NW colo elk first rifle RAIN

davsco

WKR
looks like a lotta rain for the next week and a half but clearing on opening day. i'm out here in Rifle now to start scouting tomorrow thru the 12th. any ideas what all this rain and cold may do to the elk (higher, lower, woods, more open, etc)? thanks!!

fishslap

WKR
I was in nw Colorado last week looking for grouse in my normal elk areas. Very dry and only saw a few cows. I hope the weather helps move them or I’ll need to change things up for first rifle.

looks like a lotta rain for the next week and a half but clearing on opening day. i'm out here in Rifle now to start scouting tomorrow thru the 12th. any ideas what all this rain and cold may do to the elk (higher, lower, woods, more open, etc)? thanks!!

I'm in the same boat. Buddy and I will be there on Monday. I'm just hoping it's not pouring while we're setting up camp, and that the forecast for clearing during the season actually happens.

Regardless, it will be a great couple of weeks in country that I love with a long time friend. If we happen to take an elk, that's a bonus.

Good luck to you!

OP
davsco

davsco

WKR
Yeah we got in a little scouting and hiking in this morning but raining now at 1230 and doesn't look clea til Tue then rain again Wed and Thursday . Yesterday we were socked in with fog, very little visibility which doesn't help scouting.

Yeah we got in a little scouting and hiking in this morning but raining now at 1230 and doesn't look clea til Tue then rain again Wed and Thursday . Yesterday we were socked in with fog, very little visibility which doesn't help scouting.

No doubt. The best glass in the world still cant' see through fog. LOL

OP
davsco

davsco

WKR
Have the recent rains lifted the fire bans? Rio Blanco county?

do not know, haven't checked. but would be surprised if any fire bans aren't lifted at this point. driving around today, more rain, and more soupier roads. unless there is a lot of gravel on them, be very careful!.