Thoughts on BRO guys?

Split toe

WKR
Personally love their Land of the Free series, if you haven’t seen it check the link out below I attached. If you scroll down you can also sign up for some sweet gear giveaways. Some will say they will contribute to overcrowding on public, but they are entertaining to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

10ringer

WKR
Great post season withdrawals therapy! Love how they incorporate other solid hunters to showcase more styles of chasing and calling Elk. This series is a big win for the viewers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
These guys are awesome, like said before they are perfect therapy for the post season withdraws! I’ll be interested in what they have in store for next year. I’d like to see some of their black tail footage and maybe even some whitetail action that way there would be enough to keep me going till next season!

Beendare

WKR
Good guys;

Note to self; Its interesting to note how well their strategy of having a bunch of callers is on those bulls that hang up.

Alot one can learn from their videos. Just watch their setups and learn. I don't follow them, but I watched all their videos in about 3-4 hours just sliding past all the talk etc. Their 2017 video series was incredible. This year, ok I suppose.

ElkNut1

WKR
I know some of the guys there have the App, I had a Creative Cow Calling Sequence installed in Aug. in addition to other material, I hope they took part of that Sequence & started using it once they saw its application. It's perfect for sitting an area for hours or for hung up bulls. When utilized in a natural setting with multiple callers it is very deadly! My Son & I have used this on occasion for many years!

I guess I should watch more of their vids & see what's up! (grin)

p.s. I will see them next weekend, I will have to ask them if it helped them out!

As to the OP thoughts, it can not hurt to see a variety of guys calling elk to get a good over all view! Lots of good guys out there!

ElkNut/Paul

I liked their older stuff better, personally. I have a short attention span when I watch TV, 10-20 minutes is perfect. I have to bite the hook pretty hard to watch an hour long video of mostly guys talking. I almost never watch movies either though.

Randy Newberg's format is much more to my taste. Day-by-day but in 15 minutes.

I like the well edited short films too. You know, maybe up to 30-45 minutes that covers a trip or a season. Such as those from Gritty, Argali, or Gohunt.

I read an article fairly recently where the subject was stretching too little story line over too many episodes. The author referred to it as "Netflix bloat", which largely sums up what I feel happens to some of these channels. They feel pressured to keep producing content (at no charge to us consumers), in exchange for views, likes, shares and such to please sponsors and advertisers. Sprinkle some social media giveaways in there and you've got what appears to be a pretty successful recipe.

I watch because I'm interested and like being able to turn the TV to something I'm into, but like I said. My attention span is short.

I got rid of cable years ago and haven't missed it a bit. I can watch elk or waterfowl hunting all day and never give a single shit who's playing what on espn. I have maybe 15 minutes of football watching all year and I couldn't tell you what happened.

Forest

WKR
My only real complaint is the poor quality sound, gotta have it cranked up to hear them talk then the bugles blow you out of the room. Corey's desination elk wearing mics is so much better to listen to. Some episodes get a little a little lengthy for sure, but still better than watching dancing with the stars or whatever else the wife would choose instead lol

Jbehredt

WKR
Enjoyed their content for years. First saw them at the full draw film tour when they were the crazy guys riding Mtn bikes with trailers into the wilderness. Decided to unsubscribe from their YouTube channel last week when they dug their heels in defending a nasty quartering to shot and yet another wounded elk. Thought it was ironic this season when they pulled in to a trailhead and the lot was full of trucks, some with their stickers on them. Blew up their own plan A.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My only real complaint is the poor quality sound, gotta have it cranked up to hear them talk then the bugles blow you out of the room.

That's fine with me, I'd rather not hear anybody talking in these videos. The talking and all the blasting music that so many have in their videos, that's why I don't watch hunting videos much.

They dug their heels in defending a nasty quartering to shot and yet another wounded elk.

This sort of poor shot selection thing has happened to more than one show/channel I have followed over the years. As they’ve gotten bigger perhaps the “need” to fill tags on camera has made them far less selective in their shots every year. One other show/channel last year took a 70+ yard shot at a walking elk without even knowing exact yardage. Luckily he completely missed instead of wounding. Hard to justify that shot in my mind. At the same time we’re all fallible and maybe I would have gotten caught up in the moment and taken a poor shot, too. But their mistakes are on camera for the world to see and criticize.

That being said I’ve met a handful of these show/YouTube types in the field and had nothing but good interactions with them. Most seem like great guys just trying to make a living and I won’t fault them for that.

Great bunch of guys. They've been labeled as one faceted on other forums. I don't agree in anyway. Seems to me that outside of Colorado, when they find bulls, they kill a lot of them. But, anybody that has hunted CO can say no different. The elk are just different evidently. Anyways, I enoy them. Been a follower for a long time.

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
Enjoyed their content for years. First saw them at the full draw film tour when they were the crazy guys riding Mtn bikes with trailers into the wilderness. Decided to unsubscribe from their YouTube channel last week when they dug their heels in defending a nasty quartering to shot and yet another wounded elk. Thought it was ironic this season when they pulled in to a trailhead and the lot was full of trucks, some with their stickers on them. Blew up their own plan A.
Sometimes the "Shot" on these videos is not the same as the camera angle. I think sometimes people forget this fact. Also yardage is not always portrayed well on camera. What might look like a horrible shot on camera, may look completely different off camera. Another thing to take into consideration is the amount of practice done by the shooter to get comfortable with certain shots. If a bull jumps the string and turns into the arrow when he hears the shot will also make a huge difference. It appeared to me that all those things happened on this shot. I know some of these guys, and can tell you that the Last thing they want to do is wound an animal! It is easy to criticize in hindsight. Just my opinion, but I do have the benefit of knowing some of these guys, and trust their judgement.

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, they may feel the pressure of putting their hunts on youtube & in front of the public eye but you can tell by their demeanor that they care deeply about wounding an animal, ya it happens & it sucks, they will be critiqued, it does not insinuate they are slob hunters no more than anyone else on this site who hasn't recovered their animal. Their show is entertaining but not for everyone, they mean well & do their best at portraying how elk hunting really can be out west! Good luck to them!

ElkNut/Paul

Jbehredt

WKR
Sometimes the "Shot" on these videos is not the same as the camera angle. I think sometimes people forget this fact. Also yardage is not always portrayed well on camera. What might look like a horrible shot on camera, may look completely different off camera. Another thing to take into consideration is the amount of practice done by the shooter to get comfortable with certain shots. If a bull jumps the string and turns into the arrow when he hears the shot will also make a huge difference. It appeared to me that all those things happened on this shot. I know some of these guys, and can tell you that the Last thing they want to do is wound an animal! It is easy to criticize in hindsight. Just my opinion, but I do have the benefit of knowing some of these guys, and trust their judgement.

My opinion. Trevor was in the shot, just feet to the right of the camera. 25 yards, bull had him pegged. If they’d take that shot any day and twice on Sunday I’m not going to subscribe.

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion. Trevor was in the shot, just feet to the right of the camera. 25 yards, bull had him pegged. If they’d take that shot any day and twice on Sunday I’m not going to subscribe.

Totally your choice. Free to do what you want. Keep this in mind if you ever wound an animal! I guess you should be condemned!?!? As I said, I know these guys and they are far from unethical hunters. But I guess go ahead and make a judgement on someone you don't even know. You can't get inside someone else's head before the shot. You can clearly see that the bull jumped the string and moved a foot or so at the shot. Take that, along with the slight difference in camera angle and the amount of time these guys practice and it seems like a low odds mistake that happens to most hunters at some point. Again, just my opinion. Not condoning a poor shot. Just saying what would maybe be a low odds shot for you, might not be for them. I just believe that this was very bad luck! Look how bad he felt, and how long they looked for the Bull! Didn't seem any of them took it lightly to me!

mixed bag

FNG
I watch their videos and agree that they now seem pressured into taking marginal shots.Hate the fact that they showed everybody how effective multiple callers are.Ive used that method for 10 years.I hope next season they relax a little and realize it's not great to show low percentage shots.I don't care how much practice they do off season.Some shots they've taken should never had happened.Thats my only argument.Besides that and all those damn man hugs and I love yous

Jbehredt

WKR
Totally your choice. Free to do what you want. Keep this in mind if you ever wound an animal! I guess you should be condemned!?!? As I said, I know these guys and they are far from unethical hunters. But I guess go ahead and make a judgement on someone you don't even know. You can't get inside someone else's head before the shot. You can clearly see that the bull jumped the string and moved a foot or so at the shot. Take that, along with the slight difference in camera angle and the amount of time these guys practice and it seems like a low odds mistake that happens to most hunters at some point. Again, just my opinion. Not condoning a poor shot. Just saying what would maybe be a low odds shot for you, might not be for them. I just believe that this was very bad luck! Look how bad he felt, and how long they looked for the Bull! Didn't seem any of them took it lightly to me!

The bull did move a foot. Which is why 25 yards is too far for a frontal. Add to that the quartering to angle and you get 3” of penetration in the shoulder. I’ve been following them for years. Bought uncommon ground on dvd at the full draw tour years ago. Have some BRO merch. I’m not condemning him for making a bad shot. I watched the uncut portion of the next two episodes (with them talking about getting blasted for the shot) hoping they would acknowledge Trevor had made a mistake. They circled the wagons and brushed off the critical comments as people being negative towards them. With the platform they’ve got they need to be doing it smarter and cleaner than the next guy. They’re bringing droves of new hunters into the fold and I think that not calling that shot a mistake is doing their less experienced followers a disservice. I’ll take a frontal shot inside 20 yards, facing dead on. That isn’t what happened here. He tried to force a marginal (at best) opportunity and the results spoke for themselves. I don’t think they’re unethical. I know it kills them to lose animals. They follow up on blood like nobody I’ve seen. I honesty believe that if Trevor could have that arrow back he would take it. Why couldn’t they come right out and say that. To glance over it with generic statements like “if you hunt long enough bad things happen, learn from them and move on” isn’t quite there. I was disappointed with how they handled this.

We lost a bull this year. We spent a day and a half following up. My wife was repeatedly in tears. She made a bad shot. She apologized mightily and clearly explained what she had learned and how she would avoid it going forward. She manned up.