Elk hide

wytx

WKR
I used Rocky Mountain tanners for 2 moose hides, leather tanning. They were slow in getting them back but turned out nice. I hear bad things about them now so don't know for sure.
Petska fur also buys hides and makes gloves, check them out too.
North Texas Tannery does nice work.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've seen them used as canvases for paintings and I've seen where an artist shaved the hair into a picture. The second one was very cool, but makes a really large wall hanging.

Used to be you could trade an elk hide for a really good pair of moccasins from Pacific Hide and Fur in Great Falls, but I think those days are long gone. They do still give out decent leather gloves for deer and elk hides.

Then again, packing out an un-edible 30-40 pounds isn't appetizing to me. I've done it, but only on a gimme.

Jeremy
30-40lbs would be a small calf. A full grown cow or bull hide is way heavier than 30-40 lbs. I hate packing out capes, wouldn't even consider a whole hide

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Sneaky, you are probably right. I haven't packed one out in 20 years, so I am only going from memory. They didn't seem that heavy, then, but I was also 20 and lots of things don't seem the same now.

Jeremy

tanned hide last year myself without hair • took about 20 his to do. Not easy, but -fun the first time.