Seeking thoughts on Beginner Elk

I’m looking to get into elk hunting in the near future but Im not sure where to go that would suit a beginner best. I don’t expect anything easy but Im curious As to if anyone can point me in the right direction to what places to look at getting an OTC tag and having a reasonable chance at seeing an elk at a minimum. I don’t want to start applying for draw tags until I at least have an idea on how to go about hunting elk. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

bsnedeker

WKR
I would look at Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, or Idaho. All have great "OTC" hunts available. Whether you see elk or not is entirely up to you and how hard you work for it, however.

Pick a spot on the map that looks good and go do it! It is the best way to learn.

williaada

WKR
As bsnedeker mentioned, pick a unit and go for it.

I just started elk hunting this year with my brothers and family friend. There were those who liked learning how to hunt and push through, and there were a couple of us who did not like it.

Sturgeon

WKR
Dont do it. You'll never be the same
I did my first elk hunt in 2016 and literally thought about elk hunting at some point every single day till after I got back from from my 2018 hunt. I killed a cow this year but didn't shoot on the 2016 hunt. cnelk is totally right though that you will not be the same. Now I can make it through some weeks without thinking about elk hunting for a couple days, but I still think about it a lot.

A lot of the general/OTC hunts won't suite a beginner "best." Expect to be challenged. It's tough to learn and get a lot of opportunities in places that see a lot of hunter pressure.

Biggest thing give yourself way more time than you think. I killed my first elk, a cow, on the 11th day of a hunt.

jmez

WKR
WY doens't have any OTC units. They have general units but they aren't OTC. You will need a couple PP's to draw one, or be really lucky.

ChrisAU

WKR
Make sure you have someone on the same page that you can get as passionate about it as you are if you want to have a partner. I'm lucky enough to have grown up with buddies who jumped at the chance to go out west to hunt.

sndmn11

WKR
I don’t want to start applying for draw tags until I at least have an idea on how to go about hunting elk. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Get those points! While you are learning in an OTC unit, there is no reason why you cannot be putting away points so that when you are ready to try and draw a tag, you won't wish you had started collecting points earlier.

nrh6.7

WKR
^^^ This...start buying points in the states you want to hunt right away. I spent the last couple years getting gear to go on a hunt but didn't buy any points till this year. Big waste of time, but at least I'm finally moving forward. Here's a link to 2018's deadlines, which will give you an idea for 2019. Figure out how often and where you'd like to hunt, then get on it.

2018 western hunting application deadlines | goHUNT

PNWflier

FNG
I second the Elk 101 comment. Also check out youtube channels for Born and Raised Outdoors, Hushin, and Randy Newburg. All three channels have hours and hours of content on public land hunting. Randy did some great videos talking about the different states tag system as well.

Floater00

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just in the planning stages myself, and just doing that is an obsession. I'm almost afraid to actually get the hunting part...

Build points in as many states as you can financially afford to. Then in the meantime pick an area that has over the counter or leftover tags with the fewest amount of roads(preferably steep also) and go hunt. Get a reasonable distance from the roads (at least a couple miles in ideally) and you should find elk.

Going archery in September means you'll likely see/hear more elk but probably have less odds of killing them. Rifle season will mean more people and less elk (most of the time) but a higher chance of harvesting the elk you do see. Either way, be in the best physical shape possible and make sure you are dialed in with your weapon of choice. In my opinion those last 2 things are the most important. If you're not in shape, you can't hunt day after day which greatly reduces your odds of getting a bull and not being dialed in with your weapon means when the time comes to make the shot, you can make it happen. Elk are tough animals so there is no way you can be tougher than them, you can just hopefully get closer to leveling the playing field.
And like others said get ready for a life long obsession and be prepared to open up your wallet for gear. Good luck!