Llama rental in CO

Pocu0801

FNG
Hey guys, looking into using llamas on my next hunt in Colorado. Anyone have any experience good/bad with a llama rental service located in Colorado? Appreciate the feedback.

CP

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
Antero Llamas in Salida. We rented 5 from them this year and it was $2400 for 10 days. If you haven't used them before, you will need to go through a training class with them prior to your trip. They also will rent out trailers for $20/day I believe, but we had a trailer. They did well on the way in, but coming out it was warm and we had one that wanted to keep laying down. He made it, just took longer. Antero Llamas LLC

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Antero Llamas in Salida. We rented 5 from them this year and it was $2400 for 10 days.

Wow! Had no idea they were that much. I can pay an outfitter less than that to haul me and my gear in and out on horses. I guess I'm going to have to buy some llama's if I want to use them.

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
Wow! Had no idea they were that much. I can pay an outfitter less than that to haul me and my gear in and out on horses. I guess I'm going to have to buy some llama's if I want to use them.

It's not too bad when you break it down I guess. There were 5 of us, so $480 each. What was nice is they have literally NO maintenance. When hunting new drainages we would just walk them with us in the morning and stake them out, that way they were with us if we killed something. All they require is being moved every 2 days to replenish their food supply (they will eat anything). I plan on using them again, pretty neat critters. The only real downfall is they can only haul about 80 pounds, so you would need 2 or more to do the work of a horse...

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
I should also mention that there were no outfitters that would pack us into the particular area we were hunting. All of the ones operating out of there would only take us in if we were hunting there with them and other than that they offered no pack services :(

Depends on what part of the state you plan to hunt. If you are hunting somewhere in the Northwest part of the state then renting from Antero would probably be way out of your way to haul llamas back and forth. You may be better off with a drop camp/packout service near your unit if there are no llama rentals closer. If you plan to hunt certain areas of the central/southern part of the state then Antero would make more sense.

njdoxie

WKR
Was looking at Antero Llamas myself, it’s very convenient to where I hunt, think I’ll use them next year.

Mule

FNG
Used antero my first season elk hunting. It was a great experience and Bill gave us a couple great beasts. Must watch out and NOT let them walk into a blowdown rootball hole, though. They will buck their load and cush right there! Navigating Boulderfields in the dark was also a show stopper ;)