Accessing Landlocked BLM / Public land by air with paramotor para-glider ??

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
And yes I can take off with gear, and yes I can carry myself along with plenty of extra weight, I even have a tandem setup where I can fly 2 grown men at once. Weight is not an issue.

Hmmmmm.......maybe I don't need llama's.

This year when I was driving out after my archery season I saw a paraglider above a river canyon heading down the canyon. I was doing 55-60 the entire way and that guy was still pulling away from me. What's the max speed on those things?

KHNC

WKR
Research is your friend.

You can land a helicopter on BLM if the heli service has a BLM permit.

Corner crossing is not illegal in Wyoming.

Thats good to know! i have an outfitter friend in Sheridan. He said they used to Helo in to BLM all the time until it became illegal. I guess he meant unit permits were required.

KHNC

WKR
It's a helo......you wouldn't have to land it, just hover long enough to get off or on, and unload/load. But a paraglider isn't a helo.

True, had not considered the helo insert option actually. I guess this is one way of getting around a permit.

I really like JPUGS way of thinking. What an innovative way to get around the large landlocked/landholding ranchers. This could catch on big time.

Wrench

WKR
I actually asked my local blm (spokane wa) about this 10 years ago. I was told that I would be liable for any disturbance of native plants. They generated a list that scared the crap out of me. I'd certainly consider asking the local game dept in writing so you'll have some recourse and they are likely to respond.

Ein

FNG
The FAA’s only altitude requirement in uncongested areas is that you fly high enough to safely execute an emergency landing and are 500ft from people and structures. That 500 ft can be horizontal. There’s a lot of places I can do that from 6 inches above the ground. Most states don’t have legal restrictions on where aircraft can land. Lastly, it is difficult for local law-enforcement to enforce ambiguous rules against aircraft. Federal government has tried to monopolize regulation of aircraft in a big way.

With a good head wind I'm sure your running speed isn't very critical as I'm sure lift is achieved rather easy. This may work for antelope where they weigh the same as a field mouse, but an elk? As someone above said, great idea on paper, but reality, elk, I don't see it happening. I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong but this is alot like hunting from a canoe for elk in the rockies. Just doesn't happen.

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
If this works and we see it in action, my wife's going to be pissed when she sees one of these in the garage...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Personally, I hope you try it and I hope it works. There is so much land locked public land around Colorado that it would really be a great way to get away from the crowds.

You may feel overcrowded with all of the Hot Air Balloon hunters in your spot. Seriously though, I support your idea if you can do it 100% legally, because once a few people do this successfully, the landowners will eventually get tired of air gliders buzzing over their ranches and may grant public easement across their Property. Also, If you get several days of high pressure and can't fly or have equipment problems will you have enough supplies to wait it out? Adjacent landowners may not be too accommodating if you come knocking on the door needing food or a ride back to your truck. Do you know anyone else with a glider that can come rescue you? I'm sure with determination and research you will figure it out. Good luck, it sounds really hard but good luck I'm rooting for you! It's only landlocked land to those of us without new ideas lol!

OP
J

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
Love hearing everyone's feedback, my neighbor was a parachute rigger in the navy and we have been working together sewing some things up. With a good head wind you can take off very very easily once the chute catches. Also to clarify, I have zero intentions on what many think of paragliding in shooting an elk and flying it out in one trip. It will take many trips to pack an elk out! It is all in the planning phase and when the time comes, yes I will document it here on rokslide. Best part is you can climb high, cut the motor, and just parachute down in silently. I know it sounds far fetched to some for elk but it can be done. When the time comes, mule deer will be the first test before trying for elk.

JohnnyR

FNG
I believe the Supreme Court ruling is that a landowner owns 500 feet of air above their property, so, theoretically, you would need to clear 500 feet in order to avoid trespassing.
I don't believe this is the exact law. I'm a commercial pilot and never saw this regulation as you've stated in terms of trespassing. However, there is a regulation that you are not to fly below 500' AGL (above ground level) over congested areas or gatherings of people for safety reasons unless landing, departing, maneuvering for ag application, etc. The FAA could cite a pilot for unsafe operation if lower.
A landowner "owns" air above their property that they could reasonably use, for instance if they had a 200' ham radio tower, they'd "own" that air to the point that someone else can't encroach upon it and prevent them from that reasonable usage.
National parks and designated wilderness areas require 2,000' AGL, and that AGL is above nearby land masses like a peak. Unless you're landing in Frank Church, etc. where there are designated wilderness strips.
If it were me, I'd check with the local rangers/LEO's and if it's prohibited, have them cite the actual reg.

- - - Updated - - -

Love hearing everyone's feedback, my neighbor was a parachute rigger in the navy and we have been working together sewing some things up. With a good head wind you can take off very very easily once the chute catches. Also to clarify, I have zero intentions on what many think of paragliding in shooting an elk and flying it out in one trip. It will take many trips to pack an elk out! It is all in the planning phase and when the time comes, yes I will document it here on rokslide. Best part is you can climb high, cut the motor, and just parachute down in silently. I know it sounds far fetched to some for elk but it can be done. When the time comes, mule deer will be the first test before trying for elk.
It doesn't sound far-fetched at all! As a former MIL jumper and a current commercial pilot, your enthusiasm is catching.
However, if you haven't flow in western mountains, as somebody else was writing, you may be in for some nasty surprises. I fly a heavy, 3,200 lbs. Skywagon out of strips in ID and MT, and often postpone flights after noon because of the winds. If it's over 15-20 kts at the peaks, you're in for a nasty ride down in the canyons. An ultralight could be suicidal in those conditions. Early morning right after sun-up would be my choice.

Check with each state's aviation groups and the soaring/glider groups for more intel.