Rifle elk - shot position

Wworker

FNG
I'm going on my first guided rifle elk hunt in MT at the end of the month. I've been practicing shooting in various positions (prone, sitting, offhand, etc.) and got to wondering in what position most people have shot their elk?

Kneeling over stump/rock on pack if have time.
Or laying down off pack.
Or off pack/log and a weird sitting leaned over sitting position on a super steep hillside.
Maybe a little practice with ur pack as a rest and I'd say u have practiced more then most guys out there.

Silverado

FNG
I've never been in a place where I could shoot prone...usually either because I'm on a hillside or theres brush, rocks, or something else in the way. I carry shooting sticks so I can kneel or sit anywhere and have a solid rest

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Through the decades many in all positions so would practice some off hand and sitting prone last one thing at the range you see few doing is any off hand standing practice good luck👍

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
In 25 years of rifle hunting, every elk I shot (20+) was from standing position free hand. That's how I shot everything growing up, from the time I was old enough to carry a gun.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Most shots I've taken on game in the last few years have all been prone, I keep hearing folks talking about "who EVER shoots prone while hunting" and I can't relate as that has been what I do. I don't still hunt through timber requiring jump shots. Whether its grasslands, brush terrain, alpine basin's as long as I've spotted the game first and had a few moments to set up a shot I've found a prone position. This doesn't mean I've found a classic prone position, sometimes my body position is creatively placed but I've got the bipod planted and the gun is very stable which is what I'm after. Last week I shot an antelope from a kneeling offhand position since he spotted me first so its not always prone but it often is for me.

That said shooting prone doesn't take a ton of practice if your general fundamentals are known so time spent in various offhand positions is certainly time well spent. Just make sure you have enough familiarity with getting down prone and your eye cleanly behind the scope quickly whether you're down on your chest or up on your elbows and you'll be pretty good to go on prone practice for hunting.

I should clarify I typically hunt with a bipod installed on my rifle so the time for me to go prone is minimal and well worth it for the stability that I get from it, the reticle stability helps me stay calm and confident (which we all know is a factor in clean shots) vs timing the shot on a moving reticle when balancing offhand. That's just what works for me. Mainly was pointing out prone hunting shots aren't unicorn situations.

GeoHunter

FNG
My first three cow elk were all sitting with a rest - shooting sticks, rock, and backpack. Once I realized my pack was about the same height as my shooting sticks and more stable I stopped carrying them. My bull this year, however, the brush was too tall to sit and have a clear shot, so it was a standing, off-shoulder, but that was only 86 yards. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking that shot much further.

ericF

WKR
I think 9 elk for me all sitting down with shooting sticks. It will probably depend entirely on your type of hunt. Usually we are going first rifle in a pretty crowded unit, so we find our spot and wait for the elk to come to us from all the people pushing them around. Only once have I gotten to spot and stalk in a different unit, but I still had time to get ahead of the herd and setup with sticks.

OP
W

Wworker

FNG
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the info. I've been trying to practice in "real world" situations so I am as prepared as possible, should I get an opportunity for a shot. There's still some time for additional work, so your input will help focus my time at the range on the most likely shots.

Wrench

WKR
Your style and location will really dictate your opportunities. If you're a sit on a rock all day guy your odds of prone are higher than the push the brush guy....with that said, you kill elk where you find them and you better be able to get in a position to be accurate enough to hit a beach ball sized spot in short order. I suggest practice with elevated heart rate and odd positions.

I've killed them from 850 to in my personal space and the closer they are the less they want you to spend much time looking at them.

wworker-here are a couple positions you can work on:
-quick shot situation out to a few hundred yards where you do not have a tree to wrap into and bit of brush on the ground you can drop your pack and keep it vertical place the forearm of the rifle on the top of your pack...kneel on your left knee and rest your right elbow on your right knee. That is pretty stable. If you have a few more seconds you can wrap your foot through shoulder straps and pull into your body while pushing with your left hand out on the pack to build really stable position.
-open country with no trees and if you use trekking poles form a V with left hand and angle them forward and "load" the rifle into them similar to a bipod keeping your feet wide enough to be stable
-long shots from kneeling position over brush you will need to find a tree and then wrap your sling around left arm to create solid tension and then pull your pack under your right armpit taking up that space on the right side...tighten up your right arm around the pack. This is a very solid position.
-long shots standing position you need to find a good branch on a tree for forearm wedge then take trekking poles and create a "V" with your left arm across your body under the stock of the rifle. You can almost free recoil from this position. If you load your body into the rifle at all it is still VERY stable and I feel comfortable shooting out a ways from this position.

I think the most important thing you can do is run through all these scenarios in your yard/house and practice dry firing every night for a few weeks and then hit the range and see what you can do with live ammo.

The most important piece of advice I can give is this:
-spending the time to build a solid position for a really good shot is much better than taking several shots from a questionable position...plus you will have better chance to see bullet splash and follow up when you are locked into a solid position

njdoxie

WKR
Good Info Molon Labe....Position I struggle with is steep uphill....any ideas for that? Haven’t had to take that shot yet, but the country I hunt could easily present that shot.