Looking for bug (Mosquito) info on Colorado early archery hunt

Skull10

WKR
I was hoping I could get some first hand information on mosquito issues in Colorado during archery season. Late August to second week in September. I am planning my hunt and trying to decide between a 3 season tent or a floorless tarp option.

I can save almost a pound by carrying the tarp and synthetic bag instead of the three season tent with a down bag. I'm just not looking to get eaten alive or forced off the mountain by swarms of mosquitos.

Thank you in advance for any information

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Not an issue after first week in August in many areas in the high country in Colorado above 8,000 ft.Frost has pretty much killed them off by then. Plus in 2019, the season starts on the last day of August and runs most of September so mosquitoes will be pretty thinned out.

Maverick1

WKR
Agreed. Been to CO a dozen times in the timeframe you are looking at. Only had mosquitoes once, and they were very slow moving, even at around 6800'. Climbed a couple hundred feet and they were gone.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've only had mosquito problems once during archery season, and that was opening weekend one year above 11k feet. They were swarming so bad I couldn't even get the tent set up. The odd thing was that all the water showing on the maps, was dry up there. I left and set up in another area that was lower, and closer to water. Not many mosquitoes there, but apparently I set up near a giant ant domicile. Sometimes you just can't win.

Beendare

WKR
Worry about something else

As usual...I agree with Brad. I think mice and such is a bigger deal with open tarp type systems than skeeters.

As you probably know with skeeters, it makes a big difference where you pitch your shelter....even in summer conditions. So for example, I fish those high Mtn lakes on summer backpack trips and pitching my shelter on a bluff a ways above the lake with less dead air space makes a big difference in the level of bugs. Setting up in dead air space near the lake is just asking for skeeters.

By elk seasons the frost has knocked the skeeters down. Mice has been an issue for me...but mostly in concentrated camping areas.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Last year the mosquitos were brutal where I was hunting. Effers wouldn’t leave me alone.

On a late July scouting trip last year in CO at 7.5K to 8k' they were really bad, even worse around water and low areas. So bad, that I worried about it when returning in september. They were still bad, but only at those similar elevations in dead / stagnant air spaces.

Go up any higher than 9k' and like someone else said - plenty of other things to worry about.