Thoughts on BRO guys?

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Gotta admire these guys for putting themselves out there on public land hunts. They are pretty successful given their numbers and filming while hunting and they "tell it like it is". Nice to see their following and the fact that they are getting folks off the couch and out on the public lands who are likely to become stout supporters of public lands in the future and join the battle to retain them.

These guys know what they're doing and they wound elk. Imagine how many are wounded by the gomer piles out there that don't spend as much time and energy doing it. Nuthin easy about what these guys are doing so hats off to them.

Great show - Land of the Free was epic and 2.0 is solid too. Helps pass the winter slow season and more enjoyable than 15 minutes of crap on TV. Way better than boner collector and the whitetail farming shows or the guided crap on private that makes hunting look easy. Wayyyy better.

ljalberta

WKR
Never heard of these guys before. Started watching land of the free 2. Fantastic and loving it so far! The greatest thing I love how is how it's not over dramatized.

I enjoy it, its not perfect but I watch at least some of every episode. I fast forward through some/most of the yapping. I agree I wish the sounds were better balanced since I cant stand someone whispering and not being able to understand then I get wrecked with the bugle.

I think 2.0 is having some growing pains now that they are a full on business, but i've still enjoyed the content. Its better than most Youtube hunting for sure. For hunting content my rankings are 1.Meateater by an outrageous margin Then Youtube hunting w/ 1.Remi Warren 2.Anything with Randy 3.BRO

That's my list--Meateater at the top, followed closely by Remi with Randy next. BRO isn't really on it anymore though.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
I watched the show a bit last year, enjoyed it, and decided to hop on and see them hunt idaho. Pull up the video and boom, there they are camped in a spot a mile away from where I do. Then proceed to show the world everything about it and dont care since it's not "their spot" so who cares if they blow it out. They actually made a comment insinuating that.

Looks like I'm finding a new archery elk spot...

twall13

WKR
I watched the show a bit last year, enjoyed it, and decided to hop on and see them hunt idaho. Pull up the video and boom, there they are camped in a spot a mile away from where I do. Then proceed to show the world everything about it and dont care since it's not "their spot" so who cares if they blow it out. They actually made a comment insinuating that.

I noticed that as well, I don't hunt that area personally but they made it a point to show everything on that episode. In the past they said they would protect where they hunt because even if they never plan on returning they don't want to blow someone else's spot up. Looks like that attitude changed this year.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Okhotnik

WKR

I used to hike and fly fish in that area. Shame the traffic is going to increase there. They need to work on their shooting if they want to put themselves out in the public.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
Those guys lost all respect I had for them when I watched their complete disregard for blowing up the area I hunt.

The more time I have to soak it in the angrier I get. Feels like I've wasted the last 5 years, learning every nook and cranny spending 20+ weekends a year in there just to have 1000 other guys take it over next fall.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Okhotnik

WKR
Those guys lost all respect I had for them when I watched their complete disregard for blowing up the area I hunt.

The more time I have to soak it in the angrier I get. Feels like I've wasted the last 5 years, learning every nook and cranny spending 20+ weekends a year in there just to have 1000 other guys take it over next fall.

I think your feelings are justified. But theyre making a good buck off of this.

OFFHNTN

WKR

I'd be pissed too. Have you sent them a message saying how you feel?

Enjoyed them for a bit, but don’t have the patience to watch 50 episodes of their elk hunting season. Many people get so enamored by people like them, but they aren’t any different than you or I. Yeah, it’s cool what they get to do, but I won’t I be giving them any of my money like many people already have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
And just think, anyone's spot/area could be next.

I doubt a couple of mine will, I struggle to understand why I even hunt it at times with as hit and miss as it can be.

I really like a couple of the BRO guys and strongly dislike a couple guys they hunt with. I get the being upset with showing enough country, ridgelines, etc that people can figure out an area and blow up it for a couple years.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
Did it accomplish anything? They did the same to me and my buddy this year. As soon as I watched the video, I knew the secret was out and this season would be much different. It was.
It shows they read it but didn't respond.
I just dont like that they said something along the lines of, "film everything, show everything, every peak" then film MANY telling features of the spot that they wouldnt if it was "their" spot. They even made a comment about blowing out the spot. Just wish they would have gone about it better.

It seemed like they did better this year on not showing so many landmarks. Didn't seem like Colorado was exactly a secret spot either year with the Flutie family running around.

More guys showing up in some my spots this year, but I figured out pretty quick that most of them really don't know what they're doing so it doesn't make that much of a difference. I could see how it'd be frustrating if my spots really got blown up by these hunting/filming crews. Mostly guys will try em once and realize it's not easy then go somewhere else.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Many people get so enamored by people like them, but they aren’t any different than you or I.

Oh, they're very different than I am. I won't even post a picture if it has any kind of identifiable landscape in the background that could be recognized.

I've seen pics in magazines with areas that I immediately recognize from the photos, so I know exactly where the author's were hunting. I have some of the exact same pics, and as great as they are, I certainly don't post them or send them to a publisher. And I would NEVER video anything like that and actually put it up on the internet.

A few years ago Randy Newburg and I were talking. At the time he had been struggling a few years in CO for elk. I invited him to come hunting with me, but made the stipulation that NO VIDEO CAMERAS would be allowed. He declined saying "well, that's pretty much what we do so I can't accept that offer". It's a shame that hunting has gotten so commercialized, that we can't just go out and "hunt" anymore without any other distractions from the world.

In this regard, I actually have more respect for the guys that hunt private ranches to video all their footage. I love watching archery elk hunting videos as much as the next guy, but at least they aren't ruining any of my public land areas while making money off of that.

Last edited:
A few years ago Randy Newburg and I were talking. At the time he had been struggling a few years in CO for elk. I invited him to come hunting with me, but made the stipulation that NO VIDEO CAMERAS would be allowed. He declined saying "well, that's pretty much what we do so I can't accept that offer". It's a shame that hunting has gotten so commercialized, that we can't just go out and "hunt" anymore without any other distractions from the world.

I mean, what did you expect? Newberg produces a hunting show. To his credit, he does a good job of adding in scenery shots from areas he's not hunting to kind of mix it up and throw people off.