TJ

WKR
Ten years ago it was Cameron Hanes fault.

I don't like the competition in the back country either, but if they bust their ass to get in there
like you did, I don't mind it either.

ridgefire

WKR
They hunted an area in Idaho a couple of years ago where we have hunted for 12 years and the pressure in the area has gone up significantly since they were there. Not sure if it's a coincidence or not but that's public land for you. Hopefully the pressure dies down in the next year or two otherwise it's time to start looking elsewhere. I do like their style of hunting though, real similar to how we do it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
They hunted an area in Idaho a couple of years ago where we have hunted for 12 years and the pressure in the area has gone up significantly since they were there. Not sure if it's a coincidence or not but that's public land for you. Hopefully the pressure dies down in the next year or two otherwise it's time to start looking elsewhere. I do like their style of hunting though, real similar to how we do it.
I think you should blame Hushin on ruining that unit, not the BRO guys

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
You need to come hunt an eastern Washington rifle elk season. It's a 100 hour season and every dick with a gun is out. If you can get to it....there's a,guy there and a guy covering it with his 7000 lapua super magnum.

I've been mad at it, but it's taught me to look for pressured elk hiding holes and escape routes. I'd rather hunt them like on TV vs passing duck type shots.....but it's public land and we are all in the game.

cgasner1

WKR
I grew up in that area Trevor is actually my dads and hunting partners dentist the area that is available to hunt locally has changed a lot in the last few years most our “public ground” is actually owners by timber companies that let people hunt a few years back its became pay to play 350 bucks or so for a season pass throw in that there season starts in August fairly early and always having most of the ground closed for the first 2-3 weeks due to extreme fire danger not surprised when they pull into a spot on the opener and there is 10 vechiles waiting it’s one of the few spots that anyone can legally hunt on the opener since there isn’t much true blm public

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HondoArcher

Lil-Rokslider
We need new blood in the industry. There is no stopping Randy Newberg, Cory Jacobson, or the BRO guys from doing their thing. Archery is very hard and if someone works hard enough to master some of the skills, regardless of how, then they are deserving. Yea it sucks when you bugle and Doug Flutie responds. But when you meet them and talk with them they are often just like you. And you depart wishing them success. Randy Newberg uses the hunting pressure to his advantage, we should do the same. Don't be afraid of the competition it will only make you stronger.

We need new blood in the industry. There is no stopping Randy Newberg, Cory Jacobson, or the BRO guys from doing their thing. Archery is very hard and if someone works hard enough to master some of the skills, regardless of how, then they are deserving. Yea it sucks when you bugle and Doug Flutie responds. But when you meet them and talk with them they are often just like you. And you depart wishing them success. Randy Newberg uses the hunting pressure to his advantage, we should do the same. Don't be afraid of the competition it will only make you stronger.

Hang on- archery is difficult so if they can do it they’re deserving of what exactly? Celebrity? Industry success? Successful harvest? I just don’t understand the context of that “they are deserving”

^I read that to mean that if someone puts in the effort to be there, then they are as deserving of the opportunity to be successful as anyone else.

Broomd

WKR
It's bad for me in the areas I hunt. I'm selfish when it comes to hunting locations and will continue to be so.

Randy
Yep...can relate....but I wouldn't say 'selfish' for my part. Some of us have given to a fault over a lifetime, and personally I can list several instances where I came away with less or none and the non-res (stranger) that I helped went home with the trophy.
Hell, I opened my place to a 'slide non-res moose hunter (complete stranger) to park his rig this year--he took a great bull. Every resident in this unit that I know of including myself took small bulls. Decent bulls were very scarce.
Was happy to do it, as I have a good AK bull on the wall already, but done with the charity now, *done.* I've done my part for others as it relates to hunting in Idaho.

Guys are so spoiled with the advent of the internet....Like most from my era, I spent 30 years looking for a place to hunt that wasn't ****ing posted. Lived in northwest Indiana, struggled to get vacation time....no real money to speak of. Shooting Midwest bucks on the edge of cemeteries and shopping malls, small bucks that no one even knew were there. I was just happy to get SOMETHING. No one did sh t for me.
The internet and hunting apps, blogs and shows have changed much of that.

So....at 55, the answer for me is all too obvious. *PRIVATE PROPERTY* ....Invest in more land. Constantly working on that.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yea it sucks when you bugle and Doug Flutie responds. But when you meet them and talk with them they are often just like you.

I never meet them after I determine that they are a hunter and not an elk. I either move on, or lead them on a chase they won't soon forget. Is that mean?

Backyard

WKR
I never meet them after I determine that they are a hunter and not an elk. I either move on, or lead them on a chase they won't soon forget. Is that mean?

Or when youv'e called em in and you're standing there in plain sight with a bugle in one hand, bow in the other, and they're still coming in on you in full sneak mode.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Or when youv'e called em in and you're standing there in plain sight with a bugle in one hand, bow in the other, and they're still coming in on you in full sneak mode.

As soon as I determine that it isn't a real bull, I'm on the move........sometimes up and over mountain ridges and all over creation leading them on. Last year on my daughter's hunt she almost made me go to their camp to apologize to them. I kind of figured me slamming the truck door down the ridge and on the road would have clued them in, but they still were bugling like crazy up the ridge when we drove away.......after the chase. Aaaaa....served them right. I was working a bull for her when these two appeared from down below and bugled and cow called all their way up. The bull shut up and disappeared when they started calling, so I knew the jig was up either way.

I don't care what the stats say.....there are way more out of state hunters here in Idaho than I've ever seen.

Randy
I've hunted in Idaho for a few years as a NR. However, I didn't this year. My hunting buddy who lives in McCall said that hunting there this year was horrible due to the increase of hunters. The area(s) we've hunted in years past were a mixture of public and timber company owned land. Apparently the timber company has sold a plethora of land to the land baron Wilkes brothers. All that land that we could hunt or use to access public is now private. As a result it's greatly concentrated the hunters into the remaining public areas.

But back to the OP; it's public land. Adapt, improvise and overcome. It's not the BROkeback boys that are to blame for more people hunting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk