Idaho Elk 20A

Has anyone actually packed in this area in the last few years? Used to pack in there and it was elk heaven. Knew it went downhill so left for greener pastures, just wondering if anyone has been stock packing back in there lately?

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m planning a hunt in 20A for third week in September next year. Will be on the river side. Good thing were young and can mountain goat up the mountain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard with Stoddard out for another couple years. The success rates have been pretty steady the last few years in 20a. People don't realize that success in 20a is heavily geared towards outfitters and horse guys. It's nothing like the 80s and 90s in terms of elk numbers. No one can knock down the predator numbers in the winter like they can with the front range units.

nphunter

WKR
We hunted it 3 years ago on the river side. We backpacked and tried day hunting from the boundary in where we had a wall tent set up. I think the hunt would be doable backpack hunting and carrying camp on your back. We saw more wolves than we saw elk, actually had a pack of at least 8 wolves come into the meadow we were camped in one night and hang out howling at us for about an hour. Was pretty cool and we watched them with the maglights pacing back and forth howling, they were not scared of us one bit, maybe because it was dark? Anyway we saw or heard wolves every day on the hunt, the only trails that were really accessible were in the areas where it hadn't burned, all of the burned areas that had came back the trails were so grown in with brush and dead fall they were useless.

I talked to two guys this year who flew or backpack hunted deep in 20a and saw zero bucks and zero bulls. The numbers are low, not like before the wolves. You could find game especially since you have an elk spot from before; they kind of return to their spots yearly. If you go, cover a lot of ground with your ponies.

With the Stoddard bridge out it makes access into a lot of that country pretty tough. I spent quite a bit of time in the Middle Fork side of the unit last year and saw very few elk considering the lack of traffic that area is getting right now. Almost no mule deer.

Justdecent, try sending a PM. Reply to the one I sent you. I don't think visitor messages are private.

Broomd

WKR
Seems unbelievable that guys would dedicate an elk season there with any other alternative....

Although it is a lush, moist walk in the park....
to05Zft.jpg

Traindriver

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Guys, I'm new to rokslide. Is there anyone on the post that would like to join up in September and fly into 20A? This seems kind of awkward but none of my hunting buddies are able to make it to Idaho. I'm man enough to say that I really don't want to try and attempt hunting this unit on my own for the first time. We don't have to hunt together if you would prefer not too, but maybe we could at least share the same camp?? I don't know if this is a crazy thought, just figured it was worth a shot to ask if anyone is interested.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Traindriver, there is “Rokslide Rally Point” made for specifically that. You might have better luck posting there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys, I have been reading a lot on here. I understand all the numbers and whatnot. I wanted to hunt elk so bad this year (first time) that me and some buddies dove in and ended up buying tags for middle fork. We will be applying for a controlled hunt but I am not going to hold out much hope for that. I keep reading that the Stoddard bridge is out? Is this still the case? We will be arriving around October 10th and hunting until the 16th. From most of my research (which is far from done) , it seems most access is on the East side of the units with very little access on the West side. I have been looking at wintering areas thinking maybe elk would be moving towards those?? IDK because I am just getting into elk so I dont know $h*t. I am going to call some aviation places but I am a machine when it comes to fitness and I am ready to pack in as far as I need to and we will have a hot tent. Sorry if I am hijacking your post as you're heading there in September.

Sure enough...we better not go there then. I'm not asking if it will beat me up. I am asking if anyone is willing to share any of their access areas. I have found a handful of areas that look very accessible to me but that may change when I get there. Access areas besides getting flown in or hiring a guide.

sneaky

"DADDY"
We would be crossing the river and it’s a long hard ride. You literally couldn’t backpack all the way up in there.
Oh, you could backpack all the way across the Frank if you wanted, you just couldn't get a dead elk out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sure enough...we better not go there then. I'm not asking if it will beat me up. I am asking if anyone is willing to share any of their access areas. I have found a handful of areas that look very accessible to me but that may change when I get there. Access areas besides getting flown in or hiring a guide.

It’s just funny to the residents and old timers here because most guys get destroyed by the Frank unless they’re honestly really strong fitness wise. Tons of access points early into the Frank units but it can snow hard in September and make access really dicey. Mid October is seriously pushing it and 50/50 odds to me of being able to get over the passes safely. If it’s low elevation access don’t expect very many elk if any down there until early to mid November. If you have a 4 wheeler it can help.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hi guys, I have been reading a lot on here. I understand all the numbers and whatnot. I wanted to hunt elk so bad this year (first time) that me and some buddies dove in and ended up buying tags for middle fork. We will be applying for a controlled hunt but I am not going to hold out much hope for that. I keep reading that the Stoddard bridge is out? Is this still the case? We will be arriving around October 10th and hunting until the 16th. From most of my research (which is far from done) , it seems most access is on the East side of the units with very little access on the West side. I have been looking at wintering areas thinking maybe elk would be moving towards those?? IDK because I am just getting into elk so I dont know $h*t. I am going to call some aviation places but I am a machine when it comes to fitness and I am ready to pack in as far as I need to and we will have a hot tent. Sorry if I am hijacking your post as you're heading there in September.
Stoddard is still out
97cc408414fd87365d2fe5619105d9dd.jpg

Idahohiker I cant PM yet because Im a newb, but I would definitely have a couple questions for you pertaining to some of the info you shared above. I know freak snowstorms can really screw someone over. We plan on hauling a large enclosed trailer so we could definitely bring wheelers. The Stoddard bridge being out is a non issue because we will have a canoe with us. From all aerial views I have looked at, it appears there are many places a person can cross the river safely.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Idahohiker I cant PM yet because Im a newb, but I would definitely have a couple questions for you pertaining to some of the info you shared above. I know freak snowstorms can really screw someone over. We plan on hauling a large enclosed trailer so we could definitely bring wheelers. The Stoddard bridge being out is a non issue because we will have a canoe with us. From all aerial views I have looked at, it appears there are many places a person can cross the river safely.
Where are you guys coming from for this hunt? Looks can be deceiving on the web and in real life for both the terrain and the water.

We are coming from MN, so I am thinking we will be coming from Salmon. I dont disagree that looks can be very deceiving!! It has happened to me a thousand times pulling up to a trailhead.