Archery OTC

mkelley12

FNG
Looking to plan an archery elk hunt for next year with a few friends. We have done colorado rifle a few times and are thinking about a new state. Any suggestions on a good OTC state for archery, i have looked at gohunt.com but usually a few suggestions from people on here can help a lot on narrowing it down.

Just looking for a state that has a good elk population, and a good amount of OTC units.

Any suggestions would help a lot.
Thanks

slick

WKR
You have 5 states OTC and rough elk populations of each.

Idaho- 110,000
Colorado-280,000
Utah- 80,000
Oregon-75,000 Rockies and 60,000 Rosie’s
Washington- ???

MT and WY aren’t OTC but more than likely get an elk tag in MT, and two years worth of preference in WY.

Why not hunt the same area as CO just during archery? Or a bordering unit? You already have knowledge of the area.

OP
M

mkelley12

FNG
We thought about same unit. One of the guys is not a big fan since we have not seen much. Been there twice now for first rifle but also hit shitty weather this year. We may hit northern Colorado for archery. We starting putting in for point in WY so that will happen in the near future.

slick

WKR
Idaho’s archery season is the month of September (generalizing)
Oregon’s is Aug23-Sept23 can chase Rosie’s or Rockie’s on a general tag. Many places that are draw permits for rifle bull are OTC archery bull.
Wyoming’s is the month of September (generalizing) but again not OTC.

I’d say scrap UT/WA -personally I do and you’re scrapping CO.

I would strongly suggest MT and just putting in for a NR elk tag, and not the Big Game combo. You’re going to draw either 9/10. You have 6 week long season. Allowing you to hunt other states archery seasons also. Ample public land nearly anywhere you throw a dart at in the state. You want mountains, plains, breaks, you name it.

Other than that. Just pick a state and go. They all have good elk hunting, they all have trophy potential. Go to the states websites and look at the harvest report, if you see that there were 10,000 hunters in a unit; maybe avoid that one.