Ammo Choice

Heading to CO next week Unit 12 for an elk hut. Shooting a Browning 30 06 X Bolt Speed. Have 3 ammo choices, Federal Trophy Tip 180 grain, Hornady ELD-X 178 grain, and Barnes Ttsx copper 180 grain. All shoot pretty close together at 200 yards. As far as I could practice. Shot a box of each testing. All 3 had good groups. No real impact difference. Hornady was the best by a whisker. Shot the Browning BXC 185 grain and it shot 1 foot low and 6 inch groups at 200 yards!!!!!! Ruled them out!

Been reading that the Hornady ELD's tend to explode at shorter ranges. Based on real results on elk which would you choose???? I'm leaning toward the Federal as it has always been my go to ammo, but the Barnes copper looks interesting, just never shot anything with an all copper bullet.

I've never hunted elk only whitetail and had band flops with Federal Fusions. Have read every article I could find on the bullets and the Federal and Barnes appear to be the best??????

Guide said to be ready to shoot out to 400 yards.

Last edited:

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Browning A-Bolt stainless stalker and load it with Barnes TTSX 165 grain bullets. Only ever shot one elk with a rifle but he didn’t go 30 yards after a 330 yard shot.

I used to bring hornady sst ammo but those bullets completely explode on impact which is what their designed for. That being said, I'm gonna take the federal premium trophy bonded this year to get some better penetration

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Barnes is by far the best of those three. I shoot an .06 also. I'm hesitant to shoot anything that is not a bonded bullet for Elk with an .06.
I've tried all those and a few more, they all grouped similar. I decided on the Nosler Trophy Grade 180gr. Accubond. Shot placement is the key
and I probably would never take a shot at an Elk over 350 or so yards with an .06. Just my opinion.

Barnes is by far the best of those three. I shoot an .06 also. I'm hesitant to shoot anything that is not a bonded Shot placement is the key and I probably would never take a shot at an Elk over 350 or so yards with an .06. Just my opinion.

I agree with PAhunter58, I use the Barnes in my .340 and 30/06 but have not tried any of the other bullets you asked about .

The Federal Trophy Tip 180 gr. would be a great bullet as would the Barnes bullet loads you mention of your three choices. I would pick one of those. They both should work just fine.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I think we have taken 3 bulls with the barnes. 2 with 300 win. Mag and one with .308. We wanted to get away from lead with a bunch of young kids in the family. The Barnes copper TTSX has been great for us. Don't have experience with the other ammo.

I’d shoot whatever one groups the best. All will work. You could go down a weight with the lead free bullets though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
Just got done shooting. Barnes shoots the best. X-Bolt really likes it. The Federal was a real close second. Bringing both, going to load the Barnes for the hunt!!!!! Thanks for all your comments.

Federal would be my choice if it grouped well. Barnes usually shoots good but bullet construction vs animals isn't the best. But like most have said. Bonded bullets are best for elk, but see what your gun likes.

OP
T
Thanks, I'm bringing a box of each. Both the Federal and Barnes shot great. The Barnes was a whisker tighter group. But both within my shooting ability...lol. Crazy tight groups from both. I never owned a rifle that shot so good!!!!!

What really surprised me was how bad the Browning ammo grouped. Can't believe they even sell it. Must not have shot it!!!!!

I'll see what the guides say and go from there. Based on how they both grouped I'm confident in both.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Federal would be my choice if it grouped well. Barnes usually shoots good but bullet construction vs animals isn't the best. But like most have said. Bonded bullets are best for elk, but see what your gun likes.
Say what? Bullet construction vs animals isn't the best? Those things are sledge hammers and practically 100% weight retention from every bullet I've ever recovered. Have you actually used them? They are lethal and would be my first choice out of all of those listed, although I would probably load a 165

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
YOUR gun didn't like the Browning ammo, not unusual for some rifles to shoot particular ammo badly, while others have great results with it. That's why you have to find what your gun likes. Load those Barnes and go kill, this from a fellow E Tennessean
Thanks, I'm bringing a box of each. Both the Federal and Barnes shot great. The Barnes was a whisker tighter group. But both within my shooting ability...lol. Crazy tight groups from both. I never owned a rifle that shot so good!!!!!

What really surprised me was how bad the Browning ammo grouped. Can't believe they even sell it. Must not have shot it!!!!!

I'll see what the guides say and go from there. Based on how they both grouped I'm confident in both.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My 30-06 is a back up gun for an upcoming elk hunt. I wanted to leave the scope set where it is for my deer loads, as the deer season will be shortly after I get home. I tried the Barnes Vor Tx 168 g TTSX BT. It shot 4" high at 100, 2.5 high at 220, and 2" low at 300. Is anyone surprised there wasn't more drop at 300? What would I expect at 400? Can't find ballistics chart with these oddball settings (like 4" high at 100).

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Tagged my first bull with reloaded ammo on 10/16. Shot a busted up old bull at 245 yards with my Barnes 165gr TTSX. Shooting a Browning A-Bolt chambered in 30-06. He was quartering away. Hit him in the crease at about high heart level and it came out the front of his chest. He made it all of 50 yards...if that. Very easy blood trail.

Really wanted to recover the bullet...but I had to settle for an easy blood trail from a pass through instead.

Hilltopper,
My 30-06 is zeroed at 200. Here's what my trajectory looks like
100 -1.5"
200 0"
220 1.5"
300 8"

Muzzle velocity is 2,836 fps

Last edited:

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
My 30-06 is a back up gun for an upcoming elk hunt. I wanted to leave the scope set where it is for my deer loads, as the deer season will be shortly after I get home. I tried the Barnes Vor Tx 168 g TTSX BT. It shot 4" high at 100, 2.5 high at 220, and 2" low at 300. Is anyone surprised there wasn't more drop at 300? What would I expect at 400? Can't find ballistics chart with these oddball settings (like 4" high at 100).

Barnes velocity is better than advertised out of my gun. 139 LRX are 3350 at 12 yards out of my 7mag with a 26 inch barrel. That is 140FPS faster than advertised (24 inch barrel).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

efnm

WKR
Poking around on some online ballistics calculator using those results and Barnes' factory velocity, my guess is that you are effectively zeroed in for around 260 yards. That means you are going to be 4" high from the low 100 yards through 175 yards at least. Results show 3.25" low at 300 but that is well within the margin of MOA compared to your results. I'd keep that in mind and hold just a bit low if you use the backup rifle.