What did you get rid of from your pack after elk season?

Mule

FNG
I was forced off the mountain early -- Premature Evacuation -- due to the amount of moisture that my down quilt absorbed. It didn't get wet, and I protect my down as if it were my life. The constant rain and in-tent humidity really loved those feathers. Down has always served me well in the past. I will be dumping my down for a synthetic quilt the next go-round. I slept in full hunting layers the last 3 nights of 7 total. The last night was the coldest before I had to bail. Puffy just wasn't good enough.

Also, will look into dumping my meindles for krispy boots. I got really sick of wet feet! I hear krispy's have an inner "bladder" of sorts.

Cliffy12

Lil-Rokslider
I could get rid of kill kit, bow, knifes and save a lot of weight! Somebody up above mentioned getting rid of stove and just eating pro-bars and bh sammichs, you should weigh up what that weighs for a week versus what dehydrated meals and stove weigh, unless you have go pack in ALL your water, my mind says the stove and dehydrated/freeze dried foods for a week would be lighter!
I did no stove for a weekend and thought it worked well. But I'm interested in weighing what I took in versus stove and gas. The thing about just food is it will always get lighter as the days go by. But with the drive you will always have the stove weight.
I am probably leaving the rain pack cover. I should leave my rain pants but can't bring my self to do that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Quests have never used Gore Tex, and whatever they use isn't waterproof anyways. You'd be better off checking out the new Altra Lone Peak Mid RSMs. Lighter, and they use eVent now which is a proven commodity.
I’m unable to find any mention of a Salomon Quest 4D non-GTX model. Can you link to what you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quests have never used Gore Tex, and whatever they use isn't waterproof anyways. You'd be better off checking out the new Altra Lone Peak Mid RSMs. Lighter, and they use eVent now which is a proven commodity.

You may be right about it not holding up but you’re mistaken about the Quest boots not using a Goretex membrane. That’s what the GTX at the end designates. Salomon clearly states the presence of Goretex membrane on the product pages for both Primes and 4Ds.

I do like the low drop on the Lone Peaks and the eVent is cool, but it doesn’t seem like they could offer the same support as the Quest 4D when packing heavy so I’m torn. I was considering the X Ultra Mids, though, so I will at least try on the Altra Mid RSM for comparison.

I tried an exact blade gut hook this year. Put a hooked blade used from Home Depot into a Gerber folding handle. Worked fine, but was really only a luxury. I will use it when I am not concerned about weight, but for the whole season, I hiked over a hundred miles, and if it is not that much better than a Havalon alone. I also dropped the SteriPen- I carry 1L, and can get by. If on the ridges, water is not that available.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You may be right about it not holding up but you’re mistaken about the Quest boots not using a Goretex membrane. That’s what the GTX at the end designates. Salomon clearly states the presence of Goretex membrane on the product pages for both Primes and 4Ds.

I do like the low drop on the Lone Peaks and the eVent is cool, but it doesn’t seem like they could offer the same support as the Quest 4D when packing heavy so I’m torn. I was considering the X Ultra Mids, though, so I will at least try on the Altra Mid RSM for comparison.

If they use Gore tex in the Quests they use the crappiest Gore tex in the world. Those things start leaking when they mention rain in the forecast

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I used the X Ultra 2 this year and they also leaked really bad. The first week I thought maybe I was wetting them from the inside out but after the first week the weather dried up and I didn't have any problems. The boots were light and comfortable but if they won't hold out water I want something more breathable.

Pretty much everything except for my knife, first aid kit, game bags, couple snacks, headlamp, some elecctrical tape, paracord and my nalgene

Wapiti1

WKR
Two matchbox trucks my grandson put in my pack so I would have something to play with while hunting.

I didn't find them until I was digging for my game bags last week. Wish I had known about them, they would have gotten some play time during archery season.

Jeremy

CorbLand

WKR
Two matchbox trucks my grandson put in my pack so I would have something to play with while hunting.

I didn't find them until I was digging for my game bags last week. Wish I had known about them, they would have gotten some play time during archery season.

Jeremy

I think I would just leave those in the pack.

K

Kootenay Hunter

I ditched the pack entirely. Rifle and Knife. If I bag an animal I will pack it out in it's own hide, and I could bivy underneath it if needed.

TravisIN

WKR
Food is the main thing. Took way way to much. First trip so went heavy just to be safe. Cutting down my first aid/emergency kit down substantially also. Dropping the extra underwear but keeping the extra socks. I used everything else enough to keep it. Thanks to this forum and kifarucast I had a really good gear list for my first trip. A few things I’m hoping to change though. Gonna get a smaller pot for my jetboil or look into other stove options. Also hoping to upgrade pad, pillow, and bag.