limit my weight to 20ish pds through the fall and be careful. Rehab has been a lot of walking and core training. Was able to keep my endurance up and probably have done too much but no pain is no gain. Anyway to this weekend. Long time friend and hunting buddy asked if I was capable of going elk hunting one day and bugling for him. Of course I was more than eager. He arrived at 4am and at 6am we were looking for bugles to chase. Was able to check some cams and at 10 am we got two bulls going and one was eager to play. Having shot my first bull in this canyon in the 80's and many since I know the canyon very well. Game on......got the bull coming in and he closed to about 30yds but in typical north Idaho brush we did not see him and he snuck off. Likely got a little whiff of us. We climbed to his ridge did some more calling and started his direction where we thought he traveled. 10 minutes later guess who is coming in to check us out....I don't get to be the spectator often so this was cool and as I have had a crappy September this one day made my season as I watched this bull coming in 90,80,70 stop look, 60, 50, 40, this is where many make a mistake no calling was made from the time we saw him at about 110 as he slowly came in....my buddy then got ready as he went behind a tree 30, turned broadside, 20, 18 smackdown time. Bull dead walking...…..this bull double lunged stayed on his feet exactly one hour and I then heard him crash 250 yds from the shot....he left a decent blood trail but one you did have to look very closely to follow....two excited guys and a great day of friendship and one I probably over did it, at 39000 steps and 14 miles but I only had 14 pds on my back and got to supervise the packout and help where I could. Now I continue to get ready for my own hunt in 10 days if lucky with young bucks to do the fun work if lucky enough! Never miss an elk season if at all possible and work hard and it can be done in 4 hours of hunting OTC elk, bugling them in and have a lot of fun!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
some cam pics we scooped on our journey my buddy thought we were just on a cam recon until the action began:)
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Always enjoy your posts, and this one was extremely motivating for me. I had my ACL cut in MArch of this year, and then had the unfortunate experience of going to sleep on the 19th of July and wake up having been bitten on the balls by a black widow. 2 surgeries later (and all intact) I was in and out of the hospital with infections for 5 weeks. Still excited about the September Archery elk hunt, except one thing, I got rear ended the night before I was supposed to leave, and ended up having a heart attack. A result of stress and the potential infection from the spider bite. Well, to say I was bummed was an understatement, but prepping for next year, will be better than ever. Keep up the good work.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hardcore wanna say all the luck to you and you more than deserve some luck! Good luck on the recoveries and the next season I envision some great memories and stories for you!!!

Don’t worry about not going elk hunting after knee replacement I had mine replaced when I was 70 , 6 months later I was elk hunting . This year I will be 79 in Nov and I are leaving for New Mexico in 2 weeks to hunt Elk I have been hunting every year sense my replacement Keep a good attitude and do therapy ,therapy, therapy John Good Luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been there and done that Ross. Three total ACL repairs. Two on the left and one on the right. 2 more knee surgeries. I was bone on bone in my left knee at the age of 21. Told I'd need a replacement in my left knee by 40. I'm 43 and, while it bothers me I'm still going strong on my bones. :^)

Congrats on the grit. That is what it takes and you got plenty of it. May your rifle hunt go well. Good luck and God Bless

Guff

FNG
Thanks for sharing and good luck on your upcoming hunt! Great bull and neat trail cam pics.

Disco14

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing the stories guys- I’m in my low 40s w/ my share of old injuries and got started elk hunting later in life. My goal is to hunt out west for elk w/ my twin brother into our 60s- 70s!

Logan T

WKR
Always enjoy your posts, and this one was extremely motivating for me. I had my ACL cut in MArch of this year, and then had the unfortunate experience of going to sleep on the 19th of July and wake up having been bitten on the balls by a black widow. 2 surgeries later (and all intact) I was in and out of the hospital with infections for 5 weeks. Still excited about the September Archery elk hunt, except one thing, I got rear ended the night before I was supposed to leave, and ended up having a heart attack. A result of stress and the potential infection from the spider bite. Well, to say I was bummed was an understatement, but prepping for next year, will be better than ever. Keep up the good work.

Uffda. If I ever think I’m having a rough go of things.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes sir, Ross is one of the hunters here I've always wanted to share a beer with & sit & chat about elk, he's got a lifetime of memories to share, you can see that from posts he's shared over the years! Good luck to you brother!

ElkNut/Paul