Accessing Landlocked BLM / Public land by air with paramotor para-glider ??

Poser

WKR
I don't believe this is the exact law. I'm a commercial pilot and never saw this regulation as you've stated in terms of trespassing. However, there is a regulation that you are not to fly below 500' AGL (above ground level) over congested areas or gatherings of people for safety reasons unless landing, departing, maneuvering for ag application, etc. The FAA could cite a pilot for unsafe operation if lower.
A landowner "owns" air above their property that they could reasonably use, for instance if they had a 200' ham radio tower, they'd "own" that air to the point that someone else can't encroach upon it and prevent them from that reasonable usage.
National parks and designated wilderness areas require 2,000' AGL, and that AGL is above nearby land masses like a peak. Unless you're landing in Frank Church, etc. where there are designated wilderness strips.
If it were me, I'd check with the local rangers/LEO's and if it's prohibited, have them cite the actual reg.

It’s not a flight regulation, rather it was a court ruling on the matter establishing precedent of the law. United States vs. Causby: The United States Government claimed a public right to fly over Causby's farm, while Causby argued such low-altitude flights entitled the property owner to just compensation under the takings clause of the Fifth Amendment."

Ruling: 'a landowner's domain includes the lower altitude airspace, but that property does not extend "ad coelum" (indefinitely upward).”

I may have been mistaken about the 500 feet though I seem to recall that detail. Looking over the holding, the height appears to be more subject to the use of the land.

Research is your friend.

You can land a helicopter on BLM if the heli service has a BLM permit.

Corner crossing is not illegal in Wyoming.

I guess theyve never had charges stick if you want to playthe court system battle, if you have the time or money. Still bet youd get cited for tresspassing if the rancher was a jerk, which most in wyoming ive met have been pretty defensive of "their land"

wapitibob

WKR
Nobody I know has been able to find a deputy to cite for criminal trespass when actually crossing at a corner, and gps tracks to prove it. I know people that are trying.

If he flys in 1000 feet over the drop zone and cuts his engine and drops straight in, there is no way he is trespassing over the adjacent owners I would suspect.

Assuming it’s not a wilderness area that prohibits motors, I would say he’s golden.

Of course if you watch the paragliding around telluride, they don’t even use motors. Suspect you could get high enough to launch without power if you can get the foil to inflate and drift over the dickhead ranchers. I don’t know, but he could get 1/3 of a boned out elk in his ruck and still have enough leg power to get it up. Just guessing though.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Wapitibob, I guess that is one technique to try and establish some actual case law precedent. The reluctance to cite may be due to the way their arrest powers are spelled out. Some states require misdemeanors to occur in the officers presence for him to enforce it. In the event it happened without him there, another person would sign an affidavit, and the officer could then take enforcement action.

So you may have to get a landowner to try to sign charges. Which means it is then mostly up to him to make the charge stick. This is unlikely to be a battle you will see the state fight.

Love hearing everyone's feedback, my neighbor was a parachute rigger in the navy and we have been working together sewing some things up. With a good head wind you can take off very very easily once the chute catches. Also to clarify, I have zero intentions on what many think of paragliding in shooting an elk and flying it out in one trip. It will take many trips to pack an elk out! It is all in the planning phase and when the time comes, yes I will document it here on rokslide. Best part is you can climb high, cut the motor, and just parachute down in silently. I know it sounds far fetched to some for elk but it can be done. When the time comes, mule deer will be the first test before trying for elk.
I live in Pennsylvania and I’m very interested to talk with you. Is there a way I can get ahold of you?

When I lived in Alaska you couldn't hunt the first day you fly in because you could spot them from the air and that was a unfair disadvantage for the animals. As for the lower 48 I'm not really sure of the rules. But, I'll follow this threat for clarification. I know Newburg did it in MT. I'd say the rules vary by state.

DWinVA

WKR
No input on legalities out west but a guy that works for me does the back-pack style para motor. That style would be tough w/ hunting gear but a neighbor over the hill has the framed tricycle type and it will support the weight of 2 adults. The guy that works for me is very detailed and says all they do is governed by the FAA. Good luck.

God Bless.

You don't even need licenses to fly these things. I'm a pilot and have thought about getting one for fun, but this is a whole new idea. You could cruise around scouting all day, spend your night, and get on with it. You'd want to pack a minimalist camp! You could get an elk out in quarters, but it'd be tough! How do you get a running start with a 70lb quarter strapped to you? You might need one of the tricycle ones just to get a place to strap the meat if the fan is normally on your back... or you'd have to build a special bracket with a storage compartment. I think the takeoff and landing with meat would be the most brutal, with no wheels. These guys run for both and I've never run with a hindquarter on my back.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I'm so intrigued by this. They seem easy to fly and no special licensing/requirements to own and operate one. Really hope the OP resurrects to tell us how it went.

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
As a career flyer in the USN, the last place I’d want to be would be in an experimental aircraft, fully exposed to the elements and environment, high in the Rocky Mountains, by myself, and at the mercy of winds, weather and my own skill.

This has death and disaster plastered all over it.

BBob

WKR
This has death and disaster plastered all over it.
That’s for sure. Down here we’ve had a few do it and every one of them has quit after near death experiences or hard crashes with injuries. Paragliders are no match for a Saguaro cactus. Randy Ulmer crashed hard years ago over the AZ strip ending up with I believe two broken legs.

Last edited:

Woitey

FNG
There are still pieces of John Denver that were never recovered after he augered in on his paraglider. I'm fairly certain he wasn't carrying 60 pounds of hunting gear. As financially painful as it would be, I'd find a helo service and pay a professional to get me in and out.

gbflyer

WKR
There are still pieces of John Denver that were never recovered after he augered in on his paraglider. I'm fairly certain he wasn't carrying 60 pounds of hunting gear. As financially painful as it would be, I'd find a helo service and pay a professional to get me in and out.

Wasn’t a paraglider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk