f***, bunch of vehicles parked at 'my' spot

davsco

WKR
so got here in nw colo a week ago and scouted mostly since. on tuesday, found my spot about a mile in from the nearest road. lots of fresh poop and tracks. go to look at google earth just now and there are handful of vehicles parked at the road where i was going to park. they weren't there tuesday. in scouting all over 21 & 22, didn't find another site anywhere remotely close to this amount of elk sign. not very happy and not really sure what to do. guess i'll just stick with the plan and hope they either go in way deeper or just 100yds off the road. if not i guess i'll go in deeper but the problem is there are other roads around i will run into.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
???
I'm a little confused, you do realize that Google Earth does not provide real time images? They are usually several years old.

OP
davsco

davsco

WKR
it's showing some other vehicles that were parked at another location i scouted in the last week, so thought it was real time. i'm not seeing date and time, just lat/lon and elevation at the bottom right. maybe there is a switch somewhere i'm missing? sure hope you guys are right!!

willy

FNG
it's in the lower right of the screen, to the left of lat and long. Pull your cursor to the bottom of the page and it should show up.

willy

FNG
'15 and '16 were the years that came up when I just zoomed over the nw colorado area. Don't know your specific region you are referencing. My guess its from those years.

it's showing some other vehicles that were parked at another location i scouted in the last week, so thought it was real time. i'm not seeing date and time, just lat/lon and elevation at the bottom right. maybe there is a switch somewhere i'm missing? sure hope you guys are right!!

Look at the parking lot at your work or your driveway. Highly unlikely that your vehicle is showing up where it is now. Man if it was real time I'd be checking my spots at sunrise and sunset basically everyday. Check tonight when it is dark as well, you'll be surprised how light it is.

OP
davsco

davsco

WKR
ok, i guess i am a friggin' idiot. i was using the web version which did not have a date, just downloaded it and that version does say exactly three years ago so guessing first elk 2015. it was showing what looked like the couple of vehicles i saw in another spot so thought it was realtime, again i'm an idiot! but this does look like it was a hotspot three years ago, hoping those guys don't come back...

but i guess the real question is, what do you do if you come to your hike-in spot and find some vehicles there at 0500?

OP
davsco

davsco

WKR
Look at the parking lot at your work or your driveway. Highly unlikely that your vehicle is showing up where it is now. Man if it was real time I'd be checking my spots at sunrise and sunset basically everyday. Check tonight when it is dark as well, you'll be surprised how light it is.

yeah yeah yeah, i get it. didn't think it was real time (as i have looked at nite) but figured 24 or 48 hour lapse. again the web version didn't have a date on it.

geriggs

WKR
Stick with your plan initially. You have good elk sign. Get to your spot earlier especially the first day or two. This weather and the other hunters will keep the elk moving. that can be a good thing during rifle season. If after a few days you are seeing no new or very little fresh sign and not hearing any shots...maybe its time to move on. Always have a plan B if you can. Its hard to get away from the orange army during rifle season. Its also not necessary alot of times.Good luck

ok, i guess i am a friggin' idiot. i was using the web version which did not have a date, just downloaded it and that version does say exactly three years ago so guessing first elk 2015. it was showing what looked like the couple of vehicles i saw in another spot so thought it was realtime, again i'm an idiot! but this does look like it was a hotspot three years ago, hoping those guys don't come back...

but i guess the real question is, what do you do if you come to your hike-in spot and find some vehicles there at 0500?

When we got to our planned trailhead in Wyoming there were four trucks already there. I was a little worried but there were several trails branching off going to different areas so we hiked in. Never saw a soul. Came out with my deer and there was literally trucks everywhere. 20+ i'd say. Hiked back in and my buddy got a buck and still never saw another guy. You just never know really.

ljalberta

WKR
Vehicles at trailheads is a common thing! And, it's a good thing! It means there's other hunters out there who also love and appreciate hunting public lands, and that's what we need more of in North America! As others said, stick to the plan. Often you won't even see them, other times you will, but that's okay - I've met some amazing people out in the bush who often pointed me to animals and areas I may not have otherwise found.

jetsled

FNG
Lol....your a joker. Go deeper, always the best solution. I start at 15 miles in and go from there. Guaranteed to see critters!

yeah yeah yeah, i get it. didn't think it was real time (as i have looked at nite) but figured 24 or 48 hour lapse. again the web version didn't have a date on it.

Just messing around. I'd stick to your plan and then have a backup plan if people are at your spot. It is public land.

swampokie

WKR
Thank god for davsco! I was deeply depressed until I read this thread. I have repeatedly pissed my pants reading it! Amazing! Thanks for cheering me up.