who is this in nw colo?

davsco

WKR
driving around, saw two pull behind RV's and a pull behind enclosed trailer all parked together in a field. pickups were not there, presumably scouting or getting supplies. anyone here on rockslide?

also saw a bus pulling into a landowner tag area, said he'd been coming up for 20+ years.

way busier around here than it was just a few days ago.

raining here today (prob snow in the hills) so just hanging in town (rifle) for the most part. do want to find a range to check my zero.

label027

FNG
I'm in the same boat as El General, leaving tonight and have done ZERO work today. What unit you planning on hunting? How are the road conditions?

OP
davsco

davsco

WKR
just have to play the dirt roads by ear. some are super sloppy and frankly scary, others are no big deal. this is before last nite/today's rain and snow, haven't been back up today.

never used chains and not sure how they work in the mud? thinking if they don't have a hard surface (ie pavement) to get down to, they won't do much in the mud?

just have to play the dirt roads by ear. some are super sloppy and frankly scary, others are no big deal. this is before last nite/today's rain and snow, haven't been back up today.

never used chains and not sure how they work in the mud? thinking if they don't have a hard surface (ie pavement) to get down to, they won't do much in the mud?

I've never used them, but the right kind should help in that area as its mostly slick clay as opposed to deep mud (from what I have been told).

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

They work great in the mud and muck........in fact quite mandatory IMO in a lot of those areas over there. I grew up in the 80's hunting south of Rifle and Silt. There and unit 43 are where most of my hunting with chains experience is from. Good times. I can't think of a rifle season over there when I didn't have all four chained up, but we used to get a lot more snow back in the 80's during rifle seasons. 1984.......the Snow Bowl, Monday night middle of October. We got snow that was up to my hips, and I have a 38" inseam.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I remember that one.

and knew of horses that died in it.

Yep, and entire camps and vehicles were left up there when SAR came through and took people out on snowmobiles. It was barely opening weekend and we had planned on 3 weeks including deer season, so we stayed.

willy

FNG
Yep, and entire camps and vehicles were left up there when SAR came through and took people out on snowmobiles. It was barely opening weekend and we had planned on 3 weeks including deer season, so we stayed.

That's impressive. I would love to hear some stories of how those three weeks went. Was mental toughness the key to success?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That's impressive. I would love to hear some stories of how those three weeks went. Was mental toughness the key to success?

I actually hunted some the next day, but there were a lot of drifts around that were even deeper which made it impossible to get anywhere for the most part. We eventually broke down camp and moved lower towards the end of the elk season after some snow had melted. Ended up in areas with only a foot of snow and found elk and success. Then by deer season we hunted pretty low, but back then there were nice bucks everywhere compared to these days. It was impossible to not shoot a decent buck.

When I was young, getting snowed in was half the fun.....we looked forward to it. Spending time in camp with buddies without a care in the world was as fun as the hunting itself. We pushed snow with our bumpers coming out most years back then. These days, I hate that. I like it warm and dry. That's why I'm a bowhunter.