Smoke and Elk (Not like BBQ Elk)

Texas89

FNG
Making the trek of a measly 1,700 miles to visit my buddy in MT and take a swing at an Elk or Muley in a few weeks. He will be taking me to a few spots he's scouted and what not and a few spots we have hit in the past, but my big reservation is that he's a pretty heavy cig smoker (like has to smoke almost every hour). How does that correlate to hunting? Hopefully I'm just being paranoid. But I know elk have an insanely good sense of smell, so I was wondering if any of y'all had any insight into this. Considering this will be my second elk/muley trip I still consider myself a noob, so thanks in advance to any help y'all can provide.

FYI being a Texan, if I do get lucky and bag an elk I will be most definitely smoking some part of that bovine.

Jon Boy

WKR
One of the biggest elk slayers I know brings three things with him when he hunts. An open sighted 30/06, a lighter and pack of marb reds. And smokes damn near the whole pack when hes out. Used to drive me crazy when I would hunt with him. Play the wind and you should be fine, how ever the wind isn't always favorable in the mtns and the smell of cig smoke can carry a long ways.
The biggest limiting factor is going to be lung capacity.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It will correlate poorly to hunting. He will not have the lungs to hunt hard.
Also seems like the guys I know that smoke cigerettes don't really like to get far from the truck and hunt lazy. They kills stuff every once in a while...but not consistent.

So you will be hunting easy spots and not have a ton of help packing out an animal. I don't think you will need to worry about the scent of the cigarette smoke...so many fires out there. But someone that smokes always has a windicator in their hand...so you can always be down wind? Sorry trying to look at the bright side.

njdoxie

WKR
One of the biggest elk slayers I know brings three things with him when he hunts. An open sighted 30/06, a lighter and pack of marb reds. And smokes damn near the whole pack when hes out.

That's just not fair, I workout year around to be in the best possible shape, god help me if I smoked and didn't work out....and this guy could probably walk me into the ground.

Jon Boy

WKR
That's just not fair, I workout year around to be in the best possible shape, god help me if I smoked and didn't work out....and this guy could probably walk me into the ground.
His years are numbered I'm sure. I havent hunted with him for a number of years now. Hes 55 and looks 70. He just slowly hunts thick timber and is wildly successful.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Not sure how it affects the elk, but I sure hate smelling it when I'm out hunting......or anywhere else for that matter. I was .30 miles from my truck one year hiking out via GPS and started smelling cigarette smoke. When I got to the trailhead there was a guy standing next to his truck smoking. If I can smell it at 1/3 mile, the elk should be able to smell it from a lot further than that.

KHNC

WKR
Not sure how it affects the elk, but I sure hate smelling it when I'm out hunting......or anywhere else for that matter. I was .30 miles from my truck one year hiking out via GPS and started smelling cigarette smoke. When I got to the trailhead there was a guy standing next to his truck smoking. If I can smell it at 1/3 mile, the elk should be able to smell it from a lot further than that.

But you can smell a fat girl fart from 1/2 mile. Not really a fair comparison to the normal man! ;)