Elk hind quarters... what to do.

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
This probably belongs in the cooking section but posting it here for more eyes and input. I am fortunate my buddy has a walk in cooler and I am able to hang my elk for as long as I want. I just finished processing everything other then the hind quarters.

I am lookin for some input on some different ideas on what I should do with the different muscle groups. I have enough burger and my wife and I don't eat much in the way of roasts.

I was thinking of making jerky and maybe try a corned roast. I will keep the shanks whole as always.

Any suggestions on what you guys do, something out of the box.

Hope everyone is having a great season, stay safe!

Cheers

Bob92057

FNG
Try making hot dogs or summer sausage. Hundreds of recipes out there. Salami if you want s challenge. Research Umai salami

OP
R

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
Try making hot dogs or summer sausage. Hundreds of recipes out there. Salami if you want s challenge. Research Umai salami

good idea bob. Will look into it. I love challenging myself with new ways to cook/process game.

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
I usually freeze them as roasts, less surface area to freezer burn. Steaks, kebabs, fajitas, etc. I am not a fan of grinding those, just because. Jerky's always a possibility, but, I usually do that with goose or other stuff that I like less than elk/venison.

I also broke a gear in my grinder last night. (Guide Gear one, still had the receipt, spent $200 on it, but, I got 11 years out of it, but it had been making some awful noises, and having taken it apart looking for a bearing lacking lube but not really knowing wtf I was doing... Probably will buy a commercial one next...)

Whisky

WKR
Well if you don't want roasts or burger you're stuck grinding and processing most of it:
sausage, brats, summer sausage, jerky, sticks, hot dogs....lots of options

I did cut steaks from the sirloin tip this year. They are OK. The tri tip and eye round are good chunks of meat to keep whole and cook up medium rare. The bottom round would be perfect for slicing into jerky. The top round and top sirloin would give you good roasts to turn into pastrami/corned elk.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I process deer quarters into roasts and freeze. When it's time to use them, I normally cube them for stew or into strips for stir fry. With an elk, I would try making pastrami. I have made it with beef and it's not too hard. If I get another deer, I will be making bratwurst and Italian sausage.

jmez

WKR
I cut quite a few steaks off the hinds. Everything that is big enough to make a decent sized steak. I grind the rest for burger, not a big fan of wild game roasts. My entire elk goes into steaks and burger. I use deer for the different sausages.

wytx

WKR
Steaks and lots of them on a hind quarter. Save the trimming for stew and sausage meat.

We put a lot of non-steak roast on the slicer and make very thin slices to be later cooked up for cheese-steak sandwiches.

We call it chip. Oh and if you freeze the roast slightly first it will slice a lot easier. Don't freeze it solid, but almost.

MThuntr

WKR
I bought some Gyro spices that I'll be using. I love gyros so I'm excited about that. I'm a fan of leaving larger muscles whole and then when I'm bored I'll cut them into steaks, stew, cube steak, or whatever plus the keep better as a large piece.

You could cure the larger muscles and smoke as a ham

Bob92057

FNG
Just another thought for you: if you’re not sure what to do w the roasts, just freeze whole. Once you cut or grind you can never go back.

Could also explore the world of pressure canning. In my opinion it’s a dying art but also a great way to store a bunch of your meat a room temperature so if you loose a freezer it’s not as devastating. I canned 2 cases of spaghetti sauce with elk burger and will be doing some sloppy joe and roast meat this winter. Great way to add some variety to your game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Could also explore the world of pressure canning. In my opinion it’s a dying art but also a great way to store a bunch of your meat a room temperature so if you loose a freezer it’s not as devastating. I canned 2 cases of spaghetti sauce with elk burger and will be doing some sloppy joe and roast meat this winter. Great way to add some variety to your game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will second the canning recommendation. I will can some venison each year. The canning process brings out some great flavors and makes for easy meals latter on.

Oregon

WKR
If you’re gonna freeze, just freeze as 2# roasts.
As mentioned by a few above it’s the best way due to freezer burn and as you thaw then you can choose what you want.
Thaw, cut, pound, you have cube steaks.
Slice thick, steaks.
Etc etc

Jon Boy

WKR
This is what I do, so much easier and less time consuming. When I pull one out of the freezer I can literally do what ever I want with it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I make steak and stew meat from my wild game. I save the smaller scraps until I have time and enough meat to justify the effort of grinding.

chindits

WKR
I’ve never been a big roast fan and I don’t get freezer burn the way I package meat. I love the rear quarters for all the steaks that come off the big muscle groups. Lots of stew meat as the muscle tapers down and burger or sausage meat from the scraps. The silver fascia gets packaged too in week size portions for dog broth.