Average pack weight

Chopit

FNG
For day hunting out of a main camp how much does your pack weight. I think I got too much snivel gear. 35 lbs pack

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes sir, you have near double for an all day pack hunt & back to camp in the eve. I'm near 17# & have had this weight for many years, I use an Exo 3500.

ElkNut/Paul

Randle

WKR
I am at around 18, Depending on food some days I have a little heavier food.

muddydogs

WKR
I carry 50 litters of water, snacks and 2 pounds worth of pistol and I'm at 23 pounds or about 25 pounds if I have rain gear. My pack weights close to 6 pounds itself so 17 pounds of gear and food. This is just my pack weight, my bino harness weights another 3 pounds.

I feel I have everything I need for a day hunt including some major trama first aid supply's, clean out rifle barrel kit, kill kit with 100 feet of cord and 5x7 sil tarp, butt pad, extra phone / inreach power, fire kit and extra gloves / hat.

I was just going through my list to see if I could knock some more weight out of the pack, trying to decide if the 3 ounces for my compass is worth it. I have an inReach and phone GPS set up so my compass hasn't been used but the old Forester in me has a hard time not having a compass around.

Same with a fixed blade knife, I don't use the fixed blade anymore as the Razor Lite takes care of all my needs but I just can't seem to leave the fixed blade at home. I did switch to a Mora fixed blade and even chopped down the sheath for a nice 4 ounce package but then again I could cut 4 ounces off my back.

All total I'm looking at cutting 2 pounds off my pack weight if I can convince myself to drop a few items which would help when I decide I need to pack the 4 pound spotter.

Jbehredt

WKR
I carry 50 litters of water, snacks and 2 pounds worth of pistol and I'm at 23 pounds or about 25 pounds if I have rain gear. My pack weights close to 6 pounds itself so 17 pounds of gear and food. This is just my pack weight, my bino harness weights another 3 pounds.

I feel I have everything I need for a day hunt including some major trama first aid supply's, clean out rifle barrel kit, kill kit with 100 feet of cord and 5x7 sil tarp, butt pad, extra phone / inreach power, fire kit and extra gloves / hat.

I was just going through my list to see if I could knock some more weight out of the pack, trying to decide if the 3 ounces for my compass is worth it. I have an inReach and phone GPS set up so my compass hasn't been used but the old Forester in me has a hard time not having a compass around.

Same with a fixed blade knife, I don't use the fixed blade anymore as the Razor Lite takes care of all my needs but I just can't seem to leave the fixed blade at home. I did switch to a Mora fixed blade and even chopped down the sheath for a nice 4 ounce package but then again I could cut 4 ounces off my back.

All total I'm looking at cutting 2 pounds off my pack weight if I can convince myself to drop a few items which would help when I decide I need to pack the 4 pound spotter.

That’s like 105lbs of water alone, assuming a weightless vessel ;)

I used a fairly heavy pack this year - the Eberlestock Dragonfly - but I was please to find how light it carried.

My day hunts were about 24-25# on average. That's food, snacks, water (I don't drink much water though), kill kit, emergency supplies (space blanket, tarp, rain gear, first aid, etc), flashlights, GPS, lazer rangefinder, cell phone, and enough clothes to handle the teens we had for 1st rifle, whether hiking or sitting.

When I put my Tikka rifle in my pack scabbard, it was about 32# but my hands were free. That was a really nice option to have.

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
I'm around 40-45 pounds with pack, food, clothes, rain gear, kill kit, first aid, water purification, rifle/bow, binos, tripod and 85 mm spotting scope. Kinda heavy but worth it for decent food and live by my optics.

ElkNut1

WKR
I should clarify that I carry my .357 on my hip not in my pack for quick access. This does not include my bow, I generally carry that. Since that photo I've added my rain jacket, (less than 1-lb) it makes a great windbreaker if needed! There's 70-oz of water in that bladder which is part of the 17# -- I have everything I need there to go all day & break down an elk.

ElKNut/Paul

Attachments

• DSCN2862.jpg
    DSCN2862.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 175

muddydogs

WKR
That’s like 105lbs of water alone, assuming a weightless vessel ;)

I know, back in the day when I was young I used to work in the woods for 12 to 15 hours and maybe drink a 16 ounce soda bottle full of water even working in AZ temps, something changed about 5 years ago and now I flat go through the water like a crazy man. Drives me crazy caring that much water but whats a guy to do. Even pounding the water at night and first thing in the morning doesn't help. My water intake has gotten so bad that I took to caring a Sawyer water filter in case the day runs long.

i understand the bow guys with pistols depending on where they are- but all the rifle guys with a pistol too- what? I’d look at the second / alternate firearm as a frat place to cut weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I know, back in the day when I was young I used to work in the woods for 12 to 15 hours and maybe drink a 16 ounce soda bottle full of water even working in AZ temps, something changed about 5 years ago and now I flat go through the water like a crazy man. Drives me crazy caring that much water but whats a guy to do. Even pounding the water at night and first thing in the morning doesn't help. My water intake has gotten so bad that I took to caring a Sawyer water filter in case the day runs long.
Saltstick electrolyte pills. Plain water runs right through you. You're losing electrolytes in a bad way sounds like.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider

Have you discussed this with your doctor. There are some medical conditions that may cause this. I think gritty talked about this in one of his podcasts about what has happened in the last 10-15 years. Now we are always thirsty. Drinking water didnt use to be a big deal. Now everyone including myself carries water with them and drinks all day long whether you are being active or not. As a kid hunting with my dad we typically took one 16-20oz soda of some sort and that was enough for a full day of hunting first light to dark and typically putting in pretty good miles with significant climbing. Cant imagine doing that anymore and I am one that can go long periods at heavy output with little water.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think it has to do with GMOs and processed foods with all the additives.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Steelhead

FNG
i understand the bow guys with pistols depending on where they are- but all the rifle guys with a pistol too- what? I’d look at the second / alternate firearm as a frat place to cut weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i rifle hunt and my sidearm is primarily at hand for the packout. when hunting my rifle is usually at ready-carry-ish, but it is strapped in during the packout. when a second trip is needed i leave the rifle at camp, sidearm only. peace of mind for me, especially when packing in the dark. then again there are several things i carry because i "like to" or habbit, or security blanket etc, that i could certainly look at shedding!

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is extremely dependent on the species and time of year. Early season with tripod, spotting scope, pack and rifle/bow that is easily 15 - 20 pounds for everyone. For late season, you may not need the tripod and spotter, but you will probably have extra layers at hand.

When you talk about pack weight, that varies as you can see, some people carry tho sir that in their hand or on the hip.

You would get a better overall picture with know species, time of year and gross weight. Gross weight being everything other than your person.

i rifle hunt and my sidearm is primarily at hand for the packout. when hunting my rifle is usually at ready-carry-ish, but it is strapped in during the packout. when a second trip is needed i leave the rifle at camp, sidearm only. peace of mind for me, especially when packing in the dark. then again there are several things i carry because i "like to" or habbit, or security blanket etc, that i could certainly look at shedding!

I often grab the 45 for subsequent pack outs. But I don’t often have both it and the rifle with me. I guess my basic formula is rifle until tag is punched and then for the first load out- if I have a bear tag that I want to punch or other target of opportunity tag left to fill I might / probably will tote the 7 1/4 pound rifle for subsequent loads. If however I’m strictly in DLP mode- I’m just bringing the 45 water from then on.

At any rate I don’t know what my pack weighs- it’s almost irrelevant I figure. What’s in there is what I need to be successful. I can’t omit anything off the basic packing list and still be prepared to do the work, so it’s carry what I need or stay home. GPS, 3.o litre water, 1-1.5lb food, static layer, work/contact gloves, synthetic or wool glove liners, neck gaiter, tarp, trekking poles, killkit with bags knife stone, 5 bullets, binos, headlamp, taclight, camera or phone, magnesium fire starter, lighter, shittickets, water pills. Quiksticks, 550 cord, paper map, lensatix compass, protractor, 2 elk ivories. The rifle with 4 in it and 1 in my shirt pocket with the ear plugs.

That’s a baseline too which I will add rain jacket and woobie to as well as glass pad, glass, tripod, etc situationally. And Whatever it weighs I best be able to carry another 80lbs with it I figure- in order to be effective as an elk hunter. So far so good.

Last edited:
I'm at about 30# in just the pack. Including 3L water and 1.5# food for the day.

Still looking at stuff to cut down as I think 20 would be ideal. This isn't including my bino harness/bow; but is including a DSLR camera (looking to upgrade that soon to a nice point/shoot). Honeslty I could probably leave it behind as I haven't been successful as of late, but there is always the "what-if" and I would like to take some good photos if/when that happens.

muddydogs

WKR
This is extremely dependent on the species and time of year. Early season with tripod, spotting scope, pack and rifle/bow that is easily 15 - 20 pounds for everyone. For late season, you may not need the tripod and spotter, but you will probably have extra layers at hand.

When you talk about pack weight, that varies as you can see, some people carry tho sir that in their hand or on the hip.

You would get a better overall picture with know species, time of year and gross weight. Gross weight being everything other than your person.

It doesn't really matter to me and all I worry about is my pack weight and not getting carried away with stuff. I'm going to carry my binos, rifle, wallet, glasses and I'm going to be wearing pants just like any other day so that weight is a given and all one can do there is purchase the lightest gear they want or can afford. Species has very little to do with what I carry, I might switch out the cow call for a javelina call when hunting javelina but other then that if I carry it for an elk hunt it gets carried for a javelina hunt.

What concerns me is the weight on my back that is just there for safety and convenience, this is the gear that can add weight fast and wear on a guy.

Take the first aid kit for example. We tend to think we need to carry a bunch of first aid supply's and most purchase some first aid kit that weights a couple pounds. If you think about these cheap first aid kits and what they contain then think about what where doing in the woods you might come to the conclusion your packing at least a pound of stuff you'll probably never use and not the things you might really need in the event of a major trauma blood loss event. My first aid kit is down to 14 ounces and set up to cover a major blood loss event or at least what my training and knowledge will be able to handle.

The kill kit is another weight adding place and while I like a nice knife as much as anyone a replaceable blade knife and a few extra blades is a lot lighter then about any other knife, add in the back up knife and or sharpener and the replaceable blade knife is a lot less weight. Learning how to take an animal apart with a knife saves the weight of a saw, spending a few extra bucks on some light weight cordage and getting rid of the para cord saves a bunch of weight.

cnelk

WKR
Big pack = more weight
Seems like the bigger the pack people tend to feel the need to fill it up.

17-18lbs in my Icon Pro 1850 every day.