Brianb3

WKR
#publiclands

My first year at the BHA rendezvous in Spokane there were several hundred! Last year in Boise, several thousand! It may just be me but hunting is pretty rad and more people are figuring it out!

The next gen hunters are here!

I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbljack

WKR
While that may be true that there are more hunters in the woods and on the mtn because of them, its also true that more are becoming aware of the public lands, taking up hunting, and being another voice OF a hunter. We are a minority, so even if we have to deal with more people out hunting, I think that is a lesser evil than loosing hunting lands, the right to hunt, to carry a weapon, etc. Just food for thought.

hercload

FNG
The last thing we want is less hunters! Unfortunately, if you look at the statistics, we are heading that direction. I don’t think I need to explain why we need more hunters on a forum like this, but basically it breaks down to-

More hunters=more money=more political influence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
I think its good for the sport as a whole, but i noticed this year there were a lot more bow hunters and the quality of the hunter was a lot better. people are sounding a lot better and hunting a lot harder. the learning curve is a lot shorter these days with podcasts and youtube videos like bro. maybe i'm selfish, but kinda stinks when you spend ten years trying to figure out how to call, and now you can listen and watch a few videos and learn most of tactics. i hope we don't love it to death.

i will say in western states it seems like hunting is growing not declining. a person can just look a point creep and drawing statistics to see that, not to mention how many more people i see in the woods these days.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
Its not just Colorado and Idaho. You cant just hike far from the road anymore and expect to be alone - I would gladly pay more for tags to have less people.

Gumbo

WKR
Pressure is up on public lands, and the shows are a factor, but another major contributor is that private land is being closed off to many members of the public in lieu of leasing fees and exclusive access. This forces folks onto public land.

Yeah it sucks to see so many in places where I never saw anyone a decade ago, but to be brutally honest most of these hunters are not a factor in my success because they lack experience and/or motivation. I just accept the frustration and added challenge and am so thankful I have a couple decades experience on my side.

cnelk

WKR
i will say in western states it seems like hunting is growing not declining. a person can just look a point creep and drawing statistics to see that, not to mention how many more people i see in the woods these days.

Hunting numbers are declining. What you're seeing is the same people hunting more and more places - i.e. BRO guys

More guys are traveling to places to hunt, unlike they did years ago.

tdhanses

WKR
I think it’s great but I also think any additional pressure is short lived, people are not prepared for the difficulty in hunting out west.

I also agree that people are hunting more states today then previous.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Is it just me or does everyone in the over the counter States of Colorado and Idaho feel like they are seeing hundreds of new hunters at the trail heads and back deep because of shows like Born and Raised, Destination Elk, Hush etc Who are inviting everyone to come experience public lands? In a sense aren't public lands as a whole like a honey hole that have now been discovered because of these guys talking them up on YouTube?
Not really. In idaho the tag numbers are capped so you aren't seeing anymore hunters than what would normally be out there. Colorado... perhaps, but in the states with tag caps the numbers just are what they are. They may shift from area to area, but total numbers would be the same statewide.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
#publiclands

My first year at the BHA rendezvous in Spokane there were several hundred! Last year in Boise, several thousand! It may just be me but hunting is pretty rad and more people are figuring it out!

The next gen hunters are here!

I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boise is a helluva lot easier for a lot of people to get to than Spokane.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think it’s great but I also think any additional pressure is short lived, people are not prepared for the difficulty in hunting out west.

Interesting take. I wonder how many will remain content with burning a week of vacation and $700 for a tag to go camping in the mountains with a rifle/bow.

tdhanses

WKR
Yeah think some will try it but do wonder what the % of those are that keep going back.

The reality is that most feel just like that guy did that won the hunt with the Elk101 guys and even though he had hunted elk for 11 years you could tell he never really put in the effort to work hard at it. He seemed surprised at how hard it was to go up and down the mountains but after one day he was ready to sit over water.

Hunting numbers are declining. What you're seeing is the same people hunting more and more places - i.e. BRO guys

More guys are traveling to places to hunt, unlike they did years ago.
This may be true in general, but in many areas where the numbers of permits has remained high while the herd numbers have decreased, hunters have been forced out of regular areas and into more remote areas, hence more numbers are being seen.
A well known area gets hammered as easy areas are shot up and decreased animals in those areas are obvious.

Yes there are more hunters where they never used to be
Maybe BRO outreaches are partly the reason, I personally see in my area, it's more over selling the units for profit by the state, and forcing the hunters into more congested areas

Combine this and it explains why we see more hunters in certain areas

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

As an alligator hunter here in Florida, when the Swamp People craze hit, it was crazy. People everywhere, not knowing what they are doing. It wears off in time and like elk hunting, it takes years of experience to know what to do and when to do it. This was our 2nd year elk hunting and we are making plans for next year as well. I am driving 1600 miles to get where I am going, I will not let a dead animal dictate my success. I am 50 now and antlers don't mean much but the experience sure does. Enjoy the time afield and look at the other hunters as another challenge.

Backyard

WKR

I also think that many will be "one and done" because of the realization that it isnt a walk in the park after one or two trips into the backcountry.

cnelk

WKR
Its not really anything new that hunters will bounce here and there based on what they read / hear / watch.

In fact, back in the 90s, Jim Zumbo [Yeah, I realize some of you may have to Google his name] had an article in Outdoor Life about an elk hunting area that I was familiar with. For the next couple years we saw an increased amount of activity, but it did taper off again.

rbljack

WKR
Its not just Colorado and Idaho. You cant just hike far from the road anymore and expect to be alone - I would gladly pay more for tags to have less people.
Be careful what you ask for....LOL. In texas, its mostly private land and you pay lease fee to hunt on top of the tags. I stopped paying the lease fees when my lease climbed to 2000 per deer season, per hunter in addition to tags! I realize that's not really what you meant, but I mentioned it just to put things in perspective.

I do think what your saying is whats going to happen though. Meaning.....if hunting numbers do climb exponentially, there will be more hunts and locations placed into draw hunts, and less OTC availability. Just my thoughts on which they will head. I think its important to maintain some OTC availability though as well. As much as I like Texas, I absolutely hate the lack of public land hunting availability. Yes there is some, but its not very widespread. And I don't like the concept of paying 2k to sit in deer blinds over feeders waiting for deer to show up. Not ALL texas deer hunting is that way, but a lot of it IS. Id rather pay the Non Res fees to hunt the mtns out of state. But with that said, its already expensive!

NYSKIER

WKR
I also think that many will be "one and done" because of the realization that it isnt a walk in the park after one or two trips into the backcountry.

I second this. I know I'm never going to stop but it's a big strain on people out east who want to do it because it can be tough financially and vacation wise. I'm lucky that my job is lenient and I get 5 weeks of a year plus I can work extra a few days and so I can get some added days but not everyone is that lucky.