Wyoming on 5 points

I would like to find an outfitter to take my dad and myself on a hunt in 2020 in Wyoming. We will have 5 points going into the draw. We originally started building points because a friends son invited us to come out and hunt. That opportunity went away and we just weren't ready to go until now. I see many of these outfitters hunt in general tag units which from my understanding are fairly easy to get tags for. It looks like just 1 or 2 points is needed. How should I go about finding one that can hunt where we can utilize our points most effectively?

I see it as we have a few options.

#1 We burn all our points on a general tag and hunt with whatever outfitters accommodates us best.

#2 We apply for a tag that is impossible to get with 5 points and put a general tag as our 2nd choice and go with whatever outfitter we choose. Then keep building points for a future hunt. The only problem I see is I don't know if my dad will be able or want to go back in 5 or 7 years from now. And I'm not positive that guarantees us a general tag.

#3 Find an outfitter that hunts our area and hope he has the hunting style we are looking for on this hunt (horseback and wall tent) and hope for the best.

Now, I'm a dumb flatlander from MI so I could have this whole points thing wrong about how all that works. Please tell me if that's the case. Props to all you guys who are able to figure this stuff out and build points and plan hunts for multiple states simultaneously years in advance. I'm trying to plan this hunt and a 2019 Colorado archery hunt and my head has exploded!

jmez

WKR
Go to the Wyoming Game and Fish website and look at their draw statistics from the previous year for non-residents. There is a special draw and a regular draw. The special draw is more expensive, and in some cases, offers a better opportunity for a tag.

You will be able to narrow down the units you have enough points to draw in that way.

wyosteve

WKR
My suggestion would be your #1 option. Who knows how long your dad may be able to go. Also, if you want to go back 5-7 yrs. down the road, you can start building points again and have a good chance to draw your preferred unit. Just my .02!

Russp17

WKR
I would like to find an outfitter to take my dad and myself on a hunt in 2020 in Wyoming. We will have 5 points going into the draw. We originally started building points because a friends son invited us to come out and hunt. That opportunity went away and we just weren't ready to go until now. I see many of these outfitters hunt in general tag units which from my understanding are fairly easy to get tags for. It looks like just 1 or 2 points is needed. How should I go about finding one that can hunt where we can utilize our points most effectively?

I see it as we have a few options.

#1 We burn all our points on a general tag and hunt with whatever outfitters accommodates us best.

#2 We apply for a tag that is impossible to get with 5 points and put a general tag as our 2nd choice and go with whatever outfitter we choose. Then keep building points for a future hunt. The only problem I see is I don't know if my dad will be able or want to go back in 5 or 7 years from now. And I'm not positive that guarantees us a general tag.

#3 Find an outfitter that hunts our area and hope he has the hunting style we are looking for on this hunt (horseback and wall tent) and hope for the best.

Now, I'm a dumb flatlander from MI so I could have this whole points thing wrong about how all that works. Please tell me if that's the case. Props to all you guys who are able to figure this stuff out and build points and plan hunts for multiple states simultaneously years in advance. I'm trying to plan this hunt and a 2019 Colorado archery hunt and my head has exploded!

No you can't draw a general tag on second choice it will take a few points to do a general tag.

I would either do number 1 or find an outfitter that fits what you are looking for and see if you can draw a tag where they hunt. There are tags in the bighorns and lots of other areas where you can draw with the points mentioned above.

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
You should be able to get a rifle tag for unit 38, or archery 39. Give kris powers a call with Wyoming’s finest outfitters. He has a great ranch with some toads. Tell him Peter sent you.

jmez

WKR
You should be able to get a rifle tag for unit 38, or archery 39. Give kris powers a call with Wyoming’s finest outfitters. He has a great ranch with some toads. Tell him Peter sent you.

38 for rifle last year took 8pts in regular draw and would have been 38% chance in special with 5pts
39 archery 50% in regular draw with 5pts and took 8pts in the special draw

mixed bag

FNG
Spend your points wisely.You may never catch the point creep on what's now 5-7 pt units.Forget about the max pt trophy units.Im a couple points behind those and will take forever to catch those.If I ever do

mixed bag

FNG
And by 2020, when you want to hunt ,a general tag will be 3 points most likely.Unit 39 & 41 may be in your reach in 2 years in special draw;$1100 tags