AVOID Boulder Basin Outfitters in Wyoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite7

FNG
Let us know how it turns out. I disagree with some posting on this forum. Sounds to me like antelope was far down the list. The trespass fed not included note would have been a red flag to me. That tells me he doesn’t have a permanent lease lined up yearly

Btaylor

WKR
Let us know how it turns out. I disagree with some posting on this forum. Sounds to me like antelope was far down the list. The trespass fed not included note would have been a red flag to me. That tells me he doesn’t have a permanent lease lined up yearly

I would take it to mean the trespass fee could vary depending on the property thus no way to bake it into the cake.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
No disclosure of all associated fees no thank you. The client commits but the outfitter says we'll wait and see what the cost ends up being after everyone books for the season?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

mntnguide

WKR
Here is the response from the outfitter to the OPs claims.. and like I have pointed out, the trespass fees is clearly stated on the website. Basically all outfitters who use private lands for antelope have to pay trespass, so this is not uncommon for it to be required upon deciding WHICH rancher they would hunt with. The truth might lie in the middle, but i don't find anyway they were scammed if they can't read a simple obvious statement that is in large letters on the website. This is off Google reviews for those who care

"We recently were scammed by Carl Sauerwein at Boulder Basin Outfitters. My party of 3 paid him in full, months before we arrived. He was supposed to set us up with a one day private land antelope hunt. We drove 2300 miles to his place. Once there he wanted another $900.00 for a "trespass fee" in addition to the $1500.00 we had already sent him. He had made no mention of a trespass fee in the 10 months we had been communicating. We actually ended up hunting with another outfitter and paying them. We also paid for a 4 day cow elk hunt on horses. The promise from Sauerwein was that if the elk were not in the lower elevations accessible with day trips from his ranch, he would have us ride into his remote tent camp and stay there. He made this promise again after we arrived. However,at the same time he had ordered our two guides to NOT take us into the upper camp. One the first day of the hunt it was very obvious there were no elk in the lower elevations. Sauerwein had taken a high paying bull elk hunter into the tent camp. That night at the ranch, Sauerwein's girlfriend advised she had been communicating with him. He had stated they had seen over 30 cow elk. The next night they reported they had seen more cows and had passed on a 7X7 bull because it would not make the record book. Our days consisted of riding a couple hours in the morning, sitting around a fire all day, and then riding out. About all we saw were trucks, people and ATVs. We were never allowed to go to the remote (7 miles in) camp as promised.

Response from the ownera month ago

Dan,

While we always appreciate feedback from our customers we have to come right out and say in no way, shape or form were you “scammed” in any way. As agreed upon, we set you up with an Antelope Hunt on private land. As clearly stated on our website, included in the details of the Antelope Hunt is the statement “Trespass fees not included”. Included with that statement is an estimate of the cost of the trespass fee which, ranges from $350.00 - $700.00, depending on the ranch. The first ranch we visited required a $900.00 fee, while a bit high we agreed to split that fee with you as a courtesy. Your hunting party declined that fee and then proceeded to another ranch, with the same outfitter.

Upon harvesting your 3 Antelope, the hunt manager (aside from your guide) helped field dress all three Antelope, our Outfitter suggested that you tip the hunt manager for fielding dressing your Antelope. The tip you paid to the hunt manager is the “other outfitter” you claimed you paid.

With regards to the 4 day Elk Hunt, the hunting guides were directed to take you to where the Elk were. The reason we advised our outfitter to do so was due to the fact that there was a limited number of Elk in the upper camp. While we did, in fact, see roughly 30 Cow Elk in the upper camp, it would not have been not feasible to pursue them considering the amount of time it would have taken for you to reach the cows-approximately 12 hours starting from the trailhead.

While it was unfortunate that you were not able to fill your Elk tags, we’d like you to remember that our Elk hunts are open range, you’re not hunting on a private fenced in lot with specific guarantees. We specialize in elk hunting and feel we are second to none with the quality of hunt we offer. Many of our hunters have killed some of the best and biggest bulls in the state of Wyoming and received awards for their harvests.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
F

F250

FNG
It's not conjecture. I was there and witnessed the events myself. First person experience is not conjecture. However, I agree that my back and forth with mntnguide should end.

- - - Updated - - -

One last word about the response from Boulder Basin : He must have received straight A's in school for fiction writing !!!

Btaylor

WKR
One sure fire way to avoid being butt hurt in the future is to go hunt public land solo that way the quality of your hunt depends only on your willingness to get after it. Just a thought...

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let’s put this thread to rest until we get an OFFICIAL update from the OP - like a statement from the Wyo board.

It’s beginning to take a left turn..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.