Arrow ballistics?

trevvamos

Lil-Rokslider
Been racking this up in my mind and don’t have an explanation. On my archery bull I took last week, I hit him a little far back in the liver. Arrow penetrated clean through rib cage, hit opposite rib, snapped, and bounced into left rear quarter. At least i assume that’s what happened, as I found broadhead and six inches of shaft lodged far into down into his leg. Anybody else have similar experiences?

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
My experience is unless the animal perfectly broadside arrows will glance a little. example would be if an elk is slightly quarter too the arrow will exit farther back then anticipated. If you break the reaction force into vectors from the animal to the arrow there is a force pushing perpendicular to the animals body which would cause the arrow to exit further back on a slightly quarter to shot. a quarter away shot the arrow will exit slightly farther forward. the extent of this will vary depending of FOC, Arrow Weight, and shot place (hit a rib or not). in your case though it sounds more reasonable that the arrow did not get a full pass through and when the bull was running it got caught on a tree or brush and that caused the arrow to break and get lodged in the hind quarter. congrats on the elk.

ahlgringo

WKR
Had a buddy shoot a bull I called in this year with a shot path I have never seen before. Shooting 70lbs 410g arrow at 29"dl g5 montek bh's. Bull broadside with very slight quartering to. Arrow entered left lung, hit right upper back lung then I am assuming bit backside rib and deflected posteriorly traversing entire abdominal cavity and exiting Right Rear quarter about 3" from anus. Bull took about 10 steps before falling over. As we approached an hour later all we could see of the arrow was about 15" of it sticking out parallel to the poop shooter.

KHNC

WKR
Its easier to understand after you get 500 or more posts. ;)

dtrkyman

WKR
In my opinion what happens often is the animal is in motion as the arrow hits, we learned how rarely an animal was standing still when we start filming hunts and could see them react to the sound of the bow. So a moving object strikes another moving object and crazy chit happens!

I shot a whitetail for years ago 100% broadside, I know this due to her walking parallel to standing corn I was next to, shot entered her perfectly, after a track job much longer than expected I found the exit just in front of the opposite hip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk