What did you get rid of from your pack after elk season?

After season? I started dropping it during season. First trip to Idaho and I learned quick it is STEEP! Switching from one drainage to another my buddy and I cut out 8 lbs between our two packs. Got rid of 1 stove, 1 tarp shelter, handgun (no bear sign), GPS (used OnX), rain pants, heavy jacket, and solar charger. Threw it all in a dry bag and hung it in a tree just off the trail back to the truck. (Glad no one came across it with I'll intentions)

Finally cut the cord and came to fully trust Merino layers and mid layer jacket for 97% of archery needs, also decided the old rain pants have to go!

Got rid of my big block charger that weighed 1 lb in exchange for a battery add on for the phone only that weighed 4 oz. Good thread!

Also need to do a better job of not overpacking warm clothes for early season hunts, and could have gotten away with 40F sleeping bag

HUNTNUT

FNG
This is a great thread!!!! I've always said those that don't know what they are doing are always looking for something to put in their pack. Those that know what they are doing are always looking for something tot take out.

MtnOyster

WKR
I'm pretty much down to a 3 liter bladder, game bags, knife and paracord...……..trekking poles when im not using them.

I got rid of the whole pack. Been running an Icon Pro 3200 for a couple years and while I don't have any major issues with it I couldn't help but feel it was time to try something different/new/better. I had a chance to try an Exo K2 3500 so I'm going to give Exo a try this year. I already sold the Kuiu.

Changes made this year:
1. I changed from a 3L bladder to a 2L bladder and started carrying my Sawyer with me all the time. We're always near water so running out isn't an issue as I can quickly refill. I figure the weight of my Sawyer is way less than an extra L of water.

2. I ditched my GPS and just ran OnX on my iPhone. Was a bit nervous about it, but no complaints about the decision.

3. Stopped carrying my rain jacket/pants and pack rain cover as it's rained all of about 6 minutes in the 4 years I've hunted in ID. I have a small section of Tyvek in my pack I can use as a tarp if needed in a pinch.

CX5Ranch

WKR
I threw away my tag. I never used it once

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bearclaw

FNG
I got rid of a sleeping bag and went to a quilt and for warm stuff got rid of full pad and went to a 3/4 length. That dropped over a pound and for hunts with lots of glassing I added a REI mini camp chair at just over a pound. Net same weight (close enough) but much more comfortable glassing long periods and in camp.

Also dropped the OR advanced bivy for a BA Seedhouse SL2 tent which is similar weight but more roomy and comfy...

For running and gunning, that chair will be left at home...

I added a kick stand to my trailer on my bike. big time game changer, I could load quarters in the trailer and the bike and trailer stood up.

not having rain gear is weird to me. I live in north Idaho. where this fall has been dry, last October we had 9 inches of rain.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Great thread.

Call me crazy about I’m moving the majority of my emergency stuff to the truck.

Tools, extra batteries Etc if I have something go wrong I’ll just hike back.

It’s funny reading this the one thing I decided I couldn’t go without was rain gear. Haha

Ucsdryder

WKR
Great thread.

Call me crazy about I’m moving the majority of my emergency stuff to the truck.

Tools, extra batteries Etc if I have something go wrong I’ll just hike back.

It’s funny reading this the one thing I decided I couldn’t go without was rain gear. Haha

Wait...so if you need your emergency stuff you’ll hike back to the truck? That seems flawed. What if you can’t hike? What if you get lost? What if you get stuck in a blizzard like my buddy did? What if your batteries die at night?

After this elk season I could remove my kill kit and game bags from my pack. Couldn't find a dang thing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Took out a solar charger and an extra set of “backup” binos - was easily 3lbs.

My Son and I are constantly pulling pranks on each other. This year, he hid approx 8lbs of sandbags in the bottom of my pack. Took me 2 days of hiking/hunting to find it. We’ve officially called a “truce” this season, but I may still have something in store for him. I can laugh about it now, but at the time I was thinking - dang, I’m getting old. Just turned 50 in March. Great thread.

GPS. With the inReach and phone, no need. I carried all 3 for the past years, just in case my inReach went down, but got rid of the gps as the inReach has been great.

Mid way through I took the lid and grab it off my pack. I added just two large pockets and away I went. Easier to get in and out plus saved some weight. I may get rid of the Cordura pockets and go to Muskeg pockets next year. Even lighter...

oldgoat

WKR
I could get rid of kill kit, bow, knifes and save a lot of weight! Somebody up above mentioned getting rid of stove and just eating pro-bars and bh sammichs, you should weigh up what that weighs for a week versus what dehydrated meals and stove weigh, unless you have go pack in ALL your water, my mind says the stove and dehydrated/freeze dried foods for a week would be lighter!

jsb

FNG
I got rid of my pack. "Hunting" packs suck, they are heavy and clumsy. Got a new Osprey midsize pack (green) and saved three pounds. Soooo comfortable. Big enough to carry a front quarter back to the truck, at which point I exchange it for a frame pack or game cart.

Came here to say that i was cutting my kill kit since I haven’t needed it for a few years, but y’all beat me to it! Ha!

I’ll be trimming the amount of meals that I need to rehydrate down to one. Only dinner when it’s dark and there’s no rush to be anywhere.

Really loved my new (to me) concept of non-Goretex boots (Salomon Quest 4D) with Rocky waterproof GTX socks. Much better ventilation when you don’t need the waterproofness and can throw the GTX socks on over your regular socks when it rains or there’s a ton of dew in the morning. Worked out very well this year! Another plus to the system is that the boots dry faster and the GTX membrane can be switched out when it wears out but the boots still have life left.

I’m unable to find any mention of a Salomon Quest 4D non-GTX model. Can you link to what you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk