Accessing Landlocked BLM / Public land by air with paramotor para-glider ??

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
So I have been wanting to hunt some western states in the lower 48, particularly some decent amount of landlocked BLM lands. I have a para-glider, not the kind with the 3 wheel cart, but the type where you strap the motor and propeller on you back and run and launch with the parachute. You need no runway just a small open park to takeoff and land. I have done some research and cant seem to find the right answers, has anyone ever heard of anyone using this type of method to access landlocked public land LEGALLY? I have reached out and made a few calls and no one seems to be able to give me a direct answer..The use of machine would only be to fly in, land, backpack hunt and then fly out...

Any insight or your opinions of this style of access would be greatly appreciated, I am not worried about spooking game to the next state because I could come in very high and cut the motor and just parachute down silently... Thanks in advance if anyone can give me there .02 or tell me im just nuts!

Hope everyone had a great season.

Can't imagine why the type of craft would matter. I read an article where guys did a helicopter drop. Randy Newberg has a video out where they flew a small plane into a landlocked Mt piece.

Funny, I was just thinking about this yesterday as a guy I work has one. Then last night I saw a news story about how you can buy a hover bike that can fly up to 16 ft high. Makes you wonder about the legality of flying over private land into public.

You can fly them with a passenger so you could do it in a couple trips. I think the guy I know with one said he can take 250lbs.

Can you fly and hunt the same day?

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
You can fly the with a passenger so you could do it an a couple trips. I think the guy I know with one said he can take 250lbs.

Can you fly and hunt the same day?

That is the question. Might have to hunt the next day after flying in.

Getting in is one thing, would you plan to only day hunt? flying in before dark and out after dark?
Staying over night to me makes things heavier (tent, sleep system,....)
Can you get 200+ lbs of meat out efficiency?
Then your at the mercy of he weather somewhat I would think.

As stated,.. if you can carry 250lbs that takes care of a lot of issues, then you may have a great idea.
Let us know if you do it.... I like the way you think :)

Btaylor

WKR
Would not a favorable ruling on that negate the corner crossing issue since in a true corner crossing the only space potentially entered is "air" space?

LaHunter

WKR
So I have been wanting to hunt some western states in the lower 48, particularly some decent amount of landlocked BLM lands. I have a para-glider, not the kind with the 3 wheel cart, but the type where you strap the motor and propeller on you back and run and launch with the parachute. You need no runway just a small open park to takeoff and land. I have done some research and cant seem to find the right answers, has anyone ever heard of anyone using this type of method to access landlocked public land LEGALLY? I have reached out and made a few calls and no one seems to be able to give me a direct answer..The use of machine would only be to fly in, land, backpack hunt and then fly out...

Any insight or your opinions of this style of access would be greatly appreciated, I am not worried about spooking game to the next state because I could come in very high and cut the motor and just parachute down silently... Thanks in advance if anyone can give me there .02 or tell me im just nuts!

Hope everyone had a great season.

Just curious, have you ever hunted out west?
I would like to watch you 'run' on your take off, with your gear, or maybe a hind quarter, in your pack.
This plan may sound pretty clever at home, but unless you are some type of elite special forces type guy, I doubt this will turn out good for you.
There are millions of acres that have easy access out west that offer good hunting, that do not require access by parachute / glider. I would recommend looking into these areas.

Not sure why you need to piss in the guys lemonade. Also not sure what hunting out west before has to do with it. It’s pretty easy to find a flat spot. With some practice with a loaded pack he would know if he can do it. What better way to get away from the crowd than to access land no one else can.

jmez

WKR
Corner jumping is not allowed I believe because there is some precedent on how far above ground you need to be. Jumping doesn't cut it. You can helicopter into these places so I'd think a para glider would be fine.

If you can't get a straight answer, call the states attorney in the region you wish to go and see what they say.

The other consideration would be safety. Flying in and around mountains is far different than flying in PA. You'd want to talk to some paragliders in the area prior to just taking off out west.

Poser

WKR
I believe the Supreme Court ruling is that a landowner owns 500 feet of air above their property, so, theoretically, you would need to clear 500 feet in order to avoid trespassing.

LaHunter

WKR
Not sure why you need to piss in the guys lemonade. Also not sure what hunting out west before has to do with it. It’s pretty easy to find a flat spot. With some practice with a loaded pack he would know if he can do it. What better way to get away from the crowd than to access land no one else can.

not pissing in the guys lemonade. If he has never been / hunted out west, google earth can give a false impression of the terrain and conditions. In the OP, he states that he 'runs' to take off. Doing that with significant wt could be a challenge. Landing in rough terrain with significant wind, which is common even in BLM land, could be life threatening.

KHNC

WKR
Not legal to land a helo on BLM in Wyoming. Only on private. thats the only state i know the rules on.

Dude i know a spot in wyoming if you could fly 20 feet youd be on some of the best mule deer hunring in the state

wapitibob

WKR
Research is your friend.

You can land a helicopter on BLM if the heli service has a BLM permit.

Corner crossing is not illegal in Wyoming.

OP
J

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
L HUNTER - Yes I have hunted out west. And yes I can take off with gear, and yes I can carry myself along with plenty of extra weight, I even have a tandem setup where I can fly 2 grown men at once. Weight is not an issue.