Bob Marshall Early Rifle Elk

slowelk

WKR
I'm in the information gathering phase of planning a late September rifle elk hunt in the Bob, and would like to tap into Rokslide's knowledge. I am planning on using a horse packer to get in and out, but from there it is DIY. I will have a tipi and a stove and at least one or two partners. That's about all that's certain for now. I'm not sure where I'd like to enter from - either Hungry Horse or near Ovando, so suggestions there would be helpful.

Things I'd like recommendations/tips on:
- Generally what to expect - elk density, bear density, people density, weather
- A good horse packer, and reasonable price to pay
- Elk behavior - vocal?
- Lessons learned

I realize this is pretty vague, but at this point I don't know much. Anything is appreciated!

sneaky

"DADDY"
You left out the biggest thing you need to consider in The Bob. Wolves. Talked to some guys who backpacked in about 8 miles this September and they had wolves on every ridge near them, and the valleys. The straw that broke the camel's back was when a huge grizz strolled up to their camp. Their one friend is terrified of bears and that was that. They said the wolves were howling daylight and dark. They saw a couple of pretty good bulls, but they weren't real vocal, obviously.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We were in Sept 14-23 this year. Didn’t see/hear any wolves or grizz but that’s probably random and lucky. I’ve heard there are a lot of them around. Saw some month or more old grizzly sign but nothing fresh.

- elk density is low. We went in more for the experience and didn’t plan on seeing a bunch of them. Expectations were met. We saw one bull and from what the outfitters and their guests that we ran into said that was consistent with what they had seen. We ran into three or four groups coming out and at the TH; all but one 5x5 were empty. I’m sure you know from the research you’ve done that if you are looking to see the most elk possible you wouldn’t be heading into the Bob. The only people we saw were at the trailhead and on the main trail. Density is low. I would recommend calling outfitters out of the TH you are getting into or asking the packers you use (call now, the limited number going into any TH get booked up fast) to give you an idea of where the outfitters using that TH are camped. Some of them have quite a few guests in at a time (especially during opening week) so if you ended up close to their main camps I can imagine there being some congestion and hurt feelings. Weather is of course always variable but we had good conditions. High 20s low 30s at night and mid 50s to 60s high during the day.

- PM me the TH you decide to use and I’ll can give you the names of some packers to reach out to if they are TH I did research on.

- We heard three different bulges so not dead entirely but not exactly violating local noise ordinances either. I’m not sure that is an indication of how vocal they are in there. It’s probably more about numbers but maybe they were just quite that week.

- Lessons learned: I heard it from everyone that has hunted in there, but it is rough country. Animal populations are low. It’s a long way in and once you are in it can be a lot of work to move locations if you are getting dropped off and will not have pack stock with you. The success rate is somewhere hovering around 10% and that includes all of the outfitted hunters which i suspect encompasses the vast number of all hunters. But, if you are looking for a real backcountry experience unmolested by droves of other hunters it may well be what you are looking for. However, if you are relying on this elk to feed the family next year, you may want to reconsider. I had a great time and will go again some day but it just depends on what you are looking for.

The Bob has to be one of the most overrated hunting destinations ever. Neat experience, but crappy hunting.

The Bob and Frank Church are both like that. Very rugged with low densities. Much more popular with nonresidents than residents. Nonresidents think wilderness means more animals but that's not the case due to uncontrolled predators in backcountry areas. The people who do well are usually with outfitters and/or horses. The Frank has 7 outfitters in one unit.

Wyoming and other states have good wilderness hunting so that perpetuates the wilderness idea.

JohnnyR

FNG
Most has been said already, but I checked with a friend who currently works as an LEO back in there. This is what he said.
“Schafer isn’t as good as it used to be. There is elk around there to be had. It isn’t predictable where you might find some though. Some years you can find them in the bottoms, other times they are higher. Good luck. It’s pretty in there and fun hunting. “

tdhanses

WKR
Last time I was in the bob was probably 20+ years ago, place has changed from what I’ve heard and not for the good. It’ll be an adventure but I wouldn’t spend the money on a NR tag to hunt it.

nnnn16

Lil-Rokslider
Backpacking into the Bob for an elk/muley/wolf hunt the last week of October 2019. I'm the guy that really is going for the experience. However, it would be fantastic to come home with a trophy. Does anybody have anything positive to say about my chances at a decent mule deer?

JohnnyR

FNG
Backpacking into the Bob for an elk/muley/wolf hunt the last week of October 2019. I'm the guy that really is going for the experience. However, it would be fantastic to come home with a trophy. Does anybody have anything positive to say about my chances at a decent mule deer?

Coming home with any edible deer from a backpack hunt in the Bob would be a success in my book, never mind the "trophy."

Have you hunted there or in remote steeps w/ griz before? I ask because it's nice to go first time with someone who knows the area, knows the challenges, has a good mindset and realistic expectations.

Heading in there with an attitude of exploration and little expectation of a trophy would be a good approach. Sounds like that's what you have.

You didn't ask about environmental risks, but having bear awareness in the Bob is a necessity if you want to avoid unwanted encounters with them.
https://www.greatfallstribune.com/s...ers-avoiding-tragedies-bear-country/87068428/

Even if you are experienced with bears, it doesn't hurt to read Stephen Herrero's latest edition of his book on bears. Many USFW and F&G biologists point to it as the definitive text on living/camping/hunting/hiking, etc. around bears.

https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Attacks...finements=p_27:Stephen+Herrero&s=books&sr=1-1

Last edited:

nnnn16

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t been in the Bob but I’m going w a buddy that’s been twice. We’re guys that enjoy the challenge and we understand the extremes of this hunt. Being a meat hunter in Texas, my freezer will already be full. We will be on and around scapegoat so it will need to be a pretty special animal for us to pack it out so far. That being said, should the opportunity arise within a couple miles of the truck, I wouldn’t pass. The grizzlies are definitely on my mind. I talked to a biologist up there and he claimed that the wolves are keeping the griz spread thinner than in the recent past. That doesn’t make me feel much better though. Any advise for a first timer?

JohnnyR

FNG
My suggestion would be for you to call the MT Fish & Wildlife officers for R1 and talk with them about your plans. If they're feeling charitable and have time, they may help you with some planning. It's the slow time of year, so now would be a good time to do it.

http://fwp.mt.gov/regions/r1/direct...=1&fwpDivision=ANY&sortBy=title&sortOrder=ASC

I spend time around brown + black bears and have found Herrero's book to be highly informative and useful. A very senior USFW pilot biologist friend of mine, recently retired, also recommends learning the material found therein as a basis for work & travel in griz country.

Last edited:

nnnn16

Lil-Rokslider
I read the article and the book should arrive wednesday. Thank you for the info and links. Im worried reading the book will make it hard to sleep while im there.
From the research we've done it looks like the scapegoat area should be fairly free of other hunters and private boundaries to be aware of. Does anybody know it to be different?

Will_m

WKR
I'm sure its probably been mentioned ad nauseam, but you know, bears and wolves.

We spent one week hiking in the Bob last July. Heard wolves at night but did not see any Bears. Saw about 100 elk in the Sun River Game Preserve with a few nice wolves. Beautiful country but you could probably find easier places to elk hunt with a Montana general tag. Good luck!

nnnn16

Lil-Rokslider
That would be pretty cool. We talked about it but decided this would much cheaper.

DaveC

WKR
Things I'd like recommendations/tips on:
- Generally what to expect - elk density, bear density, people density, weather
- A good horse packer, and reasonable price to pay
- Elk behavior - vocal?
- Lessons learned

I realize this is pretty vague, but at this point I don't know much. Anything is appreciated!

Before you take any naysayers seriously I'd inquire when/if they've done any hunting the Bob. Lots of myth floating around on this subject.

I've hunted a bunch in the Bob, and backpack, skied and packrafted in it even more. I've packed out a few deer and a 6x6 bull, all solo and on foot. In the last half of September weather is generally not too bad, but there seems to usually be one good wet storm. If you're coming from out of state on a rigid schedule you could have poor visibility make for tough going. Certainly be prepared for snow. Elk density is like many areas where ag and human habitation doesn't shape elk movement. There aren't a ton, but they are out there and tend to stay in the elky places. I've found more down low early than you'd at first expect, but also plenty in steep, dark mid elevation side slopes. There lots of springs in unlikely places, so trying to isolate on water and food sources isn't easily done. I've heard bugling well into October, but its never been a reliable thing.

My wolf sightings have been few and far between, but bears of both types are relatively common. Don't take food or meat storage lightly, and if you get something down get it processed and moved ASAP. I'm hard pressed to think of a September trip where I spent a lot of glassing time up high and didn't see at least one Griz.

njdoxie

WKR
[QUOTE="sneaky, post: 1043055,

Talked to some guys who backpacked in about 8 miles this September and they had wolves on every ridge near them, and the valleys. The straw that broke the camel's back was when a huge grizz strolled up to their camp. Their one friend is terrified of bears and that was that.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Picturing that scene with a griz strolling into camp gave me a good laugh, thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Bob and Frank Church are both like that. Very rugged with low densities. Much more popular with nonresidents than residents. Nonresidents think wilderness means more animals but that's not the case due to uncontrolled predators in backcountry areas. The people who do well are usually with outfitters and/or horses. The Frank has 7 outfitters in one unit.

Wyoming and other states have good wilderness hunting so that perpetuates the wilderness idea.
You left the Selway out. It probably sucks most of all.