Unit 48 Idaho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always thinking about next year. This isn't a top unit or anything but it's closer to me than some other possibly better units and I like the terrain. What do you guys think about drawing the unit for a controlled rifle bull tag? The elk density seems decent to pretty good. I don't think the age class is good but I know there are some older bulls, at least a little more than a general unit. What do you think or have you experienced on the rifle especially and archery hunts there. I'm on good terms with the bio and have scouted the unit some.

The crappy thing is there are definitely good units (Pioneer, Beaverhead, Lemhi zones for example) that are not that much harder to draw so it's a hard decision as a resident.

PM is probably best. Thanks so much!

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I think that this unit 48 49 and 55 have got way to much press lately. All crawling with out of state hunters and the deer and elk are not near what they were 5 years ago n the hunting is crowded as hell. Leaving the unit for less pressured hunting next year this year was the final straw good luck on your draw I grew up in Hailey and own a home there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
I
That is something to deal with on the deer and archery elk hunts, sure. I don't anticipate those same issues on a controlled rifle elk hunt with 100 tags and relativity low draw odds.

Do you? Do you see some nice critters in 48?

OP
I
Hillboy, I understand your concern about posting. Thanks for your help. I've found you're pretty negative about every area I've seen you post about so we might need to agree to disagree on some levels. I think there's a lot of issues in Idaho units but not everywhere sucks.

jetsled

FNG
48 rifle draw is a solid tag. Buddy killed a nice 6 last year on that tag. Saw several branch antlered bulls. Just a hard draw, but aren't they all?

Last edited:

HookUp

WKR
Wayne Carlton used to hunt this unit before it burned. Talked about 6-7 bulls a canyon. The archery success rate is about 13% and its a zoo. I'm sure you could pull a decent bull out with a gun but not sure its anything special.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
The draw odds in 48 were 23% just 4 years ago in 2014 vs 11% last year. So you tell me I am being negative no I am being real. You would not know because you did not grow up there n have your spots taken over n thr game chased out. I used to talk units n give advice now just try n keep it to general advice as I have seen damage done by social media and publications first hand. Take it for what its worth thanks.
ea2b8df14e8620aa126bbde5f9f105cb.jpg
5b9d571942507b2c6d879d4818976092.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
I
Thanks all. Feel free to keep the thoughts coming. Resident draw odds are better on these easier to draw hunts (around 20% with some including 48) and there are a few options that all seem pretty decent if not great. It's always tempting to hold out for the obvious ones with big bulls but you gotta choose. If you want to argue that we should never talk about specific units, I understand your point though I don't fully agree. I do think restraint is necessary and PMs are a good way to go.

Hillboy, thanks for your time. Let's close the book on this so we don't just keep going back and forth. I think it can sometimes be helpful to point out declines.

Iv'e hunted 48 an 49 a lot, and like hill billy stated, social media has killed alot of hunting areas. So i made a decision this year not to give any more info. except to a trusted few,about any of my areas in Idaho..

GregB

WKR
My buddy hunts general deer up thee and kills a 4 point or better every year, but he puts in a lot of miles and work that most of the other 2000 people don't. I would bet if you're willing to do some walking you can definitely get into the elk. Just looking at F&G stats harvest % is lower in 48 but 6 point plus % is a lot higher. And I'm pretty sure between 2014 and 2017 draw odds on most controlled hunts dropped just like the number of hunters in Idaho increased.

OP
I
I've felt like doing that too at times. There's an insane flood of non residents on Rokslide here asking about where they should hunt in Idaho, Montana, etc. and it affects the hunt. I've scaled back with helping especially because few report back, they just gobble up the info.

Rick, would you be willing to PM me what your thoughts are on overall quality for the unit for a rifle elk/deer hunt? No worries if not. I will do all my own research on places to hunt in the unit and am always researching new areas. If I hunt the area, I would share what I find (two way street). And I'm willing to share info on places I've hunted (39 and 27 especially). Thanks.

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 48 archery this year for nine days. To say the hunting was tough would be an understatement. I saw one elk taken. There were quite a few day users on the main roads and a fair amount of hunters but I never saw another hunter in the field. It’s beautiful country with what seems like great habitat but I saw only a few elk and very little sign and I hunted hard. I think there’s better units within a few hours.

The out of state pressure for general season deer shouldn't be disregarded. Personally I've not seen enough deer coming out of that country to get me interested in buying a tag to hunt it (I'm non resident) since the hard winter over there. Go back 20+ years and the deer hunting was pretty amazing. Elk on a draw tag will just depend on how well you know the unit and how many honey holes you can hit to take inventory of what you've got to work with.

After checking the season dates on the hunt you are talking about, I see that it has the same problem that most draw elk hunts in Idaho have. The general OTC deer season starts 5 days prior and will still be going on for 9 days after your hunt begins. That means that your hard-to-draw super special elk tag has hundreds, if not thousands, of other hunters chasing the elk into their hell holes 5 days before you're allowed to pop a primer, and those hunters will still be there for the entire front half of your hunt.
I'm not saying that it's not a decent hunt. I'm saying that season timing is doing you a real disservice. I've never hunted 48 for anything ever, but those mid October openers for draw elk hunts are a red flag for me. They are rarely the quality of hunt you think you should be getting.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Iv'e hunted 48 an 49 a lot, and like hill billy stated, social media has killed alot of hunting areas. So i made a decision this year not to give any more info. except to a trusted few,about any of my areas in Idaho..

You and me both. No more.
I hear Colorado is the place to go anyway.

Randy

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
I've considered it. Yes, it's on the "easier" side of drawing but in my mind that means that access to easy ATV/UTV areas is more limited. Good bulls, you're dang tootin...but then again I'd say that about any of the units you ask about. I'd still have a hell of a time passing on a 300 anywhere in those units but that's the only way you're gonna shoot a 320ish.

Hillbilly, to be fair da hiker has posted a thread asking for info on pretty much every Idaho unit starting with a 3, 4 or 5 so by now people are probably just confused as to where to apply :)

OP
I
I appreciate it your thoughts Schmo. I haven't drawn a controlled bull hunt yet so each year it's a new slate to consider. I don't think it's a bad deal to ask for information but some guys do and I understand the concerns. PMing is preferred anyways, not sure why a lot of these posts aren't through PM.

Schmo, I'll PM you.

Last edited:

ndbuck09

WKR
Colorado has the most elk of any state in the country! If anyone wants to legitimately have the best odds for success, they should go to Colorado! Just amazing peaks and moisture levels! This lends itself to huge antler growth, much bigger than Idaho for sure. Plus, they don't have the wolf factor down there in Colorado. If I could afford it, I'd be down there every year during the archery season. If I lived in Utah, I wouldn't even screw with Idaho hunting. I'd be popping over into Colorado for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.