A 2019 Elk conundrum

Hi all. So last year I got lucky and drew an Antelope tag in unit 321 in Montana (Dillon area). I’ve been to Montana several times but this was my first western hunt. I was solo, first time hunting antelope, and was lucky enough to be successful first day out. (I don’t expect that elk hunting!)

Anyway I’m already planning on putting in for general elk and mule deer next year. This is going to be an unguided, possibly solo hunt. I’m going to be prepared to backpack in a ways. Being familiar with Montana, specifically the Bozeman and Bitteroot valley area, I’d prefer to hunt Montana again. I’ve also got some good friends in the Bitteroot area, so if I make a kill near that area I’ll likely have some friends available for pack out. I’d like to hunt with a rifle, as I view this is sort of the “walk” faze after a successful goat hunt last year.

I also put in for but didn’t draw Antelope in Wyoming last year, so that’s a possibility as well. I’ve got some preference points built up from that. Thinking about putting in for both, and going Colorado OTC if I don’t draw.

A few questions...

If I put in for both states, and draw both, can I turn down either tag?

Any districts with either state someone would recommend? (I’m NOT a trophy hunter. I’m about the experience and the meat. I’d probably be fairly happy with a cow Elk if it came down to it)

Does Wyoming or Montana offer OTC Cow tags?

I’m open to Idaho too, though that’s a couple of extra hours of driving from Ohio.

Any recommended reading on elk hunting?

Any input would be greatly appreciative. This post is in the Elk forum, but input on the same question for mule deer is welcome.

Wapiti1

WKR
Go to MT and hunt near your friends. In truth, pretty much all public general tag elk hunting is the same regardless of the state. The only difference is the terrain you are hunting in. Pick a unit that has terrain you like. Open, timbered, steep, rolling, whatever. Both the Bitterroot Valley and Madison Valley offer good elk hunting. If you have friends there, you maybe have some help scouting, and they may know the roads, campsites, etc. If they help pack an animal, that is awesome. Packing an elk solo is a chore to say the least. A fun chore, but a chore nonetheless.

Last thing. If you want to hunt elk, you have to hunt them. Hunting other animals will NOT help you shoot elk. Figure 3 years to get to know a unit, and 5 before you think you know anything about the elk that live there. This assumes you hunt at least a week a year in the same spot and season. Also, understand that the first week of the general season in MT can be a zoo. If you don't like crowds, don't hunt the first week.

You also asked about reading. ELK101 is one of the best I've seen. Find a discount code and subscribe to that. Randy Newberg's videos are also very good and he also has content in the ELK101 program. The last thing is to call the biologist for that unit. Search for threads here on what to ask a biologist.

Jeremy

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
You can not turn in a wyoming tag. Not sure about montana.

zallen1

FNG
I second Elk101 for a beginner. Randy Newbergs content is also beneficial. For elk behavior I like Cris Roe and ElkNut. They both bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to the calling and set up element that can shave years off the learning curve.

Clarktar

WKR
Hi all. So last year I got lucky and drew an Antelope tag in unit 321 in Montana (Dillon area). I’ve been to Montana several times but this was my first western hunt. I was solo, first time hunting antelope, and was lucky enough to be successful first day out. (I don’t expect that elk hunting!)

Anyway I’m already planning on putting in for general elk and mule deer next year. This is going to be an unguided, possibly solo hunt. I’m going to be prepared to backpack in a ways. Being familiar with Montana, specifically the Bozeman and Bitteroot valley area, I’d prefer to hunt Montana again. I’ve also got some good friends in the Bitteroot area, so if I make a kill near that area I’ll likely have some friends available for pack out. I’d like to hunt with a rifle, as I view this is sort of the “walk” faze after a successful goat hunt last year.

I also put in for but didn’t draw Antelope in Wyoming last year, so that’s a possibility as well. I’ve got some preference points built up from that. Thinking about putting in for both, and going Colorado OTC if I don’t draw.

A few questions...

If I put in for both states, and draw both, can I turn down either tag?

Any districts with either state someone would recommend? (I’m NOT a trophy hunter. I’m about the experience and the meat. I’d probably be fairly happy with a cow Elk if it came down to it)

Does Wyoming or Montana offer OTC Cow tags?

I’m open to Idaho too, though that’s a couple of extra hours of driving from Ohio.

Any recommended reading on elk hunting?

Any input would be greatly appreciative. This post is in the Elk forum, but input on the same question for mule deer is welcome.
If your interested I have the Elk nut DVDs and play book I would sell ya. Might be a good start...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk