Looking for drop camp help/recommendations

abilliott

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to plan a first ever trip up to Colorado for the 2019 archery season. I am looking at
the south, to south west areas that have OTC tags (70,711,71-73,75,751,77,78,771, or the
83,85,851,140) Any advice or recommendations on those units and/or drop camps outfitters
that serve those units would be greatly appreciated. I've done searches and found some but
really looking for first hand advise and recommendations from people who have actually used
them.

Thanks in advance

md126

WKR
I would recommend if you’re doing an OTC unit you just go DIY. Much more flexible and cost effective. Camp at the veh if necessary and have at it! Good luck

I hear way more bad experiences about drop camps than guided hunts or DIY. Drop camps are low priority for outfitters and many don't offer them at all.

Pghhunter

FNG
I used a drop camp this past rifle season. My initial reaction Is to save the $2000 and DIY. Or save a little more and go fully guided.

My buddies and I chose to go with a drop camp as it was our first western big game hunt. We are whitetail hunters from the east coast and weren’t sure what to expect. The outfitter we used was great and the ride in and experience Was amazing. It was great to get past the hunters who hunt close to the road. We didn’t see another hunter in 10 days of hunting. Also we only saw 3 elk in 8 days of hunting. Being in a drop camp limited us to an area that just didn’t have Elk. The three we did see were in the basin below us about .75 miles away and 2000 feet below us. We camped at 10900 feet in a spot with 20”+ of snow so it was damn near impossible to walk and explore. If we weren’t stuck but our camp I would have camped lower. I believe the snow pushed elk down.

If I could do it again I would get in the best shape I could and truck camp until I found the sign. Then at that point I’d camp back in a few miles. My thoughts were the elk would be way back in the wilderness. Wrong I saw elk and mule deer on ridges about a mile or so off the road. I learned a lot this year. Mostly about myself and what I can handle mentally. It was grueling but so much fun. I can’t wait to go back in September next year to try archery season out. And it will be DIY.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
My son and I did a drop camp in SW Colorado this year during the 1st Rifle hunt. The outfitter was great and area was good. Only issue was the elk were staying in the dark timber and going after them in the dark timber was hard work. We camped at 10,000' and had about a foot of snow, which mostly melted on the south facing slopes until the last two days when we got more snow. We were finding fresh bedding areas, and were within 60 yards of cows twice, but it was so thick, we could only hear them. Only saw two hunters on the 2nd day who climbed up from the road below through snow and downed timber. Heck of a hike coming up that slope.

I did get to watch what I would consider a really nice Muley buck come up out of an aspen grove and feed up the adjacent slope 200 yards away. If only there was a deer season during 1st rifle.

OP
A

abilliott

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone, this is the type of info I was wanting. I am definitely not against going DIY I just thought
that the first year might be helpful gear wise by having someone else's stuff available and setup so to speak.

I would be new to the entire idea of public land hunting and have no idea of what to expect, parking and leaving
vehicles would be an unknown for us, again kinda why i thought maybe a drop camp in order to get familiar with
even the little stuff.

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
I had a DIY hunt this year in New Mexico and had 2 setups, one for a "base camp" and one for a spike camp if it was called for. Base camp was a Marmot 8 person tent with a mr buddy heater to warm up in the morning and at night before going to bed. I made sure my sleeping system would keep me comfortable in below freezing conditions, have enough water, fuel for my truck and lantern and enough food for a couple meals a day. IF I needed to overnight I had equipment available. What I'm getting at is GO, and do it yourself. Don't be surprised that the animals are not ALL in the backcountry. Get out there as early as possible before the hunt starts, like at least a week if you can find the time. The 1500.00 (at the minimum) you would spend for a drop camp would be better applied to some time off-- if you can.
My whole trip including fuel, food, ice and the tag cost me less than a drop camp, and I had a blast.

RWx95X4.jpg

DxGJKYi.jpg

wtHm5nL.jpg

Wanted to say my whole setup from tent, sleeping bag system, cot and heater cost less than 700.00 bought new, and I would bet that you probably have gear that will work outside of a true 4 season -20 degree living for a week hunt. Also, how comfortable do you need to be?

Last edited:

netman

WKR
I did the same as rgrx. Base camp with a spike set up. I camped at 10k+ and hunted up to 12k. Had a big 5x5 chase three cows past me on opening day. Shot a cow as I had a cow tag. I was 7 miles from the gate.
Seen no one except my buddy who pointed me to this area.
I also seen three humongous mule deer bucks hanging together but no tag.

OP
A

abilliott

Lil-Rokslider
What does the spike camp setup consist of, I know it has to be minimal. Do you pack it around with you on the hunt everyday just Incase you need it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
For me it was the basics. Of course it wasn't as cold as a late season hunt so I adjusted my gear accordingly. I had 3 nights out of 16 when the water in my canteens turned to slush.
I carried USMIL extreme cold weather top and bottom gortex, Fleece hoodie, extra socks, gloves, watch cap, polypro top and bottom, 3 quarts of water, 2 meals, sleeping bag and a tarp. I also carried 2 different ways to make a fire, titanium canteen cup, 2 extra CR123 batteries for my streamlight and a map and compass. Total weight was less than 30 lbs. all stuffed and cinched down in a mystery ranch metcalfe. I've spent lots of freezing cold days/nights in the field with less, so I know what I need to get by and not be too uncomfortable.

Last edited:

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
I used a drop camp this past rifle season. My initial reaction Is to save the $2000 and DIY. Or save a little more and go fully guided.

My buddies and I chose to go with a drop camp as it was our first western big game hunt. We are whitetail hunters from the east coast and weren’t sure what to expect. The outfitter we used was great and the ride in and experience Was amazing. It was great to get past the hunters who hunt close to the road. We didn’t see another hunter in 10 days of hunting. Also we only saw 3 elk in 8 days of hunting. Being in a drop camp limited us to an area that just didn’t have Elk.

If I could do it again I would get in the best shape I could and truck camp until I found the sign. Then at that point I’d camp back in a few miles. My thoughts were the elk would be way back in the wilderness. Wrong I saw elk and mule deer on ridges about a mile or so off the road. I learned a lot this year. Mostly about myself and what I can handle mentally. It was grueling but so much fun. I can’t wait to go back in September next year to try archery season out. And it will be DIY.

This is great information and pretty much sums up as to why to do it yourself.

OP
A

abilliott

Lil-Rokslider
If we are to "base camp" and prepare for a possible spike camp what type of packs should I be looking at using? I see the "meat hauler" type packs and obviously what they are used for....but do you spot and stalk each day with all your gear stuffed in the "meat hauler" pack?

Sturgeon

WKR
It is very popular to hunt with your meat hauler pack, that way when you get an animal down all you need is there and you don't have to make a trip back to the truck before taking out your first load. You'll find a lot of the higher end hunting packs aren't all that much heavier then a lightweight daypack and they ride very well. If you end up going DIY I would spend the money you saved from the drop camp on a good pack. We went DIY this year in an area we never had been before, and were able to get into elk half of our days hunting from the truck every day. 2 out of our group of 3 had only done one private land elk hunt before and the other had never hunted elk. There is so much information out there to learn in forums like this and listening to podcasts. I would just make sure you give yourself more time than you need.

OP
A

abilliott

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely looking to give ourselves plenty of time. There will be two of us so far only and we have already been discussing maybe up to 2 weeks of hunting...i guess that is another good reason to DIY. I had figured that I would spend the money on a good pack, good boots, good clothes and a good sleeping bag...other stuff will probably have to come in next seasons.

PROD49

FNG
We did our first Western Elk hunt this year. Total DIY OTC. Hiked 4mi back then hunted another 2mi from there saw several bulls. Shot a 5x6 and hired mules to pack out meat. I'm not gonna lie it was tough.
bec08650253e467b61c2e839c7f003ad.jpg
d7cda78f8f3af93b4793481f42d8b335.jpg
bbb7fc0f75df060a70571ecee68b7486.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
A

abilliott

Lil-Rokslider
First off, congrats on getting it done the first time around...from what I hear that doesn't happen too often but I sure hope I can pull off the same feat. So if I am understanding you correctly... you hiked in 4 miles and then made your camp... then you hiked around 2 miles from camp and made the kill. Did you get the entire elk back to the camp at 4 miles before the packers came and helped? Or did they pick it up from the kill site. Do you mind elaborating more on the area and what gear you ended up taking?

PROD49

FNG
First off, congrats on getting it done the first time around...from what I hear that doesn't happen too often but I sure hope I can pull off the same feat. So if I am understanding you correctly... you hiked in 4 miles and then made your camp... then you hiked around 2 miles from camp and made the kill. Did you get the entire elk back to the camp at 4 miles before the packers came and helped? Or did they pick it up from the kill site. Do you mind elaborating more on the area and what gear you ended up taking?
Sure. So we did hike 4mi back then made camp and another 2mi to hunt site. There were 3 of us so we decided to hunt together. We rented a cabin in town as a backup plan and had already picked out several locations. Our thought process was that Elk were being seen above 9k feet but when we scouted there were tons of hunters. We decides to hunt around 8'300 feet in hopes that elk would get pushed down and being remote would help which it did.
Opening morning we got to trail head at first light and hiked back and set up camp. About 3:30 we decided to divide up and cover a huge meadow. My buddy and I were back to back on a huge pine covering a large section and 3rd guy was across meadow covering another section. About 4:30 a small 5x5 and about 6 cows came out around 75 yards and busted me putting binos up. Knowing the wind was in our favor and being night 1 we decided to just stay. About 5:00 3 bulls came out and we shot the 2 largest ones. We quartered the meat and hung them up in tree and finally got back to camp around 11pm. The guy that didn't shoot went to trail head to see if we could hire horses and my buddy and I went to kill site and deboned meat and took to lower elevation. That took half the day and we grabbed my head and hide and started back to camp when we ran into friend and mule train.

Last edited:

PROD49

FNG
Equipment list: Sako 7mag, Vortex viper 10x42 bino and rangefinder, bog pod shooting sticks, Black diamond trekking poles, North Face 20 degree down bag, sleeping pad, 2 man backpack tent, jet boil stove, Platypus water filter, Sitka Gear mountain hauler pack, Kill Kit ( havalon knife, Gerber ax, black ovis elk bags), black diamond headlamp, rope, OnX maps on phone, 1 set of batteries, and battery charger for phone. Total pack weight with loaded gun was right at 49lbs.

d4a956eb733832f2dcbe697e472862ca.jpg

Last edited:

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
This thread was asking for recommendations, not asking for unsolicited advertisements from a business that is not a sponsor of the website either, feel free to Private message your outfitter business to the OP if you feel the need. Or contact @robby denning and/or @Ryan Avery to inquire about becoming a sponsor here!