AVOID Boulder Basin Outfitters in Wyoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

F250

FNG
A heads up warning to anyone planning a hunting trip to the Cody Wyoming area. I have hunted several western states with many different outfitters. All great experiences. We thought we would try Wyoming this year, and picked Boulder Basin Outfitters owned by Carl Sauerwein off the Huntin Fool web site. He is incompetent, indifferent, and deceitful. He wanted more money AFTER we drove 2300 miles and AFTER we were paid in full. He had no plan as to were we were going to hunt when we arrived. We ended up hunting antelope with a different outfitter and left a day early on the elk hunt as it was a complete waste of time. He refused to take us in to his remote camp as he had promised us for 10 months. PM me if you want the full horror story.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I gave up on “Huntin Fool” when Garth still owned it but if he was one of their “endorsed” outfitters you should contact them and report back what they have to say. Good luck.

OP
F

F250

FNG
I called Huntin Fool. They didn't seem very interested. The guy I spoke with said they may talk to Sauerwein after the season. I offered to make the complaint in writing. He said that wasn't necessary. I have hunted with several other Huntin Fool outfitters and have had great hunts. I always thought Huntin Fool listed only the best of the best. Perhaps not...

Sodbuster

WKR
Wow, I had a choice this Wyoming season of a hunt with Carl in wilderness or go to the Ferris mountains.He was recommended to me by another Wyoming outfitter that I have know for 20 plus years.

Research the Wyoming Guide's big animal contest every year and he is always at the top, even some 400 inchers.
I chose the Ferris and it sounds like the correct pick.

PM on the way.

wyosteve

WKR
You might consider filing a complaint with the Wyoming Board of Outfitters and Guides.

Sako76

WKR
File a written complaint with Wyoming Game and Fish, they will investigate and write a report! I filed a written complaint to Colorado DOW on Cherokee Outfitters (Chuck Baker) along with a whole bunch of other people, he lost his outfitters license (as he should have). Good luck.

Sodbuster

WKR
johnhenry

There are two sides to every story. Always a good thing to remember.

For sure.My hunt is over for this year so I don't have a dog in the fight but by pm I got the OP's story.Had some questions for him and waiting on the answers.Wyoming G&F will get to the bottom.

mntnguide

WKR
Considering this is the 2nd forum ive seen this guy post this in, and both he hasnt returned to to validate any details or provide actual details. If you have an actual claim, you would have had numerous forms in writing binding you in a contract with him. Therefor you should contact WYOGA; Wyoming Outfitters and Guides Association, if you have an actual reason to aside from just going on forums blasting him without coming back to provide any actual facts to the situation. Carl has been around a long time and has pretty good reputation among wyoming outfitters, which is the most judgmental group of each other when it comes to someone being a good outfitter or bad. So like i posted on the other forum, Im sure there is another side to this story.

OP
F

F250

FNG
I have filed the affidavit with the Wyoming Outfitters Licensing Board. Their Investigator called me. We spent over an hour on the phone. He also called another member of my party and spent about an hour on the phone with him. They are taking the complaint seriously, as they should.

mntnguide

WKR
Good for you.. but for hell's sake quit bashing around the internet. There are dozens if not hundreds of his clients who would stand behind him as a good outfitter because he has been around a long time. It is unfortunate you had a bad experience and things didn't go as you planned. But i was in the industry long enough to know not all clients know what they were getting into/ or ever could be pleased. Going around bashing him on forums just cause your pissed isn't the mature way to handle your situation.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
If I had enough points for a late season Wyoming elk hunt( I don't-sob) I would probably book with Boulder Basin Outfitters. Other outfitters have spoke highly of him and he kills pretty good bulls. I have never met the man and don't have a dog in this fight.

OP
F

F250

FNG
I actually did know what I was getting in to. I have done a bunch of elk hunts, with several different outfitters, in several states. All good. Not all successful. Perhaps Boulder Basin was a fine business at one time. I will not tolerate being lied to by and outfitter or scammed for more money after I arrive. I intend to warn other potential clients and save them the heartburn of booking with him.

mntnguide

WKR
So on boulder basins website.. directly under Antelope hunt pricing, it shows in large letters.. Trespass Fees NOT included. So exactly how were you lied to when it is stated blatantly on the website about trespass fees?

OP
F

F250

FNG
During our communications it was very clear, the final payment that was mailed to him weeks prior to our arrival, was PAID IN FULL for the entire hunt. There were to be no hidden costs, nor any more fees of any type. So apparently you, mntnguide do some guiding. I too have done some guiding (waterfowl and turkey). It is just plain wrong to lie to and try to scam the clients.

mntnguide

WKR
How could he charge you for a trespass fee when he didn't know which rancher to pay yet depending on where you hunt? How i look at your situation, yes you paid in full for the hunt.. and like stated blatantly on the website, trespass fees are Not included and thus you should have been prepared for that if you just read the pricing page of the website.

OP
F

F250

FNG
The one day private land hunt antelope should have been arranged prior to our arriving in Wyoming. I called him a week before we left and asked him if he had secured a ranch yet. His answer was, "Oh chit, I forgot to ask her about your hunt. I'll call her right off". As of mid morning on the day of our hunt, he still had not secured a ranch for us to hunt on. Bear in mind that our deposit was sent in January and the hunt was to be October 31. He had plenty of time. The elk portion of the hunt was another matter all together. Any trespass fee should have been taken out of the $500.00 we had each paid him for the day. As it was, we ended up paying another outfitter to save the day.

Phaseolus

WKR
F250, It’s time to give up the conjecture. Please come back after it has been investigated by Wyoming Outfitters Licensing Board and let us know how it turned out..

Status
Not open for further replies.